When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My step father gave me a few old watches

section8

I'm sure none of these are worth a whole lot, but they interest me and they were free :) My step-father manages a condo building with older residents. Well sometimes they pass on and the family leaves behind boxes and boxes of stuff to go to the garbage. Well, knowing my interest in watches he snagged these for me.

Old%20Watches%20012.JPG

Two pocket watches - one labled "Bulls Eye" by Westclox and the other is labeled a Westclox "Pocket Ben" Both work when wound, but the Bull's Eye seems to run more reliably. It's about 5 minutes fast a day right now.

Old%20Watches%20014.JPG

Bull's Eye on the left, Pocket Ben on the right

The lady's watches are really stunning. The square watch has an 18k gold case labeled "Star Watch Case Co. USA" and what I think is Mother of pearl inlay on the dial. The indices appear to be gold as well. Movement is labled "Sorority Watch Co SWISS" with 15 jewels. Movement doesn't wind and doesn't run. Appears VERY dirty.

Old%20Watches%20016.JPG

Old%20Watches%20017.JPG

The round lady's watch has no crystal and a very dirty dial. hands have a pretty blue hue in the right light. MIB initials engraved on the case back. Inside the caseback is printed "S.W.C.CO. Gold filled 20 Years" 10 1/2 Ligne and a serial number. No karat gold listed, but the inside of the case is very shiny.

Movement is labeled "SADA Watch Co Swiss J 15 Jewels 2 ADJ" This movement does not wind and does not run.

Old%20Watches%20018.JPG

Old%20Watches%20019.JPG

Old%20Watches%20020.JPG

Old%20Watches%20022.JPG

Anyway, hope you all enjoy the pics. If The Zigmeister doesn't stroll by this thread, I'm going to email him the pics of the movements and inquire about having him service them, my wife is quite keen to wear the round ladies watch once it is cleaned up and running.

You have some beautiful old machinery there! It would be such fun to get them running and in good shape again.

I have a couple of oldies, too, one of them about 85-90 years old (a ladies pendant watch by Columbia). I am taking one of these oldies to my watchsmith this weekend.

Thanks for the nice pix, too. It was a pleasure to see them.

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I really like the pocket watches - once I get them serviced I may actually start carrying one around :o Corgi you make a good point about the square watch - the movement looks really interesting. I was focusing on the round watch because my wife expressed more of an interest in that one for wearing.