When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega UPO Light or Rolex YM ($188 from Andrew) as an everyday Watch?

guanaco

Hey guys, after lurking for a while in the forums and looking at many, MANY reps that are convincing even to some watch pro's, I've narrowed down my search for my first Rep. The Omega Ultimate PO 'light' with orange numbers (Asia Eta 2824-2 28800bph) and the Rolex Yachtmaster Rolesium (New version with Swiss ETA 2836-2 Movement), both from Andrews in which the UPO is $128 and the Rolex YM goes for $188. Catch is, I want one as my everyday watch but I just can't decide on one, could you guys help me choose? I have a Gen. Speedmaster that I used t wear everyday, however I wouldn't want anything to happen to it so I'm leaving it for special occasions only. So guys what do you say, both are beautiful watches as you can see, so, Omega or Rolex?

293755-3496.jpg

293755-3497.jpg

I have just 2 questions about the 2 watches:

1.) What are the differences between the 'Light' UPO with the Asia Eta 2824-2 28800bph movement and the UPO with the SWISS movement?

2.) Should I waterproof the UPO 'light' or Rolex YM, whichever I get? I'm planning on using it on the beach. Andrew will do it for me for $50.

Thanks guys!

My dad wears a Yacht-Master, but on white face. The thing is absolutely magnificent. The bracelet and bezel are so sparkly, twinkling in even the most faintest light. A great buy.

On the other hand, the Omega is a great watch too. I have tried it on at the store, and it really wasn't my style, but I do own a Seamaster GMT new version which is quite sharp. Perhaps the Omega is a fundamentally better rep, but you just cannot beat the appearance and sheer attractiveness of a Rolex sports watch, especially if you don't have one yet. The amount of looks you will get from people is typical Rolex, but be aware that few people will give the Omega a second thought...

Good luck! I know its tough to make a hard choice like this. But if I were in your place, looking for my very first rep, hands down it would absolutely be a Rolex... absolutely no contest. Omega would not even be in the list... maybe for your next one, you can choose more of a 'connoisseur' piece, but you should know that Joshua sells like twenty of those perfect Omega's every week... they are extremely popular watches, while the Yacht-Master is much rarer, as people often choose the Submariner for their sports model needs.

Either way, you are clearly a different person than myself. When I first discovered reps, I knew what I wanted, a full gold president on gold face with gold gold gold... that's it. Nothing else compared. Only now am I starting to gain more experience and buying things like Breitling, Omega, Patek Philippe, and of course, everyone's favorite... Panerai!

Good luck!

Never seen Rebel without a Cause, so can't really compare them... I didn't dislike Breakfast Club, it just didn't appeal to me as much as other Hughes movies, or indeed the movie Hughes should have directed, Weekend at Bernies...

:omg: Don't do things like that, you totally got my hopes up :nono:

Now it shall be condemned to a life of collecting dust with my Rolexes :D

I got both.. UPO for myself (Omega the younger hipper brand, imo) and the Rolex YM for my dad

I'll take pics of both l8r on a lightbox cuz i haven't since i got them, it's about time to try and take "proper" pics

^^ it boils down to this.. the main difference between UPO and YM.. YM has more bling.. why? polished SS

my prference? UPO of course :thumbsupsmileyanim:

For everyday the UPO is definitely the best choice. It has the style that will be appropriate for sport or work. The Yacht Master rolesium is a bit on the "bling" side to suit me for everyday wear. I find it OK for occassional wear and great when the event calls for more than casual atire.

The difference between the Asian and Swiss movments means much to some and nothing to others. IMHO, the Swiss ETA 2824 or 2836 movements will provide you with the best long term service and accuracy. However, there are those that will argue that the Asian movements are just a accurate and if one should fail replacement cost is less than $20. That is all well and good if you have the knowledge and skill to replace the movement yourself. If you don't have the skills, the quality of the Swiss ETA will make it your obvious first choice.

I used to have a YM. It's a lovely watch, but not one I would consider for every day wear. To me it's a special occasion/weekend out-to-dinner/party/concert type of watch. Of course that depends on your income level and work situation. But for every day wear for most people, I don't think the choice is even close. I'd go with the UPO.

Planet Ocean any day. The issue with most of Andrew's Subs, SD and YM is the inaccurate rehaut. Way too conical. I have an Ultimate from Andrew and I was really disappointed in the rehaut. The watch is very reliable and the dial is great. I've even thought about getting a Noobmariner or Beginmariner and swapping my movement into if it would work. (btw, if anybody knows if this would work please let me know)

BTW, I've decided to go with the Omega PO (Ultimate 'light') $128 from Andrew, and I'm thinking about waterproofing it for the $50 he asks for that service, any thoughts on the waterproofing? I would appreciate any comments if there's a cheaper way of waterproofing it, a DIY, etc. Or if it's completely necessary and if it will change anything in the watch, I have to let you know before any ideas arise that I am going to use it on the beach and occasional shallow dive (20m at most) hence why I need the waterproofing, thanks for your input guys!

BTW, I've decided to go with the Omega PO (Ultimate 'light') $128 from Andrew, and I'm thinking about waterproofing it for the $50 he asks for that service, any thoughts on the waterproofing? I would appreciate any comments if there's a cheaper way of waterproofing it, a DIY, etc. Or if it's completely necessary and if it will change anything in the watch, I have to let you know before any ideas arise that I am going to use it on the beach and occasional shallow dive (20m at most) hence why I need the waterproofing, thanks for your input guys!

I don't want to tell Andrew's potential customers to do this or that.

Ask your local watch repairman how much he charges for waterproofing.

Sometimes the watch is "waterproofed" out of the box, so to say...

Many people who get their watch serviced claim it comes to them covered in oil and dirt, supposedly from the fingers of the repairmen initiating the modifications. Mine was waterproofed and indeed the bracelet was very grimey... so it is a possibility. Overall I would not trust their waterproofing to swim, maybe a walk through a rain storm, but not to swim... if I wanted to swim with it I would take it to a pro to get it waterproofed.