When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

From Reps to a Collection to a Special Collection

fotoman

So - i wanted to write a bit in my mini blog here, - i will append this to my larger thoughts on collecting. One of the things that you first notice when you find the boards and the websites is that there are SOOOOOO many reps you want. LIke a kid in a candy store, you could stuff your pockets with watches and run out and still be looking for more the next week. However, i find, and i read that others find to that many of the watches just "don't get any wrist time" - Well, why is that? Sometimes the photos just look better than the watches. Its tuff to look at a 12 inch blown up image of something that is less thatn 2 inches on your wrist. But often, the watch just looks really cool, but it doesn't fit your mood, or it doesn't speak to you or you just have better reps that move ahead in the rotation.

Well, then comes the next issue right? money isn't finite. Most of us are on a budget. A lucky few can collect and collect and not worry about it and all the best to them, but for 97% of us, we have pick carefully because we do have limits. And in my case as so many others finances can get tight and watches need to be sold. Then we have decisions to make. Watches? or Something else like a digital camera for instance. Decisions Decisions Decisions. Well, it is those decisions that have taken me through my journey of collecting, i don't know 2 dozen reps or so not including the watches i have gotten for other people. But i have come to a place. I have come to a place where each of my remaining watches is almost impossible to sell because they are "special." Maybe cause its Gen or an original project or a modded watch or just one i really love. If its easy to let go of a watch or its not getting wrist time, I have decided to move on from it. I want the $$ i have working for me. I don't want it sitting on the shelf. I want to enjoy the watches or use it somewhere else.

My tastes have also evolved. I say evolved because one, my lifestyle has changed. My dress has changed. And after owning watches the attributes i look for have changed. For instance, i love big bulky breitling watches ect. But i have a muscle condition that causes chronic pain and most of the time having a heavy weight or something dangle around or even too tight just becomes very annoying. Sometimes i can take it, but the average day at work, doesn't do it. So i have tried to find watches that are more "comfortable" to me.

I first started out with some reps from Andrew. This is before trusty clones, back when you had to email him for prices and look at his photobucket. My first piece was a corum admirals cup. I had tried one on in the islands and thought it was super cool. I know i ordered something else at that time, but i don't remember what it was :) Then came the panerais. At the time it was the only "Super rep" and by that i mean a rep that had a real Gen feel and didn't feel fake or cheap. Then there were the straps. Man i spent alot of money on straps. From the whole "pam" thing. I ended up keeping my 177h with my V straps, which, are nicer than the watches - i actually keep the watches so i can wear the straps. I also kept my first custom pam the - 666. The others were too heavy and weren't getting worn, besides, i need to clear the way for hte super reps - the breitlings.

Of the breitlings, i had the BCE - the BCE Gold the Bentlys and this stupid watch that no one woudl want and i couldn't believe they were making, the steelfish. Angus seemed to be excited about it - and i understand why, its a super super rep. They just did this one right and its special and cool and i get tons of compliments on it. They also improved the straps which makes a huge difference.

Beyond that, there are tons of watches out there i "want" but none of them bad enough to sell what i have. The "brand" name, which used to be a big part is much less important. the movement, plays a role, but in reality, all watches use the same 5 movements with a little tweak here and there.

So what keeps a watch in my collection? well, it has to be special. i have 2 custom projects - the new one i most excited about and i'm actually wearing right now. I'm waiting for my clasp before i unveil the El Skawronek. But that and the 666 are there. I have a few Gens - my corum bubble which i love because its "artistic" and "out there" I have put my V tan strap on it and its really comfortable now and looks really awesome. I just got a tissot t touch titanium. The thing ways nothing but looks beefy. Also it tells me the temperature and acts as a compass and i think thats freaking awesome. My citizen i don't wear much unless i'm going to the beach or something and i don't want to get it wet, but it doesn't have much value so i can't really sell it. I also like it cause its solar powered - thats just awesome.

I have my 177h because i have modded the hell out of it and frankly it has the coolest strap i have ever seen and i love the strap as much if not more than the watch.

THen there are the reps - a noobmariner LV - fun to have, little to no value to sell, so it stays. Blue STeelfish - i love this rep and when i'm "in the mood" for those heavy watches- there i go. and I'm in the process of acquiring a busted portugese chrono that i'm hoping to fix. I really want a "pilot" style watch with a huge face, no bezel and really simple small numbers maybe a small seconds. Basically like a portugese 44mm but there is no high end rep and all of the other "rep" companies like zeno or hamilton don't have one that cuts it. There is a zeno that fits that slot but its new and 1800 and i just can't think of swinging that right now.

I recently sold my BCE and GOLD BCE cause i just wasn't wearing them. I used that $$ to fund my new El Skawronek and get a new digital video camera. It was a big transfer of resources but i maximized what i have to fit my home needs. I have shifted my collection a little dressier and lighter more comfortable watches that actually get worn. I'm sure this isn't the end of the journey but it was a huge shift from Corum Admirals cup to pams to cheaper reps like the JLC and Corum Bubble to the Super reps and now with a collection that leans Gen/ Original Design.

Where my interests go next will depend on what the factories start to put out. I could get sucked back in and get more reps or i could continue down an "inexpensive" gen and custom path.

the journey continues . . .

That made fantastic reading! Of all the watches you have owned, what has been your favourite?

I have had many favorites. Today i'm going to say its my El Skawronek. I have some personal pride in it as well as it rocks. For a time my PO was my fav. My 177h is a top one. My PAM 47 was the pride of the collection for many months and the Steelfish mmmm.

Hard to say between those for all time, if i had to pick one probably the steelfish with blue strap or Skawronek.

Ok fine the Skawronek wins because of the personal pride aspect. :)

allthatsh!tbyYou.jpg :victory:

heheh...just kidding...nice write up man! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

looks like big brother's no bad word troll nixed your photo :)