When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Champions League/Premier League 2007/2008

Everythingape

Well then!

A new season, new possibilities (for grief).

I propose we use this thread for our ranting, crowing and whining about our teams and others for this season of CL.

In case anybody wants to start a prize pool this year, we'll move it all to that thread and I'll be happy to support it and my beloved Arsenal.

The draw:

Group A- Liverpool, Porto, Marseille, and Besiktas

Group B- Chelsea, Valencia, Schalke, and Rosenborg

Group C- Madrid, Werder Bremen, Lazio, and Olympiakos

Group D- Milan, Benfica, Celtic, and Shaktar Donetsk

Group E- Barca, Lyon, Stuttgart, and Rangers

Group F- Manchester Utd, Roma, Sporting, and Dynamo Kiev

Group G- Inter, PSV, CSKA, and Fenerbache

Group H- Arsenal, Sevilla, Steua Bucharest, and Slavia Prague

First off I am pretty happy with Arsenal's draw this year.. Sevilla could be the worst team..

But those eastern european teams.. you just never know what they can do.

Liverpool's group is interesting.. Knowing Besikta's fans are as passionate about their game as the Anfield bunch, I'm sure those games will be intense on and off the pitch.

..browsing the groups I'm confident we'll see all english teams go through, but the scots are facing the greatest challenges for 2nd place. (I don't follow Celtic and Rangers normally, so I really don't know how competitive they are.)

Any thoughts on the new season?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i go for my team FENERBAHCE :)

just for those who dont know yet roberto carlos is playing there :),

but to be honest passing the first two rounds would be a great success for the team.

also i think the german teams got no chance, bayern would but they didnt even qualify lol.

in my opinion there will be english teams in the finals again, (hopefully arsenal :D)

but you never know

Edited by serefsizzz

• 3 weeks later...
Guest carlsbadrolex

My boss was born and raised in Liverpool.We have a collection of Liverpool jerseys (signed), footballs (also signed), banners, pennants, scarfs and photos ALL OVER our offices. When he was 18 years old, he spent two seasons as a "work out partner" for the team. Basically an unpaid guy to beat the hell out of at practice. But from what Ive read and seen in pictures, he was damn good. He played football for many years until he destroyed his right knee. He then became an international recording artist (techno) and traveled the world playing techno.

Because of all this, I have been brought on board as a Liverpool Football Club hooligan!

You'll Never Walk Alone:

When you walk through a storm

Hold your head up high

And don't be afraid of the dark

At the end of the storm

Is a golden sky

And the sweet silver song of a lark

Walk on through the wind

Walk on through the rain

Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on, walk on

With hope in your heart

And you'll never walk alone

You'll never walk alone

I heard that as well. Apparently it's somewhere between slim and zero... :lol:

Brave words in the absence of JTB - no doubt he'll dig that slur out on his return and give you some grief :D

Although I must admit I fear last year's exertions may have got the better of the Bhoys, witness the spanking they got in the Ukraine last week :black_eye:

My boss was born and raised in Liverpool.We have a collection of Liverpool jerseys (signed), footballs (also signed), banners, pennants, scarfs and photos ALL OVER our offices. When he was 18 years old, he spent two seasons as a "work out partner" for the team. Basically an unpaid guy to beat the hell out of at practice. But from what Ive read and seen in pictures, he was damn good. He played football for many years until he destroyed his right knee. He then became an international recording artist (techno) and traveled the world playing techno.

Because of all this, I have been brought on board as a Liverpool Football Club hooligan!

You'll Never Walk Alone:

When you walk through a storm

Hold your head up high

And don't be afraid of the dark

At the end of the storm

Is a golden sky

And the sweet silver song of a lark

Walk on through the wind

Walk on through the rain

Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on, walk on

With hope in your heart

And you'll never walk alone

You'll never walk alone

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

(I'll forgive the inappropriate use of the word 'hooligan' due to cultural misunderstanding, but your heart's in the right place :tu: )

Ok my unbiased (as possible :) ) roundup on the major players....

Ape - I'm sure your beloved Arsenal will do better than last year (I mean, PSV, for god's sake :blink: ), and you've already come through the first test with a good result against a shell-shocked Sevilla (Puerta's death has clearly had a massive effect on the club). However, a lot will depend on what state your 3 key African players return in from the Cup of Nations before the KO phases begin, although regardless I don't think there's enough experience to go past the QF but I could be wrong.

Liverpool. A couple of early season lacklustre performances (no losses mind) doesn't change the fact that for the last two months, we've been intimidating other teams, sharp ruthless and incisive. The new American owners have brought investment (amazing new stadium and squad funding) of which Torres and Voronin look like being a strike partnership that will do the business. Babel will prove to be the best buy of all given time, a future superstar. Also we now officially have "the best midfield in the world™" (and that's NOT even including our new Brazilian wonderkid, Lucas) and although I think the law of averages is against it, I can honestly see us making a 3rd final in 4 years. Hopefully, a 6th triumph to make up for the one that got away in Athens :1a::pray:

AC Milan. Outplayed and neutered in last season's Athens' Final by Liverpool, they still managed to scrape a seventh win in 'revenge' for the Miracle of Istanbul two years previously. No complaints, they took their chances, we didn't. Luck smiled on them, despite their club's involvement and conviction for bribing referees. I guess it helps having Berlusconi the dodgy ex-PM of Italy as your chairman :whistling:. Anyway, the backbone of their team is again as old as Methusulah, but that brings experience, winning experience at that, so you can NEVER rule them out. But everything relies on Kaka, the best player in the world at this time. Let him run free as Man Utd did, and he will humiliate you. Nullify him, as Mascherano did in Athens, and Milan are there to be beaten. Not every team has a Mascherano though, so another SF at least looms for the Milanese.

Scumchester United. Once again will flatter to deceive, their problem being they think they're better than they actually are :rolleyes:. One good result against an incredibly poor Roma and they were talking like they'd already won it last year. That is, until an ageing Milan came along and absolutely ripped them to shreds. This year they have Tevez to line up alongside Rooney, who together with Neville and Ferdinand, gives them officially "the ugliest players in the world™" but scare tactics won't work alone. They've also lost one of their most influential defenders in Heinze, a player so desperate to leave Old Trafford and come to Liverpool, he took legal proceeedings to secure his escape. Of course, the Scum did the honourable thing and threatened to ruin his career and so he left for Real Madrid instead. If only they would be bold and pension off their manager, then they would present a real threat, but for now the sour old drunk is like a bad gambler doubling his stakes after losing time after time, in the vain hope that "no I'll do it THIS time I just know it". No you won't Alex. Failure again looms. Possibly even before the QFs. No great loss given the way their so-called fans 'greeted' Roma fans in last year's QF <_<

Internazionale. Many people's dark horse have already taken a group stage beating, although no doubt they'll recover before yet again failing when it matters most in the QFs. I wonder if Moratti will bring in Mourinho in January, after the latter was sacked...sorry "left by mutual consent"....by Chelsea last week. Who knows. But then Jose has a bit of a problem getting past SF's these last few years ;)

Real Madrid. Gracefully accepted Barca's handing them La Liga on a silver plate in June, and with some overrated deadwood (Beckham) out of the club the future looks better than ever before. They've spent like a greedy drunken sailor buying anyone they could get their hands on, the good buys were snatching Sneijder, Drenthe and Heinze from Liverpool's grasp, although Chelsea's Robben will prove a waste of money, such is his injury record and tendency to dive theatrically. But having sacked Capello and again failed (three times of asking now) to get the manager they REALLY want (Liverpool's Benitez) they now have a unproven German coach in charge. Early season results look good, but then last year showed how poor a barometer that can be. And that spending? Chelse-esque and we saw how Shevchenko and Ballack worked out for them :lol: Verdict? SF if they're lucky.

Barcelona. The addition of Henry to an already talented squad was a big boost, as is the emergence (finally) of their Mexican wonderkid Dos Santos (one to watch ;) ). However, the latter's opportunity has only come due to the loss of Eto'o with another long-term injury. They will be fired up this year, after being knocked out by Liverpool in last year's first KO round, which included a beating in the home leg at the Nou Camp. Still some question marks remain over the coach Rijkaard and his ability to tactically outmaneouvre quality opposition (they've been beaten by Liverpool and Chelsea in the CL in the last two years) as well as control the dressing room. The queue of players who have 'fallen out' with the Dutchman is a long and starry one. My thoughts? Finalists.

Valencia. Darker than usual dark horses, I felt last year was their year, yet they choked against a below-par Chelsea. They've held onto the imperious David Villa (Liverpool's new striker after this season :D) and with Silva and the highly experienced (and ex-Red) Morientes on board, they'll do well. According to Villa, "history owes us a triumph" aftert their back-to-back Final losses a few years ago - well I'm not sure it quite works like that David :lol: but I still would back them to reach the QF this season.

Sevilla. Normally a real favourite this year. Having won back-to-back UEFA Cups (poor mans' CL) playing some great football, they look a very dangerous team. Unfortunately, that momentum seems to have been lost recently, due to the tragic death last month of one of their most popular players, Antonio Puerta (RIP). Folliowing that event, a meaningless loss against Milan in the Super Cup and a beating by Arsenal in the first CL game, show they have yet to recover psychologically from this tragedy. I hope they do and show what they're capable of. Verdict? Either fail to progress beyond group stages or QF if they get their act together in time.

So, did I leave anyone out? :unsure::whistling:

bt I think they will have a really good chance of getting the title this year.

Its an incredible team they have now...with so many diffrent options depending on the oppnent

You have the same 'good chance' every year but same same old Inter. Don't get me wrong, I like Inter (moreso than your city rivals), but they just have this aura of being an unlucky club. And options or as my team's boss call them "possibilities, for sure", mean nothing if you can't produce consistent performances against top sides. As for the CL, if I were an Inter fan I'd be more concerned about winning a proper Serie A title this year, one that isn't devalued by your rivals penalties or exclusion ;)

and then of course Zlatan "Ibrakadabra" Ibrahimovic
Nicknamed no doubt for his reliable habit of 'disappearing' in matches when he's needed most :whistling:

With Jose gone....Chelsea might not be the same...Always love the Rosso-Nero in Milan.....Kaka is something else but good defense will almost always shut him down. I do like Barca if Henry can play nice with the others...

A lot of it will come down to who is spending their energies on their home leagues...

Nice jab on ManUre for the ugliest players....if that ain't a kick IN the crotch....daaaaayaaaam they are fugly but they got mad skills....

I need to go [censored] to the satty provider as my CL coverage her is effin spotty....greedy mofo...

rant off...back on thread...blah...blah...too much red wine tonight...

Nice jab on ManUre for the ugliest players....if that ain't a kick IN the crotch....daaaaayaaaam they are fugly but they got mad skills....

Ah, while Rio and Roooooney are quite the ugly fugs, they return to godlike golden heroes once they put an England shirt on. As long as they don't stand too close to Beckham (whom I'm reliably informed is quite handsome), no-one can notice just how ugly and potato-like they are as the three lions appear to bestow some counter-fugly to their troll-like features.