When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Office

BilboBaggins

I'v been a big fan of The Office, ever since it came out in the UK. It's now a cult classic amongst my friends at uni! :D

Watched the American Office and, whilst funny, it can never live up to the comedy genius that is Ricky Gervais.

Any other fans?

Jon

I've not seen the UK version (Although I hear it's great) and have managed to only catch a bit of the American version. A Co-worker said it's funny, but I have yet to really watch it.

Trust me...its hilarious :D

I find the UK version much funnier, but thats obviously because i live in the UK...perhaps the US Office caters more for the American comedy taste.

Jon

The UK original was hilarious. Hope Ricky hasn't peaked too soon though!

JTB

Good lad...another fan :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ricky is still about dont worry...some great standup comedy shows (Animals and Politics), and he has just released some cracking podcasts.

Long live the King of cringe-comedy! :D

Jon

I've seen a couple of episodes in the US with Steve Carrell, but didn't like it too much. Too slow for me, plus they overexaggerate his stupidity.

I agree...the comedy in the US version at times appears forced.

Jon

Its so funny I can hardly watch it...I sometimes get embarasssed watching these people in the "office" :lol:

Yes yes yes! Thats it Gran...it is so cringe-worthy...i find myself embarrased for Brent!

I know many people that simply 'do not get' the humour...but for us fans it is pure hilarity! :D

Jon

Guest overboosted

Being a "yankee" I appreciate the US version much more.

Watched the whole season DVD of the Brit versiion, and it was pretty good. But Steve Carell is pure comedy gold to me. He was great in Anchorman. Stole the movie from Ferrell.

Watched the whole season DVD of the Brit versiion, and it was pretty good. But Steve Carell is pure comedy gold to me. He was great in Anchorman. Stole the movie from Ferrell.

Interesting...thats what i thought...they have managed to make it appeal to American taste.

Also, Ricky Gervais wrote the 1st episode of the US version as well...and it is virtually identical to the 1st episode of the UK version (with slight Americanisms)...makes for a very interesting comparison between Gervais' and Carell's styles.

Jon

Guest overboosted

Yes,,,I have been watching the US version since it came on TV, but just recently saw the Brit version, and was blown away by the similarities. I thought it would be just the same concept, but some of the stories and plots were basically the same. I guess the Brits can have credit for this one. Still, both very entertaining.

i for one preferred the brit version to the us. i used to watch it a few years ago on bbc america. great show for sure - but then again i also am a huge fan of old school ali g as well.

did anyone catch ricky on the daily show with john stewart? pure comedic gold!

I love the US version - I have never seen the UK one. I have listend to Ricky's podcasts though.

Nice one CJ...the podcasts are brilliant. The three people from the podcast (Ricky, Stephen Merchant & Karl Pilkington) also presented a radio show for years...some hilarious stuff :D

Jon

Unfortunately the signs are not good. The episode of the Simpsons he wrote was probably the most poorly written and unfunniest episode in recent years.

Sadly your right...i sat down to watch the episode with great anticipation, after a big build up by Sky...talk about anti-climax! :thumbdown:

He should just stick to what he knows best...which is cringe-comedy and great stand-up :)

Jon

I concur! Steve Carell was awesome in Anchorman. Last night was a classic. Women actually fell for him. I think the guy that plays Dwight is the funniest one on the show. I work with a guy who is exactly like him-Weird!

To me the UK version was much funnier than the US one but then I am a fan of most British comedies especially stuff like allan partridge, big train, spaced etc, maybe it comes from being in a colony!

Allan Partridge is a genious. I would like to add Little Britain to the list.

To me the UK version was much funnier than the US one but then I am a fan of most British comedies especially stuff like allan partridge, big train, spaced etc, maybe it comes from being in a colony!

Good shout...might have to dig out my old episodes of Alan Partridge...has me in stitches every time :D

Jon