When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Date overlay from Cubics-Work... Help?

the playful eyes

I'm on my 3rd one! It's soo hard to put it on the date wheel without getting glue on it, without misaligning it, and withing bending it. Curse me and my fat fingers! This is driving me absolutely insane in my membrane! Any hints for putting that sucker one or better yet... Anyone willing to put it on for me? I'm going bonkers! Thanks for letting me vent! :lol:

EDIT: i'm trying to get it on a 2824 for my 16233 project.

Edited by the playful eyes

I'm on my 3rd one! It's soo hard to put it on the date wheel without getting glue on it, without misaligning it, and withing bending it.

Any pics to show us exactly what you're on about?

ps. Have you thought of putting the datewheel on the overlay instead of putting the overlay on the datewheel? B)

lol! i'm getting the parts backward. Yes yes, I'm trying to put cubic's datewheel on the metal wheel from the movement. That was what I've been trying to do. Sorry for the confusion. Thank you for pointing that out pug! :)

Any pics to show us exactly what you're on about?

ps. Have you thought of putting the datewheel on the overlay instead of putting the overlay on the datewheel? B)

Sorry for the confusion. Thank you for pointing that out pug! :)

I was actually suggesting that you put the overlay face down on a hard surface and then gently lower the datewheel onto it with Rodico.

You mark both the overlay and datewheel on the edge (hidden by the dial upon completion) at an alignment point (in line with the bottom of the 2s on 22, for instance) and gently line them up before letting it stick. A datewheel is a much easier object to manipulate than an overlay.

@p/e,

I've never done one!

However I have used a UV cure glue for crystals, the one I have is relatively thin, and not "sticky", very easy to work with.

It doesn't go off, until you either put it in the sun, or under UV light.

Just thought it may be an alternative to "sticky" glues, more workable. But I have no idea whether it will do the job!

Offshore

What glue should I use?

Epoxy works great, but remember that when it dries, it shrinks a bit, so apply drops across from each other.

I've also used dial dots, (basically double sided tape) this way you can lift up the overlay and adjust as necessary.

I feel your pain brother.

I am having the same troubles getting it perfect. I have it where I can live with it now, but I am far too picky to not bust his sucker open and try again one day. It took me damn near a full day to get it like it is, so I gave up.

I used GS Hypo cement and you can move it a bit but you have to hurry. I only used a few drops.

Pug,

I have tried to place the date wheel on the overlay, but so much overlay hangs over I cant get the datewheel back on the movement. The little piece that you must push back to get it into the notch of the date wheel cant be seen with an overlay over it.. I hope that makes sense. If you know how to do this, please share.

299230-3532.jpg

299230-3533.jpg

Hi please take a look at the first picture.

It was sent to me by the guy I sold franken datejust.

Overlay was from luenfat or cubic-works. (same individual)

As you can see in the pictures it was accomplished trough dial stickers but still no luck.

In the second picture you can see first attempt, this time with glue.

Needless to say both times my watchmaster didnt accomplish task very well.

I am constantly triying to educate him about franken wathces.

According to my watchmaster the overlay raises a lot the heightness and therefore a hand (sorry cant remember which hand was) gets unused because it covers the canon pinion.

I have seen however that other members have resolved this with luck.

I would like someone to point me to the right direction or url forum. I think there was a pictorial guide sometime ago...

now I am tired, here is very late but had to share this experience with community.

Edited by manuel

Getting an overlay to fit below the dial has nothing to do with luck. You must first remove all of the paint on the original datewheel before you apply the overlay to it. Some people sand the paint off, I just used my trusty can of paint remover -- it took all of 15 minutes for the stripper to remove all of the paint down to bare metal. Then I applied the overlay and reinstalled the datewheel. It fit below the dial without any problem.

However, keeping the overlay stuck to the datewheel & getting all of the dates on the overlay into the correct position (and keeping them there!!!!!) so all of the dates appear correctly placed in the center of the dial window is another story. In the end, I removed my overlay and reinstalled the original MBW datewheel. I got tired of spending so much time opening the watch and re-tweaking the overlay and decided to just wait until someone comes up with a proper metal datewheel that replaces the original metal datewheel instead of gluing an overlay on top of it.

oh yes, I recommend cutting the dial dots in half, otherwise, they can stick to the movement or spacer ring, etc. Then the disc won't rotate.

Here is how I usually install the overlay.

Clean the original, or even remove the paint.

cut your dial dots in half and set aside for use.

only put one piece of dial dot on eta date disc. I put the first one on stem side. Then beginning with 11, gently place on overlay, do not press down, just gently set it.

Then, install dial to see if the 11 is centered in date window of dial. once centered, pull stem to quickset function and advance to 26. does this line up? If so, bingo! but it probably doesn't. carefully move the overlay and adjust until 26 is centered. Once 26 is centered, advance date to 11 and check to see if it is centered. Unless very lucky, you will have to repeat adjustments a few times. but making adjustments is easy since you only have one small piece of dial dot holding in place. Once you get both the 11 and 26 centered, everything else will line up. Then proceed to place another dial dot, usually directly across, and most likely under the 26. Double check to ensure nothing has shifted, and once you are happy, you can press down for a firm grip. Then you can place a few more. you will need a steady hand and set of tweezers.

You can also use the same procedure using epoxy, but you will have a limited amount of time before it sets.

it just takes practice, but anyone can do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. Still wiating for my next date wheel to come from Hong Kong. Messed up yet another one. I'll seriously pay someone to do this for me. AHH :p

299230-3532.jpg

299230-3533.jpg

Hi please take a look at the first picture.

It was sent to me by the guy I sold franken datejust.

Overlay was from luenfat or cubic-works. (same individual)

As you can see in the pictures it was accomplished trough dial stickers but still no luck.

In the second picture you can see first attempt, this time with glue.

Needless to say both times my watchmaster didnt accomplish task very well.

I am constantly triying to educate him about franken wathces.

According to my watchmaster the overlay raises a lot the heightness and therefore a hand (sorry cant remember which hand was) gets unused because it covers the canon pinion.

I have seen however that other members have resolved this with luck.

I would like someone to point me to the right direction or url forum. I think there was a pictorial guide sometime ago...

now I am tired, here is very late but had to share this experience with community.

Where you successful in getting a open 6 and 9 datewheel from Cubic-works?

If you are looking for an open 6 & 9 date disc, here is one on ebay. just search this auction number: 230159967686

This will be slightly thicker than the cubic-works disc. (.10mm thicker) I assume you are looking for open fonts as you are building a franken based on 3035 calibre? If that is the case, you can use the slightly thinner 2824-2, and use the genuine as an overlay. For $20, I don't think you can beat that price! The date progression is the same as ETA for the 3055, so this is probably your best bet.

• 1 year later...