When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Friends In High Places

Victoria

This is how the Governator, one day future President of the United States if you believe Matt Groenig, got his first Panerai watch, a Pre-V Slytech at the opening of Planet Hollywood in Kaleefournya.

290542-5705.jpg

Arnie and Sly first strike up the Cohibas, and lo! what does Signor Stallone have hiding inside the humidor? Why a present for the rugged Austrian with the funny accent!

Sly 1: 0 Arnold

290542-5706.jpg

And judging by the length of their stogies, Arnold couldn't take his eyes off of his new bonanza, still gazing at it 30 minutes later. You can tell he's already judging what size Orbita winder he's going to have to purchase for his new toy.

Been there, done that, Arnie.

Sly 2: 0 Arnold

290542-5707.jpg

But then Arnold and his natural dominant attitude took over, and he was showing his new watch to anyone who would take a peek. "Look, I got me a Paneerye. It's aw-zome!", he said as their lickspittles stared at them with adoration.

Or maybe people were curious how two human beings could look so much ike their own waxworks at Madame Tussaud's...

And is it me, or does Sly look very "bottom" in this photo?

Sly 2: 10 Arnold

So there we are. The famous story of how Arnold Schwarzenegger got his first PAM from the Italian Stallion, and the rest is history.

But you know what they say -- a picture speaks a thousand words, especially when it tanks at the Box Office. Spy Kids 3-D, indeed, WTF.

Cool.

I've never seen those pictures.

Nor I. I came across them a German rep forum and thought they would be fun here too. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Anyone know exactly the association Sylvester Stallone must have with Panerai, or Arnold with them or Audemars Piguet? Do they get free watches, I wonder, or an input on their own watches if bought.

I'm torn between liking the fact that Stallone made the Panerai de rigueur with many in Hollyweird, and being slightly appalled by it.

Nor I. I came across them a German rep forum and thought they would be fun here too. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Anyone know exactly the association Sylvester Stallone must have with Panerai, or Arnold with them or Audemars Piguet? Do they get free watches, I wonder, or an input on their own watches if bought.

I'm torn between liking the fact that Stallone made the Panerai de rigueur with many in Hollyweird, and being slightly appalled by it.

I think every actor gets free watches. Bastar*s!

Appalled like many purists. Mellowed somewhat these days and now total indifference suits me fine.

As for Arnie, never have the words "only in America" been so ironically appropriate - good luck with that :whistling:

I think every actor gets free watches. Bastar*s!

Not true.

While Sly may have got free Panerais, he bought a lot. Unless there is an official sponsorship on the cards, most actors have to buy/rent/borrow like the rest of the world. This is why you will see a lot of actors wearing their own watches in movies.

Looks like he's still a big fan. If I'm not mistaken, he looks like he's wearing another PAM in this shot from his new Rambo film.

Good catch. But what model? For a second it looked like a 089, and though it's Titanium, it's not got GMT, or anything. I can't place the model at all...could it be a fantasy rep? *g*

Looks like he's still a big fan. If I'm not mistaken, he looks like he's wearing another PAM in this shot from his new Rambo film.

Looks almost PVD ... Base... with orange lume???WTF???... yep, I have no idea at all.

But at least he's kicking dudes' @ss for wearing a timex. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Good catch. But what model? For a second it looked like a 089, and though it's Titanium, it's not got GMT, or anything. I can't place the model at all...could it be a fantasy rep? *g*

Or perhaps the soon to be launched new Slytech?

I have no idea.

But I'd love to have a John Rambo limited edition PAM.

Do you hear me mr Stallone?

Looks almost PVD ... Base... with orange lume???WTF???... yep, I have no idea at all.

But at least he's kicking dudes' @ss for wearing a timex. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

All Rambo-films feature a new knife designed to sell as spin-off/fan-merchandise...maybe Panerai will launch a special edition Rambo Pam as well (sure hope not, though). Hey guys, please don

Edited by mastergod

Actually I do believe he is more of a fan of Panerai than Brad Pitt is of Guess Sunglasses. Brad Pitt is known to be a bit of an advertising junkie - Tag Heuer, Rolex, Honda, Toyota, Sanyo to name just a few. I'm sure Stallone doesn't only do it out of the goodness of his heart, but he has been a little more discreet and he seems to have almost exclusively worn PAMs for the last decade. Perhaps without the attention of these "white-trash" action stars, there wouldn't be nearly the amount or quality of PAM reps available, so, "every cloud..............."

Despite this, I don't think he needs another signature PAM, I'm sure he could find something suitable already produced.

Yeah, don't you guys watch the Sopranos??

I stopped watching after S2, when Pussy was killed. :(

On another note, member VDBroucke informs me that I goofed. The watch forum in German was a gen watch forum, similar to Risti.

Trust the Germans to be so anal. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Just to make things clear: SLY and PANERAI

....right before the plans for the Stallone movie "Daylight", Sylvester was in Italy and came accross this big italien navy watches....he immediately fell in love and managed to get a special order of around 200 pieces with special dials and casebacks...the SLY TECH

Just to make things clear: SLY and PANERAI

....right before the plans for the Stallone movie "Daylight", Sylvester was in Italy and came accross this big italien navy watches....he immediately fell in love and managed to get a special order of around 200 pieces with special dials and casebacks...the SLY TECH

Arnie and Sly first strike up the Cohibas, and lo! what does Signor Stallone have hiding inside the humidor?

Humidor? Sacriledge Ms Barrett !!!

That's not a humidor.. That's the Pre-Vendome box the Pams were coming with ;)

Humidor? Sacriledge Ms Barrett !!!

That's not a humidor.. That's the Pre-Vendome box the Pams were coming with ;)

Wow, thanks, V! I love learning new stuff, and this is definitely a must for a Paneristi. :winkiss:

Anyone know how the Slytech presentation box looked like? I'm guessing Panerai did something special, but not sure.

@V: I was going to PM you, then thought the last thing you want to do is read your Inbox...but HAVE A GREAT HOL!