When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replica Watches On Display at America's Finest Malls

BobM

I work right across the street from the Galleria Mall, in Houston, TX. The Galleria is one of well known, very high quality shopping malls in America.

Sometimes I take a break and stroll over to the mall to browse around. Sometimes I visit the two fine watch stores, just to look at the goodies. The sales folks are always happy to see me, happy to show me their new merchandise, let me handle any of the lovely watches they have. We visit and talk watches. We all have a good time.

Today I went over to the mall to make an enquiry about a watch bracelet the I might want to buy for a watch I have yet to purchase for my grandson. Just planning ahead for Christmas.

I went to the watch repair and band-and-bracelet shop on the lower level. I looked at bands and bracelets ... asked questions of this helpful saleslady. I thanked her and turned to leave ... as I was walking away, I saw it.

"What is that?", I asked, pointing down toward that beauty wrapped around a small display pillow. "That? That's a Rolex ... well, a copy of a Rolex.", she said. "May I see it?" She pulled it out and disengaged it from the display pillow. I handled it. Now, I had been handling the gens in the watch stores. This one felt good! ... It looked good! Rolex Day-Date President, SS, dark blue dial with stick markers, fluted bezel. Hmmmm ... heavy, solid links on the bracelet. All the markings and the looks were right. Very nice! I was impressed with the watch. I couldn't help but mention to her that I had a similar one on order and I could only hope the one I would receive would be as good quality. I also could not help but point out to her that if she would go up one floor and go about five stores to the east, she could see the look-alike of this watch priced there for about $23,000.

I was impressed also with the realization that this replica was on display in this high-end mall, for all the world to see. Now, there was absolutely no suggestion that the replica was for sale, ... it was just a "for fun" display ... but the fact that it was on display within spitting distance of two Authorized Dealers stores, in this well respected mall was impressive to me. Wow! What will we see next?

That was fun! I went back to work with a big grin on my face. :D

She should be careful... those ADs won't think twice about dispatching some police (this being Texas, some "sheriff's deputies") and hauling her a-- off to jail regardless it being a "just for fun display" as she claims. The lady is, in my opinion, playing with fire - and may get third degree burns as a result!

Did you like my fire metaphor? I did.

this is of course your idealized texas.

She should be careful... those ADs won't think twice about dispatching some police (this being Texas, some "sheriff's deputies") and hauling her a-- off to jail regardless it being a "just for fun display" as she claims. The lady is, in my opinion, playing with fire - and may get third degree burns as a result!

Did you like my fire metaphor? I did.

Wonder who the supplier was. You should return & get a pic.
I did take time to walk over today. I visited with the owner. It turns out that replica is FOR SALE. Here is the deal:This is a watch repair shop. They repaired this watch about a year ago. The customer never came back to claim his watch. The repair shop has called several times but no one has come to [pay the bill and] get the watch. They put this watch out on display about 60 days ago. They know it is a replica and they know it is illegal to sell a counterfeit watch. The poor guy just wants to gets paid for his repair work. I asked how much had "had in it". He said $150. I don't believe he really has that much in it even if he were paid full fare for his repair service. Maybe he does. Also, maybe that is why the customer never came back to claim the watch.It is not a watch that I would have on my TO-BUY list but if he still has it by, say, October 1st. I might offer about half what he has on it now. It is a President day-date, and I have a President day-date on order. It might be useful as a backup for parts ... not that I wouldn't wear it from time to time.Since he has no idea from what dealer the watch came from ... and in the context of our conversation, I just didn't feel right asking if I could take a picture.In our conversation the watch shop owner said he had repaierd a couple of other replicas. He commented about the good quality oif the movement in one of the replicas he repaired. So .... now I know I have a watchmaker available who will repair my replicas, even if my regular repair shop should decline. It was a useful visit.
I did take time to walk over today. I visited with the owner. It turns out that replica is FOR SALE. Here is the deal:This is a watch repair shop. They repaired this watch about a year ago. The customer never came back to claim his watch. The repair shop has called several times but no one has come to [pay the bill and] get the watch. They put this watch out on display about 60 days ago. They know it is a replica and they know it is illegal to sell a counterfeit watch. The poor guy just wants to gets paid for his repair work. I asked how much had "had in it". He said $150. I don't believe he really has that much in it even if he were paid full fare for his repair service. Maybe he does. Also, maybe that is why the customer never came back to claim the watch.It is not a watch that I would have on my TO-BUY list but if he still has it by, say, October 1st. I might offer about half what he has on it now. It is a President day-date, and I have a President day-date on order. It might be useful as a backup for parts ... not that I wouldn't wear it from time to time.Since he has no idea from what dealer the watch came from ... and in the context of our conversation, I just didn't feel right asking if I could take a picture.In our conversation the watch shop owner said he had repaierd a couple of other replicas. He commented about the good quality oif the movement in one of the replicas he repaired. So .... now I know I have a watchmaker available who will repair my replicas, even if my regular repair shop should decline. It was a useful visit.

I did take time to walk over today. I visited with the owner. It turns out that replica is FOR SALE. Here is the deal:

This is a watch repair shop. They repaired this watch about a year ago. The customer never came back to claim his watch. The repair shop has called several times but no one has come to [pay the bill and] get the watch. They put this watch out on display about 60 days ago. They know it is a replica and they know it is illegal to sell a counterfeit watch. The poor guy just wants to gets paid for his repair work. I asked how much had "had in it". He said $150. I don't believe he really has that much in it even if he were paid full fare for his repair service. Maybe he does. Also, maybe that is why the customer never came back to claim the watch.

It is not a watch that I would have on my TO-BUY list but if he still has it by, say, October 1st. I might offer about half what he has on it now. It is a President day-date, and I have a President day-date on order. It might be useful as a backup for parts ... not that I wouldn't wear it from time to time.

Since he has no idea from what dealer the watch came from ... and in the context of our conversation, I just didn't feel right asking if I could take a picture.

In our conversation the watch shop owner said he had repaierd a couple of other replicas. He commented about the good quality oif the movement in one of the replicas he repaired. So .... now I know I have a watchmaker available who will repair my replicas, even if my regular repair shop should decline. It was a useful visit.