When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So I thought I was doing something nice for my wife...

Guest carlsbadrolex

Guest carlsbadrolex

Yesterday I was cruising the local shopping mall and happened in to Ben Bridge Jewelers. One of my LEAST favorite dealers, but one that is accommodating when wanting to window shop. The attractive sales clerk convinced me that the Pam188 that I was wearing was her all time favorite watch, and that she desperately wished that they carried Panerai.

After a few test drives, I found myself in the Tag section and saw a BEAUTIFUL ladies tag Link in white dial with MOP dial, diamond markers and bezel. Of course I am NOT going to buy this for my wife... but after being given what I consider an incredible discount on the watch I left with it.

I get home with a big smile on my face, thinking that I was SURELY going to be the luckiest guy on the black last night and definitely the talk of the break room at my wifes work. I stroll into her office and present her with the watch. The very first thing out of her mouth is, "Oh honey... thats nice, but I REALLY want a Cartier Santos." WTF??? I had no idea she even knew that Cartier made watches...Much less be able to tell me a model she was interested in. She took the watch for a test drive, and rather crudely placed it back in the box and told me to return it. I HAVE NEVER RETURNED A WATCH TO A DEALER. But today, I made my way back to Ben Bridge to return the watch I had so proudly bought for her.

Little does she know, it will be a COLD DAY IN HADES before she gets a Cartier Santos OR ANY OTHER watch valued at more than $200.

I dont think I would even offer a Cariter replica. I hope she likes Citizen and Tissot, because thats going to be about all she is going to be looking at!

RANT OVER.

But today, I made my way back to Ben Bridge to return the watch I had so proudly bought for her.

Little does she know, it will be a COLD DAY IN HADES before she gets a Cartier Santos OR ANY OTHER watch valued at more than $200.

I dont think I would even offer a Cariter replica. I hope she likes Citizen and Tissot, because thats going to be about all she is going to be looking at!

RANT OVER.

I feel for you, CBR. Giving a gift which is thrown back at our face is terrible.

I've been in that position IN REVERSE with (guess who!) my father, who bought me a lovely, rose gold Mikimoto ring when I was younger, but not at all my style. I had wanted something else and the guy who worked and slaved for our family had his daughter basically snub a gift he gave with all his heart, just because she didn't like it. Ack, I feel so disgusted with myself just remembering this...

My only excuse being is that I had asked him repeatedly for that other gift, which he knew about, unlike you and your wife's Cartier Santos' wish.

There is no moral to the story really. Just to tell you I for one understand.

I do think you're just hot under the collar now, and might reconsider later about purchasing that Cartier. She's your wife, no matter what. And you seem like a great husband, thinking about her and all. :)

Equally, I hope you tell her how much it hurt your heart and your pride as a loving husband to be dissed in this way. Communication, as I don't need to tell you, being so important both ways. ;)

And hey! It's good you have a place to come to to 'unload', too, right?

The very first thing out of her mouth is, "Oh honey... thats nice, but I REALLY want a Cartier Santos." WTF???

So you're angry at her because you didn't know her taste? :whistling:

Yes, it's a tough situation, but would you rather she wore something she didn't like just to make you feel better? I'd hate to be in your situation. Mrs Pugwash once got a gold bracelet from her new sister-in-law who was trying to be extra-special nice for christmas but it was obviously not her style. She was really in a worrying position over whether to just pretend she liked it and have the money wasted on something she had to wear every so often to keep up appearances, or just bite the bullet and tell her, causing a possible rift that would ferment into a feud for decades.

As it turned out, it was a lot less melodramatic than that and it didn't cause offence, it got returned and we're still all good friends. Mrs Pugwash's taste is much better known as is her SiL's taste. The bad thing is that they shop together now. :D

She should have waited a few minutes to drop the "I want a Cartier" bomb though. Just get her the rep...who cares. In the end would you wear a watch you didnt like just because it was gift from your spouse? Or would you say you love it and barely wear it, somehow hoping you could get the one you want? Either way she should have been more thankful.

I feel you pain, because I have been there as well.

Some jewelry that I have purchased for my wife is cherished and worn often. But too many other pieces just languish in her jewelry box. The best solution, I have found, is to shop for her jewelry together. That isn't my ideal of pure surprise and "I picked it out just for you," but the hassle and hurt feelings of making the wrong choices are usually not worth it.

And remember this-- it isn't the dollar value that is important to your wife (at least I assume it isn't) but the thought that counts. Case in point: For Christimas I gave my wife a $1,000 necklace that hit with a thud and ended up being returned. More recently I bought her an art glass heart that cost all of $27 that had her practically swooning off her feet because it reminded her of a similar glass heart that I gave her for our first anniversary Valentines Day. Go figure.

And this is why I would never buy a watch for anyone without finding out first if they like it. Watches are very personal things and tastes vary so much.

When I bought a watch for my good lady for her birthday a couple of years ago we went through catalogue after catalogue looking for the one she wanted, I got it and she was happy.

Hey...that is a womans prerogative....forget it...return the watch....and get her the Cartier say like next year...long after she thinks you FORGOT it...you'll come out lookin' great....and you'll be positioned better to get something for yourself with little argument!

Guest carlsbadrolex

Well, after a little cool off period I think Pug is mostly correct. I was not so much angry at her, but angry at myself for not knowing what she would like. Although the idea was noble, the process was flawed.

SO, todays lunch hour was spent at C.J Charles Jewelers in LaJolla ordering a two tone Cartier Santos. Although I wasnt able to get it to her today, she will be pleasantly surprised on Wednesday when the jeweler has it delivered to her work with a dozen roses.

Maybe there is hope for me getting a little something, something after all!!!

Well, after a little cool off period I think Pug is mostly correct. I was not so much angry at her, but angry at myself for not knowing what she would like. Although the idea was noble, the process was flawed.

SO, todays lunch hour was spent at C.J Charles Jewelers in LaJolla ordering a two tone Cartier Santos. Although I wasnt able to get it to her today, she will be pleasantly surprised on Wednesday when the jeweler has it delivered to her work with a dozen roses.

Just when you thought this world was a stinking pile of baby nappy refuse, filled with vulture vomit and a morass of pain and inequity, there comes a moment like this to make you think:

GOD, THIS WORLD ROCKS.

You're awesome, Carlsbadrolex!

CBR, I swear to you I will personally collect a whip-round amongst all the members if she doesn't. But only after I slap her, like Joan Collins!

Hmm, I take it that she wouldn't have been satisfied with a replica . . . :huh:

Well, everyone has different priorities . . . I've always wondered why a woman wouldn't be satisfied with a lab-created diamond too, but most I ask are against it (except for a few who prefer it because they object to the diamond trade in general). The engineer in me thinks "but wouldn't a lab created diamond be 100% ideal? Nature can't create perfection the same way that science can."

Sorry, got off topic there :D