When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Guess the Gen!

Desuetude

Not sure if this game has already been played, but in the event it hasn't, or in the event it hasn't been done in a while, I figured it would be fun to play this one. The title is pretty self-explanatory...take a pic of the back of one of your Gens, post said pic, and everyone should make a guess as to what said watch is! Everyone should feel welcome to throw in their own pics of Gens for guessing, so please put yours up too! I will only throw up one gen for guessing at a time, IE-when the posted Gen has been guessed, I'll post up another one in my collection. I'll also offer hints if needed. Now...let the guessing begin!

Here's my 1st contribution, my VC "????????????????":

after4.jpg

after6.jpg

Good luck, everyone, and post up your gens for guessing too!

Edited by Defacto

Awesome guesses, vbarrett and FasTTaP, this is my VC Patrimony Power Reserve! Without further ado, here she is!

after5.jpg

after3.jpg

I've got it on right now, actually. This is one that I really never see leaving the collection, since I never really see it leaving style's good graces! I'll have another one of mine up in a little while. The next one is probably going to be slightly easier to guess, but it's a fun one!

Edited by Defacto

Alright everyone...time to get your guess on again! This one probably won't be terribly difficult for people to guess, but it's another one of my favs. I took a really quick shot of it without the help of my amateur photographer buddy, so please excuse the quality! Anyway, without further ado, here's the pic!

IMG_2651.sized.jpg

Good luck!

Edited by Defacto

Alright everyone...time to get your guess on again! This one probably won't be terribly difficult for people to guess, but it's another one of my favs. I took a really quick shot of it without the help of my amateur photographer buddy, so please excuse the quality! Anyway, without further ado, here's the pic!

IMG_2651.sized.jpg

Good luck!

Looks to be one of Jochen Benzinger's hand engraved skeletons with a 6498?

Looks to be one of Jochen Benzinger's hand engraved skeletons with a 6498?

Yes, no, and yes; good start though! It is a branded piece, production piece (well, as production as Benzinger can get), so I'm not putting up a one-off for people to take stabs at. The 6498 has been modified in more ways than meets the eye (this should be a decent clue here). Hopefully this should help everyone seal this one off!

Corgi, that's nice, gonna have to ponder that one...

is it a chronoswiss?

Sorry, it is not; Bazz already correctly identified the maker of the watch and it's base movement, I was simply seeing if anyone out there wanted to take a gander as to exactly what model it is. See the hints I gave above for some extra help :D

Edited by Defacto

Guest chronomat123

Man, my guess was Chronoswiss. The two prettiest watches I've ever owned were a Chronoswiss Lunar Chronograph with silver guilloche dial and a Dubey & Schaldenbrand Aerodyn Big Date with silver guilloche dial and s/s bracelet. But I think your VC beats both!

BTW, defacto, check your voicemails... your 1665 will go out tomorrow... long story... thanks, mate...

We have ourselves a winner! Here are some more scans; this is definitely one of my most frequently worn pieces. Here are shots from the day I first opened the package from the AD...

b3.jpg

b7.jpg

b10.jpg

b9.jpg

b12.jpg

b11.jpg

b15.jpg

This one was for...size comparison. Yeah, we'll go with that explanation :lol:

ClassyTime2007.jpg

I'll put up another one tomorrow...Corgi's is really testing my knowledge! People, get to posting your Gen backs too, so we can guess the gen!

Edited by Defacto

That's actually my first guess as well, however, given that I've seen a few VC, IWC and AP movements that bare a similar resemblance, I kept my mouth shut. Corgi, is there any credence to Pugwash's assertion?

Sorry, I should have mentioned my assertion wasn't a guess. Have I mentioned I'm cursed with a memory that remembers more than it should?

Sorry, I should have mentioned my assertion wasn't a guess. Have I mentioned I'm cursed with a memory that remembers more than it should?

This forum needs a :bowdown: smiley. Awesome stuff! Pug, until that time, I present you with this: :1a:. Do you know anything more about the age of the watch in question? I assume it can't be much older than 1920s...that's all I can take a gander at with this one! I really need to get my vintage knowledge up... :D

PS...Pug, if you ever get tired of that overly efficient memory...I'll be glad to take it off your hands :lol:

Edited by Defacto

Alright, as promised, here we are, my 3rd piece in this little series...have at it! If you guys keep coming up with great answers at this rate, I'm going to start having to yank the solid casebacks off of some of my other gens! :p

rg5.jpg

Edited by Defacto

Alright, as promised, here we are, my 3rd piece in this little series...have at it! If you guys keep coming up with great answers at this rate, I'm going to start having to yank the solid casebacks off of some of my other gens! :p

Um ... it's a JLC reverso in gold? ;)