When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just got this today!

ahchard

This is my first ever rep Submariner, second Rolex rep. First was the daytona... anyway, here are some pics:

wristshot:

img6530fq0.jpg

To be absolutely honest, I can't tell the difference with all these vintage 1680/1665 watches...

img6531ux8.jpg

img6532ro8.jpg

img6533go7.jpg

img6534di5.jpg

All I notice about the watch is, high plexi glass, hollow mid links... and thats about it...

The edges of the case and bracelet are a bit sharp when worn on the wrist and probably needs sanding...

The bezel rotates quite easily both ways and does not click... I have seen some members post about this and it might just need some adjustment.

I am trying to decide whether I should keep it and do some mods to it... so far I quite like it, but I am worried I will scratch the plexi glass with everyday use.

Well, scratching the plexiglas with everyday use is what makes a vintage. And then you just polish it out!

Overall, it looks good. Some one will probably chime in about the crown guards being a bit thick, but just wear it if you like it.

If it looks good, it is good! It has a more classic look than a Daytona, if that is what you like.

And where did you get it?

Work up the bracelet with the advice already posted here and you will be happy with it. :victory:

Well, scratching the plexiglas with everyday use is what makes a vintage. And then you just polish it out!

Overall, it looks good. Some one will probably chime in about the crown guards being a bit thick, but just wear it if you like it.

If it looks good, it is good! It has a more classic look than a Daytona, if that is what you like.

And where did you get it?

Work up the bracelet with the advice already posted here and you will be happy with it. :victory:

Got it from MBK BKK.

Vintages do indeed rotate both ways without clicks.

Oh really? Boy I had no idea at all... thanks for the info! I probably look like a fool for asking that now... lol!

If I do keep it, I would like to install a gen tropic crystal and gen bezel/crown/tube... will do my budget later and decide.

By the way this was a present from my girl!

very nice!!

This is my next project i will be working on.

You just need to polish the exgraved lines out of that fliplock on the buckle. That can be your first mod!

Lonnie

I am not sure I am brave enough even for that mod! lol....

I am glad I got myself some tools recently though, used my new springbar tool for the first time to take off the bracelet and saw the engraving between the lugs "Original Polex Design 5513"

It's a beauty! Fitting a gen crystal will make a HUGE difference in how much you like the watch... it just sparkles. Then later you can start looking for bezel inserts, new crown, shaping the case... the sky's the limit! If you're really feeling brave you can attempt the Nanuq Special Lumpy Varnish Overspray Technique (NSLVOT) for that gunky spiderwebbed trashed dial look.

Bottom line, if YOU like it, then it's just right for you. :tu:

Thanks Nanuq! I am contemplating the mods...

But rest assured I am definitely not brave enough to nanuq-ize my watch... I still get nightmares about that poor watch (may it rest in peace)... lol!

You scare me LOL

:crazy:

I think you need to post a tutorial/entire section relating to your modding techniques. I would like to see how you do this spray varnish thing that you speak of.

I agree that a gen crystal is a must.. you can even get one from Clarks for about $15 if you are on a budget. Im gunna use a clarks on my 1680 project. I already have it here waiting.

Lonnie

...you can attempt the Nanuq Special Lumpy Varnish Overspray Technique (NSLVOT) for that gunky spiderwebbed trashed dial look.

"You scare me LOL"

Seriously, Nanuq has the best-ever advice on "vintaging" a Rolex that has ever been posted.

I might not have the courage to carry it out right now, but I'm trying. You should too.

Stay tuned.

When you remove the bezel.....it's easy to just lift up using your finger nails.......there is a flat washer style piece that you need to put a slight bend in.

This will give the bezel the needed friction to prevent it from moving on it's own. When you want to use the bezel, just press down and turn....just like the Gen :D:D:D

When you remove the bezel.....it's easy to just lift up using your finger nails.......there is a flat washer style piece that you need to put a slight bend in.

This will give the bezel the needed friction to prevent it from moving on it's own. When you want to use the bezel, just press down and turn....just like the Gen :D:D:D

Will give it a go! Thanks for the tip.

wow that clasp has a very good looking crown stamped into it.

over all nice watch. i want a vintage one day.....

Yes... the crown is stamped quite well... although probably for a vintage the stamp shouldn't be so well done. I was actually surprised my MBK came with hollow mid link bracelet and not the usual solid mid link bracelet that come with most MBW?MBK's.

Very nice SR Sub from MBK...I also have that rep and love it! Just gotta get off my azz and start getting some mods done to it...

funniest thing...wife snatched it off my wrist and asks if its okay if SHE wears it...I say sure...you want one? She sez, Nah, I'll just wear yours....

hmmmmm...its obvious she has good taste...hence she married me....lol

man, am I so full of it....