When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ptolomeo's franken 1680 project

Ptolomeo

Hi,

first of all I want to thank all the members that have replied to my noob questions by PM. There are a lot of great guys in this forum.

I've never post in The Rolex Area before, because since I discovered RWG I've been interested in other brands: Omega, Breitling, Bell and Ross and of course Panerai. I've bought lots of watches: reps, super reps, mega guachi super reps :p and I've got some great full modded Pannies, by friends as Vaccum and Finepics.

Even so my first rep was a green bezel sub. No idea if it is accurate or not. I like it and it's the important thing for me.

During last days, and after reading some of your great reviews of vintage subs, I've turn again to Rolex. Now I'm fully involved in the search of the best parts for a project: a franken (I think you use this word) 1680.

My first step was to find a MBW 1680. After some PMs, Dan in RepGeek (thanks, Dan, you're the best) told me that Paso and TTK can sell it to me. I wrote an email to both of them and Paso was the only one that answered. Paul looks a great guy and now I'm waiting for the watch (the new one with hollow mid links and stamped 503b) but here some pics of his gallery:

MBW1680_2.jpg

MBW1680_1.jpg

MBW1680_3.jpg

MBW1680_4.jpg

MBW1680_9.jpg

MBW1680_8.jpg

MBW1680_5.jpg

MBW1680_6.jpg

MBW1680_7.jpg

After that, I started the search for some genuine or good aftermarket parts.

A genuine 127 crystal:

1680_Gen_127_crystal_1.jpg

A genuine bezel and insert:

1680_Gen_Bezel_And_Insert_1.jpg

1680_Gen_Bezel_And_Insert_2.jpg

A genuine black dial with red Submariner font:

1680_Gen_Black_Dial_1.jpg

1680_Gen_Black_Dial_2.jpg

1680_Gen_Black_Dial_3.jpg

For the crown, I'm not sure what's the correct model I need. So I've got two options.

A genuine first one, with genuine gasket:

1680_Gen_Crown_Tube_Gasket_1.jpg

Second one (a genuine vintage crown that repaustria told me is a 702 model):

1680_Gen_Vintage_Crown_1.jpg

1680_Gen_Vintage_Crown_2.jpg

For the springbars, another two options. Used genuine:

1680_Gen_spring_bars_1.jpg

Or good aftermarket:

1680_AM_spring_bars_1.jpg

Now I'm looking for a good date wheel and a genuine hands set. If you can tell me a good source, I'd thank you very much.

I'll send this watch to a modder for putting all together and the usual mods (drilled out lugholes, crown guards, etc.) and, in the future, I'll buy a genuine caliber and bracelet.

I'd appreciate your sincere opinion about the parts I've bought (I need to know if they are accurate for the project and real genuines) and suggestions about what more I need and where I can find them. No worry to hurt my heart with the bad opinions :D

Thanks for reading.

Cheers,

Carlos

PS: Spain's just beaten Germany in the EuroBasket. Oeeeeeee oeeeeeeee oeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:clap2::1a::band1::clap::whistling::tu:

Well, you seem to be moving along nicely. A couple of things, the first pic of the crown and tube, I thought someone had said that that particular crown and tube pictured was gen, but the seller would send you a rep set, so be careful. A 702 crown is fine, but finding the 24-7020-0 case tube is tough or expensive- www.jewelryandwatch.com has the tube, is it gen, I don't know. Repaustria probably would. Hand set- a gen handset won't fit an eta movt, so it's all aftermarket hands to fit eta- 90/150/25.

Datewheel overlay- another tough one, unless you can find a watchmeisters overlay from someone around here, you'll probably have to stick w/ the MBW overlay- it ain't all that bad.

But if you'e serious about putting a gen 1575 movt in there, I'd leave the gen dial alone til you do. You'd have to remove the dial feet to attach it to the eta movt, but then it would be kinda screwed up for using w/ the rolex movt. Of course, when you put a gen movt. in there, you can use gen hands and your datewheel problems will go away. Good luck.

Ptolomeo - great stuff. You are well on your way.

One point on the dial. I bought the same dial (same front and back markings). I have since been told that it is not genuine - but actually a rep dial. The giveaway is the "m" in "200m". I think it is a great dial - but just wanted you to know that I have been told it is not genuine.

I don't have mine in my watch. I bought another white sub dial (which is also supposed to be gen - but i am not sure on this one either) that is less conspicuous than red.

Good luck

When I first saw the pics from the seller, I thought the same about the "m". So I asked the seller and some of our more expert members. The seller -he's got a good reputation in ebay- answered that they only restore genuine dials. Some members did tell me that it looks genuine for sure. Finally I looked for some genuine pics and I found some of them with the exact "200m" font. Who knows? When it arrives I'll take it to a Rolex AD to ask if it's gen or not.

When I first saw the pics from the seller, I thought the same about the "m". So I asked the seller and some of our more expert members. The seller -he's got a good reputation in ebay- answered that they only restore genuine dials. Some members did tell me that it looks genuine for sure. Finally I looked for some genuine pics and I found some of them with the exact "200m" font. Who knows? When it arrives I'll take it to a Rolex AD to ask if it's gen or not.

If it turns out to be genuine - i would be as happy as you. I have had one sitting on my shelf for the last half year. It may be a "re-dial" which is basically a re-finish over a genuine base.

Again, good luck. Either way - it looks great.

Check out the link below...

http://www.doubleredseadweller.com/rs1.htm

A good source for Red-Sub afficionados! B)

How confident in the bezel are you? I've got a spare watchmeister vintage overlay if you want one.

I'm waiting the bezel to arrive. I'll show you pics for your opinion. Chief, thanks for the offer. Can you show me some pics?

Carlos,

Neither crown is wrong since the newer 7030 crown is what you would get if it went to RSC, and like alligoat said the 7020 tube is going to cost you $150 or more.

You're going to have a great watch, keep us posted on the progress.

-TMG

I'll go with the 7030 I think. Thanks for your kind words, tmg.

Check out the link below...

http://www.doubleredseadweller.com/rs1.htm

A good source for Red-Sub afficionados! B)

Did you know this one?

Nice project Carlos.

I have the second crown you show too and it's impossible to fit it in a current tube just like Repaustria wrote, by the way Oli, I owe you a copule of mails, I'll send it this weekend ;)

My advise is to get a net crown+tube set (PM if you need help, I'm located in Spain too).

Cheers mates !

Nice project Carlos.

I have the second crown you show too and it's impossible to fit it in a current tube just like Repaustria wrote, by the way Oli, I owe you a copule of mails, I'll send it this weekend ;)

My advise is to get a net crown+tube set (PM if you need help, I'm located in Spain too).

Cheers mates !

Thanks for your help. PM sent... in Spanish. Is it a problem for you? ;)