When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A newbie

$tingray

Joe, The bezel had a chlorinebath for 60 sec. and the paint on the back was removed with acetone and a toothpick.

/J

I also recently received the same watch from TTK. That's exactly how I want mine to look like! I'm going to try the bleach tonight and I have a new bottle of acetone. Couple o' questions:

1. Did you throw the whole bezel with insert into the bleach?

2. How did you get the distressing on the watch case without removing all the parts? I don't have a rolex case opener yet, but want to get started. What tools did you use?

3. The HE valve looks great! What did you do to make it look that way?

4. Finally, Is that just a really old black NATO strap, or did you age that as well, how?

Great job!

I also recently received the same watch from TTK. That's exactly how I want mine to look like! I'm going to try the bleach tonight and I have a new bottle of acetone. Couple o' questions:

1. Did you throw the whole bezel with insert into the bleach?

2. How did you get the distressing on the watch case without removing all the parts? I don't have a rolex case opener yet, but want to get started. What tools did you use?

3. The HE valve looks great! What did you do to make it look that way?

4. Finally, Is that just a really old black NATO strap, or did you age that as well, how?

Great job!

Hi screech! I will try to answere your question, but have in mind that English is not my mothertoungh :rolleyes:

1. Yes you can put the complete bezel in the bath! I strongly suggest to do short periods because you really dont see the result untill you have

washed it. I used a glass and after appr. 60 sec, i start to fill the glass with water, use a lots of water. Try to avoid to touch the bezel until its dry. repeat if you want.

2. Pop of the bezel, cover the glass and the back! use "sticky tac" Im not sure about the English word but the type you can use for posters etc.

I also covered the space between the lugs. 1/ Put some coins and screws, nut etc. in a can. be gentle. 2/ Use the same can but put some round small stones instead. :D (same as used in flower pots) Strip the back from the sticky if you want some light "wabi" on the back... and shake it gently once again

Avoid to shake "up/down" try to move the can so the watch and stuff rotate together. Do you follow?

3. I didnt do anything specific to the he valve, it simply turned out that way during the abuse mentioned above

4. The Nato is grey from the beginning, but it

Great job Stingray!

Weathering the dial and hands to balance out the aging, replacing the crown/tube and a gen crystal will go a long way. I'm not too handy myself but with all the great info/how-to's on this forum I managed most those mods with less than a $300 investment in the tools to do the job. The dial and hands I left to The Zigmeister (I'm not that talented), Flav does great work too.

I think the bigger part is the satisfaction you get doing the work yourself.

Here's my MBW DRSD and what was done to it:

tmg DRSD

PM me if you need help sourcing any parts.

Regards,

-TMG

Great job Stingray!

Weathering the dial and hands to balance out the aging, replacing the crown/tube and a gen crystal will go a long way. I'm not too handy myself but with all the great info/how-to's on this forum I managed most those mods with less than a $300 investment in basic tools. The dial and hads I left to The Zigmeister (I'm not that talented), Flav does great work too.

I think the bigger part is the satisfaction you get doing the work yourself.

Here's my MBW DRSD and what was done to it:

tmg DRSD

PM me if you need help sourcing any parts.

Regards,

-TMG

Sweet DRSD you got there! I sure will PM you when Im ready for the next step...

Well I did it, some of it at least. I did some distressing last night using a cookie tin full of screws and bolts. It was so loud that my wife said that it was distressing her. :blink:

For the back I removed the paint using a toothbrush and acetone. I tried using CLOROX on the bezel, but it doesn't have enough bleach to do anything, so I'll have to get bleach tonight.

Here's the results.

post-6185-1184692745_thumb.jpg

The caseback:

post-6185-1184692801_thumb.jpg

HE valve:

post-6185-1184692902_thumb.jpg

Well I did it, some of it at least. I did some distressing last night using a cookie tin full of screws and bolts. It was so loud that my wife said that it was distressing her. :blink:

For the back I removed the paint using a toothbrush and acetone. I tried using CLOROX on the bezel, but it doesn't have enough bleach to do anything, so I'll have to get bleach tonight.

Here's the results.

post-6185-1184692745_thumb.jpg

The caseback:

post-6185-1184692801_thumb.jpg

HE valve:

post-6185-1184692902_thumb.jpg

screech! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Holy **** .... I can see that you are the kind of guy that goes all the way ;)

I like it! Don