When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Legend, Fact, or Myth?

offshore

In another thread I commented on what I beleive to be a "myth"... that duct tape, will open all watches.

And received a basically contradictory answer from one of our close friends here who also has a great working knowledge of the "game"

So I am starting a thread, which we will break up into seperate parts as needs be, to allow discussion/ debate on a range of questions, I'm sure we all have.

No, or few rules to start.... we'll make them up as we go along. :D

So right now... Just one.. Be civil, and discuss/debate in a friendly manner. All posts of a flaming or inciteful nature, WILL be deleted. And stay On Topic!

So let's kick this off.

Does duct tape, sticky balls, always work for you?

Offshore

My response to another post was-

Seriously, I don't think we can perpetuate this ball of tape/ sticky ball/suction tool myth any longer.

Sure these methods work on watches... That were not well sealed in the 1st place.... probably by a sticky ball!

However, anyone who spends time opening multiple watches, will find that even hand tools, Jaxa style, Bergeon/Rolex tool etc, sometimes still will not crack the casing.

Then the big guns are needed... a screw down vice style case back opener, with the CORRECT dies......

and even then, some won't open.

Thats when we call our man Nanug... complete with 4WD, chainsaw, and sledgehammer.

But I am serious, I have sat and shaken my head at the multiple posts I have seen... swearing to the efficiency of sticky balls et al.

"A poor craftsman blames his tools"

Offshore

My friend repaustria, then responded-

Actuall,y using nice power duct tape on a cleaned caseback and on a cleaned place to put the tape (after folding it to double sided) and then turning the case while pressing it, opens every watch. It opened my genuine Chrono Avenger that was sealed to 300 meters - easily and without traces. IMO it's much better to use some damn strong duct tape than using an appropriate caseback openener. Most people have no idea how to use these tools and just damage the casebacks. Especially the Bergeon Rolex type opener needs some more tools for appropriate use.

So what does anyone else say?

Offshore

I have used both and have found that duct tape will work for casebacks that are easily screwed in, like Panerai and Breitling, and watches that have larger surface area. A cheap and effective alternative to a caseback opener, but not a permanent tool.

Sure it works, but I prefer to use proper tools. While sticky balls and duct tape may open anything, when I close them, I want to know I've done it properly.

Agreed.

I too have managed to open all my screw back watches with the tape method, including the supposedly 1000m waterproof SFSO, mostly because the case backs weren't properly tightened in the first place.

Does duct tape, sticky balls, always work for you?

I'll answer that only if you tell me whether or not you mind wearing a leather singlet and shorts....and don't mind NOT wearing them afterwards......!

In order of effectiveness:

Sticky balls, duct tape, washing up gloves

all work fine

Bergeon toolset without doubt is best for Rolexes

But like changing a wheel on your car in the pi##ing rain when the bolts have been tightenned by a neanderthal and you have to put a six foot lenth of scaffolding pipe over the wrench to free them. Doesnt mean that should be the tool for the job ordinarily

Come to think of it..........a couple of two foot steel conduits over the Bergeon handles and you could probably weld a Rollie shut...and absolutely negate anyones chances of opening it with any tool save for a Stihl saw.

Of course you'd be an idiot to try it on clip-on cases or ones with four little screws holding the case on, or watches where you get in from the front.

You wouldn't of course expect that from someone who lives in Canada....wishes he lived in Texas....and lives by the French motto of 'Lberte, Egalite et Fraternite"....and has a big c o c k as his sginature now...would ya'.....!

Friction tools (like sticky ball and tape) can work fine...But eventually you'll meet up with a case that has just been cranked down too tight. When that happens, it's really nice to have a proper tool, like this L-G Openall:

5900650.jpg

...only about $75, with a Rolex die set.

In order of effectiveness:

Sticky balls, duct tape, washing up gloves

all work fine

Agree 90%

For the remaining 10% of watches:

9% proper tools

1% my watchsmith