When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is a Rolex Sub-replica close to the weight of the gen?

Uhrenfreund25

Very much so. I have the TW Sub with the solid mid links (better IMO than the hollow) and it feels very close to the gen. With the solid mid links, it may even be a tad heavier. It's a rock solid watch.

I don't have experience with the CN cased Subs so I cannot comment on those.

Jet

Edited by Jetsons

The gen is 135g. I weighed my SS ETA Sub with hollow mid links, and it came in at exactly 135. I've had a couple of people hold it and say "oh, I can tell it's fake because it's alot lighter than the real one". It really got me wondering so I looked it up and weighed mine. Apparently these bozos haven't held a gen in their lives.

Rest assured that these new models are quite accurate, and with the right mods only the freaks could call you out and be able to back it up.

For some strange reason many people think Rolexes are a heavy watches. Nothing could be further from the truth. GMT and Explorer II are around 126 grams. You should see my father's old genuine GMT, it's very flimsy and light.

Rollies are lightweight watches compared to Omega, IWC and Breitling.

Here's the weight chart for you. These weights are measured with all bracelet links attached:

35844-39370.jpg

By-Tor, what a trip . . .

I posted that chart (& link) on the post about a TT when the weight subject came up, then came & read this post . . .

I'd say great minds think alike, but I've been feeling a bit burnt lately, and you probaly wouldn't want to be hanging in my crowd . . . might be contagious . . .

8^)

B

I personally prefer the hollow-link reps. The fact is that the watch balances better on the wrist with the lighter bracelet, and that is what Rolex intends. This is true with my gen Explorer II, and it's true with my reps.

I have a solid mid link YM rep from abay that feels nice and solid when you heft it in your hand, but it is simply less comfortable to wear.

• 2 weeks later...

A guy at my girls work wanted to check out my sub today and he was very impressed with it and the only thing that he said was that it was lighter than his friends gen sub. I told him that it my watch was the same weight or about the same as the gen. I think he was talking about an older model.

I personally prefer the hollow-link reps. The fact is that the watch balances better on the wrist with the lighter bracelet, and that is what Rolex intends. This is true with my gen Explorer II, and it's true with my reps.

I have a solid mid link YM rep from abay that feels nice and solid when you heft it in your hand, but it is simply less comfortable to wear.

I agree kanerich, I have a Sub with Hollow Mid Links and a Datona with Solid Links and the Sub is far more comforable to wear.