When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can Neo or YOU identify this person

gran

Back from work, he invented the Tourbillon. It was in the link I gave earlier.

1795 Abraham-Louis Breguet invented the tourbillon, which he patented in 1801

Correct answer :thumbsupsmileyanim: or at least this was the one I was after and imagine it was patented in 1801 :blink:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What didn't he do?

"He studied watchmaking in France and in England and invented different escapement methods, including the tourbillon, and re-winding mechanisms. His watches and clocks are widely regarded as some of the most beautiful and technically-accomplished."

That pictured bust is on his grave. Unless, someone else wanted his face on their grave....

Thanks Gunnar! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Been enjoying myself!

Damn just read the other posts... Do I get credit for the year of the invention and patent ? :group:

New question

If you can identify this schlosser and early watchmaker I will be quite impressed

41152-38103.jpg

One of his portable timepieces

41152-38104.jpg

I want name, date and maybe even the nick name for these "watches" or more accurately portable clocks

g. :)

This is a picture of Peter Henlein (1480-1542). Born and died in Nürnberg. Educated as a locksmith in 1509. Considered the inventor of the portable watch. He created the first one with balance wheel and steel spring in 1510. It had a running time of about 40 hours. His watches were eagerly copied (first rep in history, ladies and gentlemen!) - some signed by the name 'Peter Hele'. Henleins watches were cylendrical - contrary to the well-known egg-shaped watches, known as 'Nürnberg eggs', that developed after his death.

So I'm sorry Gran - I don't know the nickname of Henleins watches. But I hope the other things were satisfactory.

Edited by In Absentia

:3a: Great In Absentia :thumbsupsmileyanim: you are a winner (I guess this was not so difficult as I said becuse I hade linked the pictures :lol: ) but we need the nickname for the watches ....anybody?well actually you haad the answer to that too namely 'Nürnberg eggs' :thumbsupsmileyanim:

:3a: You are the winner :3a:

You're right - the picture of the watch was the key. However, there seem to be some discussion (at least on the webpages I've read) if Henlein's watches are also known as 'Nürnberg eggs', because they were not egg shaped - that came later. But if that's what qualifies me to win this contest, by all means let's just call them 'Nürnberg eggs' :D

New question!!!!

Who created this special watch and more importantly why did he come up with this practical idea of making a REVERSO?

41686-38018.jpg

Regards

Gran :)

That is a Jaeger-Lecoultre Reverso.

Back in the days of colonial rule in India, a British Army officer is said to have dismounted from his polo pony in a distressed state after discovering his wristwatch had been smashed during a particularly hard-fought chukka.

Striding into the clubhouse, so the story goes, he related his misfortune to an entrepreneurial watch distributor called Cesar de Trey who took the tale of horological woe all the way back to the small mountain town of Le Sentier in Switzerland, where Jacques-David LeCoultre ran a watchmaking business established by his grandfather in the 1830s.

Rather than simply sending advice back to India that perhaps polo players ought to ride with their wrists unadorned, LeCoultre and his business partner Edmond Jaeger rose to the challenge of creating what could fairly be described as the first wristwatch specifically designed for a sport other than swimming.

With the help of a Parisian engineer called Rene-Alfred Chauvot – whose speciality was making dental instruments – they developed a rectangular watchcase that could be swivelled 180 degrees so its glass and dial were protected.

LeCoultre patented the idea in 1931 and called it the Reverso, explaining in contemporary advertising material that: “A watch, and more particularly a bracelet watch, is exposed to accidents in all spheres of social activities and sport. To be able to prevent these by a simple gesture is a very great advantage.”

Ok I'm going to take a pot shot at who and say..........Jacques-David Le Coultre

But the why was simple.............In 1931 the Brittish Officers in India wanted a watch the could take the many bumps of a Polo match hence the Reverso

Pip Pip old chap

Ken

Edit to add I see I was beaten to the draw

Not bad Ken :thumbsupsmileyanim:

and the name I was looking for was Cesar de Trey as I now can see In Absentia has mentioned in his post

Jaeger-le Coultre Reverso

The polo-playing man-about-town of the 1930s was just not properly dressed unless he had a Reverso buckled to his wrist--it was the sports watch of the day. Former denture maker turned horologist (watchmaker) Cesar de Trey was visiting India in 1930 and encountered a large number of polo players, whose cracked watchglasses may well have testified to their sporting prowess, but made telling the time a bit difficult. His solution was to devise a watch that, with a quick flick, could be turned over to reveal a steel back, thus protecting the glass from stray balls and flying polo sticks. This reversible watch also allowed the vain playboy to engrave either his initials or his coat of arms on the back, turning the watch, in effect, into a testosterone-charged signet ring.

New question!!!!

Who created this special watch and more importantly why did he come up with this practical idea of making a REVERSO?

41773-37997.jpg

Regards

Gran :)

JLC Jaegar LeCoultre... one side is solid to protect the watch face during some strenuous activity.

Crap!

Stop posting questions when I'm at work!

From now on you can only post new questions between the times of 1330-1400 GMT (lunch) weekdays, and from 2230GMT-0100GMT

Maybe then I'll have a chance.

:bleh:

I don't log in at work.

Don't like using passwords at work as I know IT can scan everything, even though I have admin rights!

Besides, with this on, I would never get any work done. :yawn:

This questions is not about a Horologist but about a watch!!!

43802-37662.jpg

What is so special about this particular watch? and during what period was it first made? and why were they able to make (only) this watch at the time?

Regards

Gunnar :)

Good jobb cornerstone :thumbsupsmileyanim: its true that I have to stop linking like that

"The first ever Timex watch, from US Time. The US Time Corporation had been making clocks with the "Timex" name for a short time before this, but the Timex name first appeared on a watch, in this prototype model. During the war, like most other industries, the US Time factories were converted to war production. Civilian watchmaking came to a halt. According to the well-researched book, book by Kathleen McDermott, Timex: A Company and its Community 1854-1998, "In October 1945, after using this name on a small trial shipment of nurses watches for a year - the very first time that the Timex name appeared on a watch - US Time received official rights to trademark 'Timex.'" I have confirmed with Mr. Carl Rosa, historian and curator at the Timexpo Museum in Waterbury, CT, that this is indeed the watch.

It is interesting: Based on the McDermott research, the watch appears to have been shipped in 1944, probably made that same year, or maybe 1943. There was no civilian watch production at US Time, and presumably a watch designed to be worn by nurses was considered to have been in the vital interest of the war effort. Well, not a military watch, but definitely a wartime production watch"