When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New to this whole rep watch thing

Gigatron

Hey gang,

I'm new to this whole rep watch arena. My reason for even getting in was that I needed a decent looking dress watch. Since I work in server cabinets all day long, I wear a beater luminox during the work day, but I wanted something nice for going out on the weekends. Anyway, I settled on a submariner from Andrew. I ordered it Sunday and got it on Friday.

Since account upgrades are closed for now, I'm having some problems finding all the info I can. I'm not familiar with all the board shorthands and abbreviations like TTK or MBW or any of those, so I don't know if I got a good deal or not (since I can't seem to decode half the posts I read).

So, did I get a decent watch or not? Are there things that are known to be glaringly wrong? Things that can be easily recitified? Over the long run, how accurate is the movement (swiss ETA 2836-2)?

Thanks,

Fred

Well Fred, I'm sure you did fine. Andrew is a trusted dealer and the 2836-2 is a proven movement. If you got the 'noobmariner' for $188, you can't go wrong- it's a great deal. Maybe you could post a pic or a link, so we can see which watch you got.

looks great for your first i would wear it, Pics are ok too, better than mine! Dont get too concerned if people critisise the most minute detail here, it is what they do. Enjoy that watch and get it wet.

Lucky noob, you did fine :)

TTK is a respected dealer and a watch collector (search for his photoalbum for hours of window shopping trough his rep and his personal gen collection, amazing), MBW (Maria Best Watch) is line of very high end rolex rep (mostly Subs and SeaDweller) intended for high end rep collectors who want to mod their rep to perfection (they can use genuine rolex part)... stay with us for a while and you'll come to this :)

As for your new Sub, wear it well, and welcome to RWG

Cheers

Thanks for the welcome (and the warning ;)), gang.

I'm used to nitpicking as I frequent foums for other hobbies who are just as bad or worse when it comes to minutae.

I'm just happy I got a decent watch. Usually, I'm the one that finds the one everyone else knows to stay away from. You know, the watch that's filled with pinball machine parts and has hands that are painted on (hey, at least it's accurate twice a day :whistling: ). I do hang out with a couple gen owners, so I probably won't be able to slip one by them, but if the rest of the general public thinks it real, I'm ok with that (not that I'd ever tell people it's real, but I'm not going to advertise that it's a rep, nor correct them if they think it's real).

I was kinda hoping the itch for a rolex would stop with this one, but seeing this kind of quality at such a low price, has me eyeing a few others as well...oh well.

-Fred

I was kinda hoping the itch for a rolex would stop with this one, but seeing this kind of quality at such a low price, has me eyeing a few others as well...oh well.

-Fred

Wishfull thinking Fred.

You will get all of them.

Then you will buy genuine parts (a crown let's say)

Then you will try to look at genuine crystals...

Then you will be F****D

Sorry, but that is the reality of this hobby...

Oh and WELCOME :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Welcome Fred.

Nice choice there. If you are hanging around gen's then it will be fun to show them one of the good comex you will find around this place. The holy grail for most of them ;) Only to see a replica of it, might bring tears to their eyes :p Better be open that this is a rep, because they will be able to tell, but it will be fun for all of you.

Spend some time reading and looking at pictures in our community, and try not to go on a shopping spree. Look at the great guides that you will find in the signatures of our top posters. We are lucky to have their contribution.. And stay away from Panerai's for you WILL buy more than one in the end and your submariner will start looking too small to be a gent's watch.

Excellent job, Fred. You made a great choice and your pics are great, too. Wear that watch in good health and with your friends who sport gens and don't look back- just remember, you paid less than 1/20th of what a new gen would cost and 99.9% of the people will never know the difference.

Im a noob to the forums, but definately not a noob to replicas. Ive come along far enough to want a really nice replica. A replica like Gigatrons might be acceptable, or a MBW would be fantastic. The most difficult thing for me seems to be finding a place to purchase them from. Any suggestions?

Fred,

You should be very happy with your ETA noob. The reason I say that is not all noobmariners have bezel teeth as sharp as yours does. There's a lot of variance in quality. The one I got had poor teeth. They are almost pointed instead of gear-like. Look around at others. You'll know you are very lucky. Yours is exceptionally nice and is one of the best looking noobmariners (along with my beginmariner) I've seen.

-bk

Wishfull thinking Fred.

You will get all of them.

Then you will buy genuine parts (a crown let's say)

Then you will try to look at genuine crystals...

Then you will be F****D

Sorry, but that is the reality of this hobby...

Oh and WELCOME :thumbsupsmileyanim:

So true....8 months ago I confidently declared I would never buy an MBW.......I'm polishing my 1665 GW right now!

You guys have made me feel so relieved about my purchase :thumbsupsmileyanim: . My biggest fear was spending the $218 (after shipping) and getting something that looked like it came from a gumball machine.

It's funny though, my sister, who wouldn't know a real Rolex if it hit her in the noggin, said "That doesn't look real, a real Rolex wouldn't say Rolex on the face". I just laughed and walked away. I hope every "expert" uses that kind of reasoning :whistling: .

Next watch(es) I've been considering is either a two tone blue/gold submariner or a blue/ss Omega SeaMaster Pro. I'm not really leaning either way as both have plusses and minuses. On the one hand, I already own a sub (and a nice one at that, from what I understand :rolleyes: ), but the two tone is really classy looking. The Omega is nice in that I don't own one already, but the blue on ss would look, at first glance, like my submariner.

Even though this is the Rolex forum, what do you guys think of the omega from trustytime? Or the two tone sub?

-Fred

Hi Fred, I am glad you are settled in on the board, I think you will love it here. I would avoid the gold stuff, the plating tends to wear off. If you are in the market for an Omega, I would keep your eye on Whacko Bird Keeper (Dealer) over on the RWI, he sells a nice little version for under a $100, asian movement, but totally decent!

RWI

And yes, the guys here are even more anal than our friends on the prop boards, god love em'

Edited by yt74