When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

some infos on the PAM crown project

palpatine

First of all an explanation: I was not involved in the offerings of the first batch of the crowns. I did not even know what the status of the project was when I was offline. I am receiving some PMs which show that some of the members think that I sold the crowns etc. so please understand that I simply do not know about the details of your transactions with pam ela. i will forward the pms to pam ela of course and do whatever i can to help you...

Here is an update of my involvement in the crown project: i simply helped the initiator of the crown project pam ela with my input etc to get the best out of it. The plan was that I get crowns then for my customers. and then i went offline due to the death of my mother.

Now after being back again, i called him 3 days before to get the status of the project and heard that he went on on his own and sold his first batch which is understandable of course because I was not able to participate for some weeks.

I read that the crowns were not 100%. But still far better than the rep crowns in my eyes but I know that we are a bunch of eagle eyed and insane members here which are 100% into details :) so we are satisfied when its 99% or 100%.

He told me, that the drawings etc were very good (and modelled after our input) but it seems that the man who made the crowns with the CNC machine did not follow all the instructions 100% to make them exactly like in the drawings. Its hard to explain that but everyone who already worked on some things like that know that its very hard to get people to do EXACTLY what one want, especiall we the watch nuts which are 100% into details. so he simply did not make the 100% correct bevel. thats what pam ela told me.

the situation now is: he is already working on the next version of the crowns and in this run I will be involved again with my input. He also wants to offer a special deal for the customers who bought the first version crown. If they want to, thay will be able to upgrade at a very low price (costs of making) to the updated version if they want to. So he tries to find a fair solution for the ones who already bought one of the crowns from the batch (which are not bad IMHO, still way better than the rep ones). Pam ela has spent a lot of money to make the crowns and it does look like he will not get back the amount he spent on the first batch, so that’s pretty

that is the latest news i got:

there is a new batch already in the making which (hopefully, if the CNC man follows the drawings 100% exactly this time) will be the better and close to perfection. My latest info is that it will take 1-2 weeks until i receive the first crowns out of the new batch which i will check out and post a detailed review.

So lets make it short:

PAM ela offers the follwing:

Members who want a crown from the first batch can still buy these from him for a reduced price.

Members who bought crowns from the first batch can upgrade at special conditions

Members who want a crown from the 2. improved batch can get these soon in 2 weeks.

I will get the new ones as soona s they are finished and write a review. If they are as good as they should be, i will be able to get these for my "customers"

thats what i know so far and i will stay on teh ball and keep you updated!

cheers tommy

Hi Tommy, So sorry about your mother but very glad to see you feel able to start posting again - we missed you. Sorry for Pam's losses but unfortunately that's the way of the game when you do these things. I have now lost money on the datewheels, but hey - that's the risk.

Welcome back and thanks for your effort, Palpatine! Beleive me, we all know how hard these projects are...

Will the new batch be sold at the same price--$35?

Hi!

i am not sure about the final price of the new batch, i will ask him if he already knows that.

@all!

thanks, its good to be back and do some watch stiuff again! :)

I'm in... if they are good, I already bought crowns from Lello that my watchmaker refused to install.

I have an 029, a 196, a 192 waiting.

As I explained earlier, these must be BROACHED... milling would be uneconomical and would not leave a finish similar to genuine IMO

I would be interested in a crown... look forward to your review when it is done...

@Finepics... when you said you lost money on the datewheel... is it because you did not sell all of them? or some other reason? I am looking for a datewheel for my 029... is there any available?

edit: I realised that this is for the 7753... I will be waiting for good news that there will be a run done for the 029/063's

I would like two crowns. One for my pam 196 with 7753 and my hopefully soon to arrive pam 63 with 2893 movement :whistling:

I will wait to see how this batch turns out. I am eagerly waiting for pics of the new batch!

What movement stems will these new, improved crowns fit?

they will be made to fit ETA 6497 manual and 7750 auto stems. i will check if they will fit on asian auto movement stems too...

there will be also a (smaller) run in titanium

Edited by palpatine

How do we preorder? PAM doesn't respond to emails/PMs.

you do not need to preorder, as far as i know, there will be enough crowns.... :)

PAM is very busy at the moment, this project consumes all his time.

as far as the new crowns are available, i will get a few and i will post a review. then we all can place an order!