When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Political Compass - A Test

Everythingape

I placed about where Mahatma Ghandi and Nelson Mandela would be.. :D

Economic Left/Right: -2.38

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49

= Libertarian Left

So did I, albeit a little more to the right - but still in the area of people like Mandela and the Dalai Lama:

- Oh no, not him, Nelson!

- Jeez Tenzin, there goes the fockin' neighborhood!...

Smug Bastids. Hmm....I wonder if they've upgraded their membership in RWG...? :lol:

Economic Left/Right: -4.75

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13

Even though we disagree (vehmently) on may issues, especially when political discussions come up, I suspect that RWG would tend to draw people with certain common shared values, especially regarding personal choice and values, and economic freedom.

At the same time, I wonder if this is saying that none of us, especially at the negative/negative end of the scale, are suited to be political leaders, particularly of a country. So much for the notion that [censored] Cheney or Hugo Chavez might be lurking in our midsts.

mY political compass

Economic Left/Right: -4.88

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.10

SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG WITH US GUYS.....WE MAKE gANDHI LOOK LIKE A DICTATOR :lol:

Nothing ruins friendships quicker and embitters potential friendships more in the modern Western world than politics. NOTHING. Not religion. Not money. Not sport.

Moreover, this test is asinine. Either you come out near the Dalai Lama. Or Pinochet -- proving yet again what my history profs always told me, "consider the source".

I think betrayal ruins friendships quicker than politics.

And for some people, having the exact opposite beliefs than you do, that form your very view of the world, that are the foundation of all your practical beliefs about the way the world will go, ruins that friendship faster than you can say Strom Thurmond Wore Women's Underpants.

Politics are a corrosive. They corrode everything around one, ruining the atmosphere forever.

Economic Left/Right: 0.88

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.59

This makes me a moderately-right libertarian.

What I was aware of in advance.

So, an unuseful test in the end! :lol:

Thanks anyway, it was funny.

Interesting to see there is noone else in my quadrant.

Neither on RWG or among 'personalities' (btw, Romano Prodi a personality?!?).

As supposed in advance.

Politics are a corrosive. They corrode everything around one, ruining the atmosphere forever.

Politics exists whenever 2 or more people are in proximity, and always has. Each of us is faced with a choice: We can participate in whatever political process our time and place has chosen for us, doing our part to make it consistent with our beliefs, or we can be cavalier and cynical about it and just let Halliburtons of the world run governments. Because believe me, they haven't written politics off.

BTW, I didn';t need to take the test to know I was...

Economic Left/Right: -8.88

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.82

BTW, I didn';t need to take the test to know I was...

Quite. My point.

It's one of those innocent "getting to know ourselves" threads which actually has the opposite effect, because for some people there is nothing so off-putting as finding out exactly where you stand politically. It colours some people's whole perception of that person, their thought processes, values, what you can talk to them about, how you think they will react, what their opinions might be like, and in some disgusting cases, if you can trust them or not.

This is instead of finding out the usual way, by subtle interaction, close observation, a chance remark here and there spanning years. Of course, this takes time, and time is not a commodity on the click-and-pick internet.

Fortunately, I'm not even scrolling up except on the one or two people I am interested in, and even then, it was a foregone conclusion where they stood based on what I said above. That they may or may not be diametrically opposed to me is of no concern to me whatsoever, and I will still love their minds just like I did before.

But not all people are common sensical and some take politics as the ultimate zero-sum game of life. Yuck.

Hateful thing, politics.

Politics exists whenever 2 or more people are in proximity

Hateful thing, politics.

Agree on both those statements.

Personally, I quitted voting years ago

(after a public consultation about a medieval law on scientific research and artificial insemination got unattended).

Hateful thing, politics.

Personally, I quitted voting years ago

(after a public consultation about a medieval law on scientific research and artificial insemination got unattended).

For the most part I agree with Virginia -- which is why politics, or at least political power, should not be left soleley in the hands of the politicians.

The choice often involves what is ideal (but not winnable), what is unacceptable, and what is doable. To me this is the main reason why politics is discouraging. The process in and of itself requires us to accept "compromise" candidates who are less than the best leaders available, and solutions that may start out sound but then are stretched up and down and left and right until the original concept is barely recognizable.

But as hard as these compromises might be to accept, people at least need to use their votes to move the candidates and solutions a tiny fraction in the right direction -- or give up altogether the right to [censored] about the outcome.