When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Newcomer's choices

BobM

In another post I described my own reaction to having made my selection of a number of watches and a plan to purchase them at the rate of one a month. Some of those who responded to that post invited me to post the list of those choices, which I do here. Indeed, in here I let it ALL HANG OUT!

Ordered 10Aug07 (S)Platinum President From TrustyTime88.com (Andrew)

Gayles Gold datejust From PerfectClones88.com (Josh)

(G)Yacht Master II YinMax.com

(PG)Speedmaster Broad Arrow, Red gold/blue/leather !

(S)IWC Pilots watch midsize. steel/black/leather

(S)Seamaster Aqua Terra Railmaster, steel/black/steel (PG)IWC Portofino mid size, Rose gold/silver/leather (S)Breitling Navitimer, steel/blue/steel+blue leather (S)Seamaster Aqua Terra mid size Chronometer, steel/silver/steel (S)Seamaster Aqua Terra Railmaster, steel/black/steel (S)Seamaster Aqua Terra XXL Chronometer, steel/black/leather

Dealers to try, in order:

TrustyTime88.com (Andrew) China PerfectClones88.com (Josh) China YinMax.com China TTK In Thailand

Narikaa WatchSilix.com (Jay)

Good Lord! It does work to copy and paste an excel spreadsheet!

Now, the first three watches on this list I had in mind when I came to the forum. Gayle is my wife. The watches after the first three I selected after I had processed the information on this site and felt like I was 'ready' to begin buying.

I selected the watches by visiting the gen sites and processing all the options there. I made it a point to consider all the "hot topic' watches mentioned on the forum. Sometimes that lead to a selection for me and most times it didn't. I selected what I liked ... and my criteria is the LOOK. For me it is all about the LOOK ... Do I like this look? And ... I selected choices to fill categories of use: dress, business wear, daily wear, upscale casual, and sport. I tried to get at least one, but preferrably two in each category.

Okay. Take your shots! I want to hear it. Thanks for playing the game.

Here's what I think is wrong with your logic. Keep in mind, this is only my opinion. I'm sure others here would disagree.

But you've sought out gen watches that appeal to you. You haven't looked at which reps are done well- and this can go above and beyond 'accuracy', so even if accuracy isn't that high an important criteria for you, that doesn't necessarily discount what I'm saying.

What I would do, if in your position, is learn which reps are well-done...and then limit your selections to that list. That has been the method that has produced the most satisfactory results for myself....

A few thoughts from someone who no longer collects reps.

Firstly, I beleive your focus will change once you start to collect. Type , style, size et al.

So don't get too far ahead of yourself.

Secondly, as you have looked around, you will see a number of posts of people "clearing out the watch box" (indeed I have a bunch up at this time--shameless self promo :p )

Ask yourself why?

Also ask yourself why you wouldn't buy some of these used watches, many at up to 1/2 price of new.

Most of these also have had some level of TLC, or at best had any QC issues sorted by the owner.

You have listed a number of dealers you will work thru.

One solid recommendation is to choose your dealer, then your watch.

It certainly held pretty true for me when I was buying, I had 2-3 I was happy with, and some ...not so.

Finally, give consideration to the fact, that in the longer term, you like a lot that have come before you, will come to the realisation that a good lower grade/lesser known gen, is probably as good if not better value than a lot of the reps that are around. I think I can confidentally say that most of our longer term collectors have more than a few gens in their boxes.

As a footnote, I made a concious decision about 18 months ago to stop collecting reps. I now have more than 200 gens, and most are good, if not great brand name watches.

Why, you ask, are you still here, ( and moderating?) S'pose it's just the camaraderie, there are a great group of people here; and the level of knowledge and info to be gained. I think I can say without fear of contradiction, that you will not find the levels of expertise, in so many different areas, on any other forum.

Offshore

A few thoughts from someone who no longer collects reps.

Firstly, I beleive your focus will change once you start to collect. Type , style, size et al.

So don't get too far ahead of yourself.

Secondly, as you have looked around, you will see a number of posts of people "clearing out the watch box" (indeed I have a bunch up at this time--shameless self promo :p )

Ask yourself why?

Also ask yourself why you wouldn't buy some of these used watches, many at up to 1/2 price of new.

Most of these also have had some level of TLC, or at best had any QC issues sorted by the owner.

You have listed a number of dealers you will work thru.

One solid recommendation is to choose your dealer, then your watch.

It certainly held pretty true for me when I was buying, I had 2-3 I was happy with, and some ...not so.

Finally, give consideration to the fact, that in the longer term, you like a lot that have come before you, will come to the realisation that a good lower grade/lesser known gen, is probably as good if not better value than a lot of the reps that are around. I think I can confidentally say that most of our longer term collectors have more than a few gens in their boxes.

As a footnote, I made a concious decision about 18 months ago to stop collecting reps. I now have more than 200 gens, and most are good, if not great brand name watches.

Why, you ask, are you still here, ( and moderating?) S'pose it's just the camaraderie, there are a great group of people here; and the level of knowledge and info to be gained. I think I can say without fear of contradiction, that you will not find the levels of expertise, in so many different areas, on any other forum.

Offshore

your just a wannabeee!!!!!!!!!!

- Bob - you will save alot of time if you drop all concepts of what you think you like in a watch and pick up some of the 'super reps" but, you have to go through the process like we all did. I have completely changed my tastes and collection 5 times over. The more you collect the more you will realize what you enjoy.

so - as offshore said, start off buying used as much as possible, it will save you a bunch of $$. its taken me 2 years to be so satisfied with my collection that i'm not even looking at new watches at the moment.

And, it has more custom projects and asian watches than straight up reps

learn which reps are well-done...and then limit your selections to that list.

Absolutely

Long time collectors have, most of the time, a quality over quantity approach...

Cheap rep is not something you're going to wear, and it'll end up in your watchbox.

Extend to the max your wishlist and then narrow it to quality reps only.

YM II - I would definitely refrain from this idea, sir.

Gosh! If you really digg the gen, at least, wait for a decent quality rep...

Plus, I agree, choose your dealer, then the watch, this is no wallmart/amazon shopping mall, you're buying conterfeit goods.

If you were to buy some dope, would you have numerous dealers or would you have only one or two trusted one?

(don't get me wrong, my comparision ends here ^_^ )

So your watch list (and some dealer due diligence on the boards, of course) should lead you to your dealer(s). Considering your extensive watch list, you'll probably end up with a broad-catalog dealer, not a high-end rep collector like Paso or TTK, witch should be fine for a start.

Most of all, have fun! ;)

My longer term plan (beyond the first year) is to slow down and very selectively buy a few older, elegant gens. Where have you found the gens you now pursue? Pawn shops? Ebay? Where?

TRhank you for your good advise.

I started off looking for rep Rlx's to impress a girl (!) and now I don't think I would ever consider that brand... rep or even genuine. There is so much better out there. So it may be a good idea (as others have said) to try used ones first, unless you have lots of cash and it doesn't matter if you waste it ... in which case, can I have some ? ;)

My longer term plan (beyond the first year) is to slow down and very selectively buy a few older, elegant gens. Where have you found the gens you now pursue? Pawn shops? Ebay? Where?

TRhank you for your good advise.

BobM,

I have probably got about 40% from eBay, ( Using the wonderful info I glean from here, to not get burned)

The balance, have come from strategically placed (and worded) Classified WTB adverts! Local Newspaper.

It is quite amazing, the watches that people dig out from drawers, or have around the house.

I carry with me, as my bible, Cooksey & Shugart- " Complete price guide to watches" AS A GUIDE!!!!!

But it also sure helps in negotation :p

You do have to work hard, follow up all enquireis, even though you know you will draw a lot of blanks.

Some here are aware, I also run a little repair biz at a Sunday Market stall. You wouldn't beleive what people walk up with to show me. In a lot of cases it is just "show & tell" but from time to time, I am offered pieces at a good price, and amazingly, at least once every week, someone just hands me a packet of not going watches.... and I have had a few gems from this area!

Just today, a guy handed me a lovely Tissot Seamaster (Quartz), told me he had it at the local jewellers, and they quoted $190 for the repair. His attitude was, " If it can be repaired for under $20, fix it, if not .... keep it."

It was just a flat battery, and dirty contacts.... charged him $10, and sent him on his way. He came back about an hour later with 7 watches in a bag, and gave them to me, as thanks for being honest. They are all no going mechs; don't think there is much in the bag, was too busy to look hard, and am now just about to unload the car .... so maybe a surprise?? or just some more spare parts :rolleyes:

I have gone the pawn shop route, find they are far to sharp ( mostly not for their own good- as I see many reps- which they have paid too much for- when it is a "name" watch) Not to many pickings there IMHO.

There are a number of ways to strategically search, and qualify the ebay offerings.... I won't detail them here, but PM me if you want more info.

Offshore