When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 6036...real or fake?

indyberetta

It looks like a frankenwatch. The movement looks like a V730 (I think the V72C had microstella screws on the balance), but the components look too new for that age of a watch. Also, the seller sells aftermarket 'Rolex' parts for Valjoux movements and I would be very surprised if this watch did not contain some of his 'upgrades'. I doubt the watch would pass a Rolex inspection, if that is what you mean.

It looks like a frankenwatch. It is probably a Valjoux of some form, but the components look too new for that age of a watch. I am pretty sure that watch would have had a V72, not a V72C. Also, the seller sells aftermarket 'Rolex' parts for Valjoux movements and I would be very surprised if this watch did not contain some of his 'upgrades'. I doubt the watch would pass a Rolex inspection, if that is what you mean.

I agree. His other items for sale kinda fill in the blanks. Still looks like a very nicely built watch though.

Guest avitt

The array of offerings, combined with the AZ address, point to Jensen Dinh. That would mean that this is a straight up franken (VJ72C rebuilt with replica Rolex parts)...His pieces are quite nice and unique, but very expensive.

are those GEN daytona 6263 cases in his listings? $1250? Looks like hes building some REALLY nice frankens!!

WOW now i want one! LOL here we go again...

Edited by L-dizzle

Here's a watch from Bernard Watch in Austin to compare to the Franken by Jensen Dinh:

http://www.bernardwatch.com/item/RLX2987

Interestingly, it has the pointer on the balance bridge, I guess making it early, before the microstella balance was introduced.

It would be interesting to find out what Jensen wants for his franken- it actually looks very nice (and new!)

The mechanical details of Jensen's frankenwatches are as good as some of the project watches seen here, but he needs to fit them with better dials. I cannot imagine paying his asking prices for a watch with a dial that has so many obvious mistakes (some of the crowns are actually painful to look at)

279903-1118.jpg

I just had a little time to look at the stuff the Jensen Dinh has on ioffer and it's very interesting. I just wish he'd put some decent bezel inserts on his vintage Rolex watches! Case engravings look ok, and he's able to put Rolex movements in his stuff. I also like his 6036 case w/ assymetrical pushers. Some interesting stuff. Sure wish I knew what his source was!