When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Insanity

dangerman

I was all set to get the replica of the Superocean Steelfish . But first I wanted to see it in person, so I went to the a local AD.

While there I saw they stocked IWC as well. Saw the 3717 in the flesh. Wow. This is the watch that got me into reps when I started looking for a less expensive alternative to the gen. Around $6700 Australian dollars ($5700 US).

Then the madness started. Crazy thoughts. Must...have...IWC... Pilots... Chronograph. Want it. Need it. I have to have it. Not the rep. I want the real thing. I want it bad and I want it now!

This is madness. Utter madness!

Let me start by saying I didn't get it. Just too many responsibilities and higher priorities ie mortgage. I'll wait a few years and see how I feel then. But the seed has been planted. I'm on a teachers salary so this is a truly extravagant amount for a watch. More than I thought I'd ever spend on a gen. The most I ever imagined was a Speedmaster or Seamaster or maybe one of the Sinn watches.

Now I just have to decide between the near perfection of a Steelfish Rep or the 3717. The IWC is less perfectly reproduced, has a less reliable movement, is more expensive, misaligned datewheel; and yet it is the one my heart would have me go with. Tough decession. Heart or head.

Your recommendations are welcomed.

I'd also love to know if anyone else has ever been seized with an insane watch lust like this before?

Well i have the IWC pilot 3717 with the slow beat Asian 7750, so called unreliable movement but let me tell you its a beauty and movement works great. I made a post before about the movement being different from previous Asian 7750 slow beat movements

I also went to the local watch store in Brisbane and tried it on and its a beauty but the price is crazy AU$7495 for the SS strap model and around AU$5000 for the Leather strap model.

My advice, buy the slow beat rep for one of the 'collectors' here and replace it with a Genuine Swiss ETA 7750. Thats what im doing.

EDIT:

Forgot to say, you can also get the Asian rep of the SOSF from silix at $100 - Bargain! and all in a teachers salary!!

For me that lust is called Aquatimer Chrono.

Oh, and 3717 vs SFSO? Here's my solution:

293749-3498.jpg

I guess that was always going to be the answer. I'm kidding myself if I think I won't eventually end up with both.

Perhaps it will cure my gen lust too. There I go again kidding myself. Oh well a man has got to have a dream right?