When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this a real DRSD?

alligoat

I sure hope this link to ebay works. Lately, I've noticed they haven't been.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLEX-SEA-DWELLER-SUBM...1QQcmdZViewItem

Item # 14015648267

I don't like the crown guards on this watch. Then I looked at the side view and noticed that they don't droop. But then again, I only have a gen 1680 to compare it to, but Wightstuff had previosly indicated his 5512 and 5513 also had droop to the cg's, as I recall. Everythin else look ok, except it's hard to tell w/ the dial due to the poor pics.

What does everyone else think?

i was looking at this one a few hours ago too.. i agree with Repaustria that the crown guards are wrong for sure. At the very least it just needs 5 min with a file to square out the inner guards.. Its a really nice looking watch but its definatly not 100% correct.

Lonnie

Good find on the caseback post, avitt. The caseback on this watch is definitely lacking, and no wear marks so to speak either.

The case also has the fat lugs of an MBW, and I guess a working HE valve was installed. The crown and tube look good, but they're 24-702-0, not the more recent 24-703-0 series- wonder what the date of the service invoice is? Somewhere after 1980, they would have updated w/ the 24-703 assembly, I would think. And of course, what is the serial number for an MBW DRSD? That would be the icing on the cake so to speak.

OK, kinda like the stuff we see from www.jewelryandwatch.com. In fact, they even sell some of these franken watches, or will build you one for a hefty price.

I certainly agree with you about putting a 702 crown and case in a vintage watch- only a collector would do it- not a watchmaker or RSC.

OK, kinda like the stuff we see from www.jewelryandwatch.com. In fact, they even sell some of these franken watches, or will build you one for a hefty price.

I certainly agree with you about putting a 702 crown and case in a vintage watch- only a collector would do it- not a watchmaker or RSC.

I wouldn't be surprised if it did come straight from J&W, after a bit of antiquing... it has the same (but missing on the bay) off center pearl on the bezel as the photo J&W has for their "Labor assembly Sea-dweller 1665" (most of the rest of J&W bezels look right, and that is a less common error on decent quality Reps these days, even more so when the alignment on the numbers is actually right)

Exactly!! You guys notice how many "Paul Newman" daytonas are on ebay lately? wow i thought these were "rare"??

lol

I guess the GENUINES are rare but theres prob a million super-frankens floating around out there now and most are prob being sold as Gens for up to $40k. I would never buy a vintage or expensive (ie daytona) Rolex these days without having it checked by an AD first. Not even your average watch maker would suspect this DRSD to be fake i bet, unless it was a "rolex guy" like some of us. Look at some of the daytonas that "DW" or Ubi built.. those would fool just about anyone i bet. Scarey stuff. After all a Paul newman daytona is only about a $2000+ watch.. BUT you are paying for the brand, history, authenticity, rarity and "coolness factor" when you pay $40,000 for one. I would be [censored] if i bought this watch thinking it was all original and later found it it was a fake case with some gen parts and some high end craftsmanship. Its prob only worth 10x less than a 'real' 1665 DRSD.

Lonnie

Well, J&W and other sellers from Vietnam don't do good stuff... they sell those superfrankens for a hefty price to anybody in the world, and I am sure almost everyy piece gets sold as genuine. You can't imagine how many turn up on eBay lately... not good....