When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone sell pre-modded submariners?

Spoooooonz

2 reasons -- First, to make it worth the modders while, he would have to sell the watch for $2,000 or more (as an example, click here to purchase a fully modded vintage Daytona for $4,500, plus the cost of a working Valjoux movement which you need to purchase separately). Would you be willing to pay that for a modded rep watch? The most accurate watches got that way because someone with the acquired knowledge & necessary tools, spent many hours working on them. Second, modding rep watches is a hobby, but selling rep watches is an illegal activity.

For a base modded ETA submariner (noobmariner) you would want to see a new bezel insert added, modded crown guards and maybe a little 400 or 600 grit sandpaper on those razor sharp bracelet edges and maybe oil the bracelet as well for better feel. The next step up would be some vintageizing and a gen crown and tube. And you can go from there.. dial swaps, movement swaps.. it never ends and neither does the price....

a basic package would be about $300 as you said. That sounds about right. $200 for the sub plus $100 for bezel insert, CW work (some models would be more $ depending how bad the guards are to start with. Some members report up to 20 hours to get them perfect) and a quick polish. Adding a gen crown and tube and some more polishing and your up to about $450? Then if its a vintage MBW you can add a gen crystal and drill out the lugs for gen springbars.. the list goes on. Your best bet is to find the best sub you can start with as a base and send it to a modder or better yet, attack it yourself.

Lonnie

basic ETA submariner + superlume, bezel pearl and inspection = $300. PLenty of room for profit there

err... what's a GW ?????

GW=great white....meaning white letters as opposed to the red lettering on the DRSD (double red Sea Dweller)

As to the availability of a pre-modified watch, have a look at some of the Submariner offerings from Andrew and Joshua that go for around $500 :o

You have to decide if the mods are worth the price.

Edited by jdavis

good point.

Yeah i didnt even think of that. They sell pre serviced subs and some with modded crown guards (so they say). I have a sub thats identical to Andrews Ultimate ($458) but mine was much less $. but mine isnt pre serviced and my crown guards were much worse so it looks like there is some custom work being done to the higher end watches.

GW=great white....meaning white letters as opposed to the red lettering on the DRSD (double red Sea Dweller)

As to the availability of a pre-modified watch, have a look at some of the Submariner offerings from Andrew and Joshua that go for around $500 :o

You have to decide if the mods are worth the price.

My 2 cents on the cca 500 usd sub. from andrew and josh is that it just does not justify the expence ... u can get an MBW 16610 from the likes of TTK, fit it with gen tube - gen crown set, change the insert ... all for cca 500 :) (estimate dont quote)

In my book thats far better use of ure hard earnd cash ... no disrespect to andrew and josh they are stand up guys this is just my opinion ...

Regards laz

basic ETA submariner + superlume, bezel pearl and inspection = $300. PLenty of room for profit there

$300 would get you a DIY Sub kit with the parts needed (lume kit, bezel/pearl) but when you factor in labour costs, you're looking at considerably more.