When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Going to Paris & London for a couple of weeks.

gioarmani

One way of doing it - and perhaps the best, depending on one's personality - is to simply choose a place that appeals to you at a given moment...usually when walking around a particular neighborhood.

A tremendous suggestion. I would especially like to add that's true of the Pigalle district, and Les Halles, which are unfortunately both rather dangerous for single women. I believe that is not your case, Gio, so go for it!

By the way, if you really want an unbelievable eating experience, there used to be a petit restaurant in the Pigalle area which offered you a starter, main course, dessert, and small demi-bottle of wine for FIVE EURO. I believe it was called St. Georges something...I would know how to get there, if I started walking, but I don't know how to explain it to you. I only mention this because despite having expensive tastes, I love working mens' eateries, and areas, where you meet the most authentic (read, charming/hostile) people in Paris. If you really want something off the beaten path, go to these "bistros".

And yes, Ninotchka really made an impression on me as a child. :D

Otherwise, just reserve at a string of 'the best' places (La Tour d'Argent)

Not overrated, but IMHO, not worth it except for their pressed duck. By the way, you get to choose your silver press, and when you return, they present you the same silver press having stored the information on the logs for years.

It's those little things that make Paris so wonderful, so full of

Right now I've only got reservations at La Fermette Marbeuf, and Senderens.

If you're into clubbing, in London I highly recommend Boujis any night, but especially Tuesdays, Amika on Thursdays & Saturdays (Sat. VIP room only), Movida, Studio Valbonne (Fridays too).

Paris, unfortunately, didn't impress me with the club life, which is almost incredible to say and counterintutive.

But whenever I go to a club, even the well-heeled ones ;), there is always a mirror where a bunch of aristos are busy dancing with themselves, and looking bored next to their Krugs. Bizarre. The young vibe in London is so much better.

In Moscow its easy to find a spot where you can have a beer for a buck. Not in Paris, at least not for me. We literally searched for HOURS and I still ended up paying over 4Euros for 0.2l coke at the shittiest restaurant (not my choice, I said frick it, lets go to the best restaurant in town, but my friends didnt feel that way).

Ah, I get it.

You're a barman so you judge a city by the bar prices. If you do that, then yes, Paris is hideously expensive. However, having moved from London to Paris and taking a pay cut in the process, I had more disposable income in Paris than in London. Start with travel, then go to the cost of regular stuff like DVDs, games, CDs, supermarket shopping ... and as long as you don't compare bar prices, Paris is outright cheaper on everything.

So, if you're a tourist looking for a drink, sure, Paris is pricey, but if you're doing anything else, London is more expensive. Now you know why Parisians drink at each others' houses.

Great restaurants in paris. Depends completely on what you want. If you're looking for food.. then paris is a GREATTT place with lots of diverse restaurants and cultures. I lived in paris for 2 years and one of my favorite places was a small couscous place near montparnasse.. between Metro Raspail and Vavin. A great little obscure place that's a secret underground HIT among lots of parisians (even a few famous ones too). The entire restaurant is about 10 tables big and Lilianne has been the server/owner for over 30 years or something. I'll be back with the name of the restaurant as soon as I call my friend who knows the restaurant well. Apart from that.. if you're looking for a great FRENCH restaurant with good prices and great food. "Le Petit Chatelet". Right next to Fontaine St. Michel in the 5ieme along the seine. I believe it's near Rue de la Bucherie. It's got a terrace, and wonderful atmosphere... although it can be a bit more touristy from time to time.

Hmmm....that's exactly my neighborhood (between Metro Vavin & Raspail) - but I don't see any little couscous restaurant. I'd be interested if you could post the name!

For generally excellent places, there's also the huge and venerable La Coupole on boulevard de Montparnasse, and the cozy Wadja very decent traditional French bistro cuisine on rue de la Grande Chaumiere, just off the Boulevard.

Both Le Dome (very expensive) and La Rotonde (quite reasonable considering the quality), facing each other at the intersection of Blvds. Raspail and Montparnasse are excellent choices.

Also a clear cut above: The elegant La Closerie de Lilas, and the pleasure of the semi-private outdoor terrace in the evening, if the weather permits...

Hey, I'm starting to get hungry!

Hmmm....that's exactly my neighborhood (between Metro Vavin & Raspail) - but I don't see any little couscous place. I'd be interested if you could post the name!

For generally ok places, there's also the huge La Coupole on boulevard de Montparnasse, and the cozy Wadja very decent traditional French bistro cuisine on a little side street just off the boulevard (have temporarily forgotten the name)...

will let you know the address soon.. cool name by the way. I'm Ryan

Hmmm....that's exactly my neighborhood (between Metro Vavin & Raspail) - but I don't see any little couscous place. I'd be interested if you could post the name!

For generallyexcellent places, there's also the huge La Coupole on boulevard de Montparnasse, and the cozy Wadja very decent traditional French bistro cuisine on rue de la Grande Chaumiere, just off the Boulevard.

Both Le Dome[/i (very expensive)] and La Rotonde (quite reasonable considering the quality), facing each other at the intersection of Blvds. Raspail and Montparnasse are excellent choices.

Also a clear cut above: La Closerie de Lilas, and the pleasure of the semi-private outdoor terrace in the evening, if the weather permits...

p.s. la coupole.. la rotonde... etc.. what great places to be intellectual and act like existentialist philosophers or american expatriots! haha.

p.s. la coupole.. la rotonde... etc.. what great places to be intellectual and act like existentialist philosophers or american expatriots! haha.

That's exactly it, Ryan!

Countless years spent in my black turtleneck and beret, a Gauloise hanging from my downturned lips as I nursed a muddy espresso on the terrace of my local existentialist caf

Ah, I get it.

You're a barman so you judge a city by the bar prices. If you do that, then yes, Paris is hideously expensive. However, having moved from London to Paris and taking a pay cut in the process, I had more disposable income in Paris than in London. Start with travel, then go to the cost of regular stuff like DVDs, games, CDs, supermarket shopping ... and as long as you don't compare bar prices, Paris is outright cheaper on everything.

So, if you're a tourist looking for a drink, sure, Paris is pricey, but if you're doing anything else, London is more expensive. Now you know why Parisians drink at each others' houses.

I go out twice almost every weekend and sometimes even during the week. On average I spend 50-60euros each night (only for drinks). In Paris I would probably spend 200Euros for the same amount of drinks. That would limit either my watch purchases OR the amount of days I can go out. Hence I wont go out in Paris at ALL :lol:

But its a lovely city for tourist stuff, the girlfriend, shopping etc. Just not a recommendation for nightlife/barlife.

Got to agree with slay there, when i go out i never go to a public bar, but i do have a large selection of private bars and clubs to attend, one of the bonuses of bike clubs in Germany as opposed to most other place i have been too. This way my drinking stays cheep and also with in a realm where i feel comfortable. You cant beat a club house for that!

Got to agree with slay there, when i go out i never go to a public bar, but i do have a large selection of private bars and clubs to attend, one of the bonuses of bike clubs in Germany as opposed to most other place i have been too. This way my drinking stays cheep and also with in a realm where i feel comfortable. You cant beat a club house for that!

Are you Bandidos MC or Hells Angels? Just curious!

Staying near the Eiffel, then in Montmartre, for the end of August in about a week. Then in Hyde Park, London for a few days, then off to Bath & the west country for another week.

Any suggestions as to some "unique" places to visit or eat? Not the usual touristy crap; definitely something interesting.

Also, any shopping to spots to pick up a good quality rep?

Thanks.

Copied and pasted from my post on RC:

In London, you have lots of expensive places in Knightsbridge, near to where you'll be staying. There's also Harrods you can go see, and the Burburry shop opposite if you like them.

Oxford Street is the major shopping street which stretches for miles and New Bond Street has watch boutiques like the Omega shop, Watches of Switzerland, Cartier etc

I have no idea where to get reps from, they'll be pretty poor though. Maybe you can order from some UK/EU based dealers while you're here. PreciousTime once delivered next day to ordering.... on Xmas day!

For food, you have the best kebab shop in London in South Kensington called "Bosphorus" but they close around 10.30-11pm. I used to go there all the time while at university. If you want to go to Hampstead, there is a place called "Gaucho Grill" right by the tube station that serves succulent beef from Argentina. Covent Garden has lots of restaurants too... there is one place called Woolfe's that has beef from Japan. Chinatown is by Leicester Square tube station, and Islington has quite a few places to eat as well. Pascha is a Turkish restaurant which is pretty good. There is a Brasilian restaurant there where the waiters go around with skewers of meat and cut it onto your plate... but it's busy in the weekends and probably not the best time to go as they come around infrequently. If you haven't tried Indian food, and like spicy food, you have to try it here. There are good ones all over. Easy ones to try, and reasonably priced, are Khan's in Bayswater - a popular one for students. There is one near Warren Street tube station but it is down the back streets so maybe not a good idea. Doesn't even look like a restaurant as it just has simple tables and no decoractions but the food is great value and filling. Hope that helps a little.

Edit: good Lebanese restaurants in Edgeware Road which is not far from where you'll be. If you go to Hammersmith after a late night clubbing or whatever, there is a Lebanese restaurant there that stays open very late and is pretty decent.

Oh yeah don't forget to drop the girl round my place so I can keep her busy ;)

Which days will you be here?

Edited by Chronus

In Paris, I would recommend going to one of the Grec shops. It's not at all what you think of when you have Paris cuisine, but it's top stuff. :D

305043-592.jpg

It's very much the antithesis of Parisian Cuisine, but I love them so ... Ask for one with mayonnaise and Harissa (stupidly hot chilli paste/sauce) if your pallet stretches to the spicy. Just order a Grec-frites (kebab and fries) and enjoy!

Also, you could go to a Lebanese restaurant or head down to the Marais for some decent Jewish falafel.

Basically Greek kebabs eh?

Come up to North London where I live and you can have the original Turkish (or Kurdish) kebab.

I'd like to try that Harissa.. I can easily empty a bottle of tabasco sauce on my food without finding it very spicy ;)

Oh and falafel is originally a Palestinian Arab dish which the Israeli Jews took to, but for some reason it is labelled a Jewish dish now.

@ Fast--nothing too high end; we'll only be doing two or three elegant dinners (only so many suits I care to wear on vacation) and I don't care to drop more than $300 per meal (for the both of us).

$300 on dinner? Damn I am poor!

@ Ry--Yes, French nite-clubs are even worse than the British ones ,save for a few. The last club we were in a few years ago in Paris looked like some dated set from Polanski's "Frantic".

Depends if you know where to go... get on the guest lists beforehand and you may go somewhere nice. ;)

Yes, but with better meat and bread, amazing chilli sauce and chips piled on. :rolleyes:

The only place I like chilli sauce is at Bosphorus here in London... every other place I've been to I don't like their chilli sauce and have garlic sauce instead... francais, non? ;)

Maybe if I ever visit my cousins in Paris, I will go and try it... but forego the chips. I've piled on too much weight since my injury in December, and now I am ok to start playing again, I have had a virus for the past 3 weeks :cry: frustration!

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmm....that's exactly my neighborhood (between Metro Vavin & Raspail) - but I don't see any little couscous restaurant. I'd be interested if you could post the name!

For generally excellent places, there's also the huge and venerable La Coupole on boulevard de Montparnasse, and the cozy Wadja very decent traditional French bistro cuisine on rue de la Grande Chaumiere, just off the Boulevard.

Both Le Dome (very expensive) and La Rotonde (quite reasonable considering the quality), facing each other at the intersection of Blvds. Raspail and Montparnasse are excellent choices.

Also a clear cut above: The elegant La Closerie de Lilas, and the pleasure of the semi-private outdoor terrace in the evening, if the weather permits...

Hey Ryyannon, the name of the REstaurant is La Table de Fes, en Rue Saint Beuve. between Vavin and Notre Dame Metro. The name of the woman that owns it is Lillianne I believe... Check it out.. it's the best couscous in town. You should tell her that you're a friend of a friend of Fahda. She appreciates friend reccomendations more than walkins