When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Explorer I vintage

FasTTaP

I have this watch (bought from trusty). It is as far as I can tell a very good rep. I have studied photos of the gen and can see no glaring faults. The piece I have lets water in quite badly so no showering or bathing but thats just the luck of the draw. I do not know of any mods that would make it better other than some ageing to case and dial. The only obvious flaw is the movement (mine is eta 2836 - I think) which ticks too finely, the original would not have been that good!!

The lug spacing is 20mm on the rep. and 19mm on the gen.

Other than that it is 1:1.

Good analysis, but the 1016 was also available with 20mm lugs as this watch was made into the 80's. I've seen gen's fitted with 78360 braclets which are 20mm. It just depends on how vintage you want to go.

This beauty is from 1980 and is with 20mm lugs

297649-799.jpg

Edited by stilty

That MBW is a great base for a nice explorer. I've been looking for one these for a long time.

Just for everyones information the lug spacing on the full size explorer model 1016 was always 20 mm. The air king size explorer model 5500 had 19mm spacing. The 1016 was marked on the dial "SUPERLATIVE CHRONOMETER OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED", while the 5500 was marked "PRECISION".