When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Shurely Shome Mishtake

Victoria

I'm sorry to hear about your scratch, but look at it this way...at least it's a rep and not a gen. After a night of too much beer and vodka I awoke to find my two month old genuine Rolex Submariner had a scratch on the crystal right at nine o'clock. I have no idea how it got there. And yes, it is a genuine Rolex...I got it from an AD last May.

DEVASTATING. In a watch collector way, obviously, not in a tsunami/Hurricane Andrew kind of way...but still feel for you, M4rcus. :(

hxxp://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=1932539&rid=0 (don't know it the anonymizer is working, so I replaced the tt in http with xx)

BLIMEY! This might work...wonder why the watchmaker didn't mention this. (Because he wanted the money...why not, he charges little for everything else -- including sizing bracelets)

Quoting:

"It is VERY possible to polish a sapphire crystal and leave no trace of the offending starch. All you will need is some good quality diamond paste, a camera lens cloth (or similar) and a bit of elbow grease."

Dare I try it?? Perhaps I'm too newbie?

Anyway, thanks so much, M4rcus. You're a diamond which doesn't scratch. :p

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few lilght scratches on a crystal are like the fine lines that accentuate the beauty of a woman's face: you can relate to that, can't you, Miss Barrett?

Having gotten my first grey hair last year, I can now relate, sadly. :(

The wrinkles on the face are coming. I have fairly nice hands...I say immodestly...but with the digicam magnification, the wrinkles there look like craters to my eyes. YIPES! I hate that.

Something that looks too new, too perfect, lacks a bit of life, don't you think?

What, are you into Wabi-Sabi?

I think you're turning Japanese, I think you're turning Japanese, I think you're turning Japanese, I really think so! :lol:

Having gotten my first grey hair last year, I can now relate, sadly. :(

The wrinkles on the face are coming. I have fairly nice hands...I say immodestly...but with the digicam magnification, the wrinkles there look like craters to my eyes. YIPES! I hate that.

What, are you into Wabi-Sabi?

Into beauty, not perfection.

objectutilsbg1.jpg

Into beauty, not perfection.

Not to get metaphysical, literally META PHYSICAL ;), but for most women beauty and physical perfection are synonymous, Ryyannon. That's why cosmetic surgery is so important to women as they age.

This is analogous to men, their strength, and being virile. It's not the same thing, but for many men you can't have one, without the other. Silly. <_<

@Pugwash: No, I didn't! Mind, I only just learnt what passing the Dutchy by the left-hand side meant.

A few lilght scratches on a crystal are like the fine lines that accentuate the beauty of a woman's face: you can relate to that, can't you, Miss Barrett?

Something that looks too new, too perfect, lacks a bit of life, don't you think?

I quite agree. When I was younger, I used to feel that a watch wasn't really 'mine' untill it'd received a few dings. That said, that was when I was wearing Casios, not Omegas and Rolexes :lol: Now, I have the same philosophy, but my 'tollerance' for the dings has gone down... A few hair scratches on the crystal won't bother me (unless they obscure the lettering, hands or markers) but scratches on a bezel insert (especially ones removing the color) will bug me, and, although I'll still wear the watch till I can replace the insert, it is always something that irritates me to see, and something I always want to get fixed.

Someone on Biker Build-off once had a really extreme form of this, (it's not mine till it's scuffed up) almost to the point of OCD, and any time they got anything new, they would throw it on the floor so it would no longer be pristine, and they didn't have to worry about getting it scuffed up anymore. While I can understand their logic, personally, I think that's taking things a bit far :lol:

V: You could always buy a new PAM (on the cheap, of course ;) ) and swap the crystals over until you can either repair yours, or aquire a sapphire replacement :)

Someone on Biker Build-off once had a really extreme form of this, (it's not mine till it's scuffed up) almost to the point of OCD, and any time they got anything new, they would throw it on the floor so it would no longer be pristine, and they didn't have to worry about getting it scuffed up anymore. While I can understand their logic, personally, I think that's taking things a bit far :lol:

Da's crazy. :)

Seriously, I'm just as OCD about my stuff only in reverse. I have instruction manuals around of electronics I don't even own any more -- some from gulp, almost 2 decades ago! (Like the mini-white portable TV I got when I was a kid). A Minolta camera I got 14 years ago still is in its original container, and has plastic all over it. It looks MINT.

I think I'm like this because both my scientist/absent-minded professor parents are careless people, to the point of vagueness. They ding, scratch, bang, and clunk, not to mention lose..., anything they get within minutes of acquiring it. It's ennervating.

V: You could always buy a new PAM (on the cheap, of course ;) ) and swap the crystals over until you can either repair yours, or aquire a sapphire replacement :)

TeeJay, I went the diamond paste route, and bought some on *bay! :tu:

I couldn't find the TZ directed 3.0/1.4 microns, and just got the 3.5 micron diamond paste. Do you think I'll be all right?

The amusing thing is that the band sometimes say it is and sometimes say it isn't, depending by whom they're being interviewed. Here's a VH1 version:

Just finished watching it.

1) Dave Fenton has aged beautifully.

2 ) "Packing the hog", hee.

3) I wonder if there is a female version of this song, no doubt by Tracy Chapman. Because we don't exactly turn Japanese. We look like we're drowning. :cool2:

Da's crazy. :)

Seriously, I'm just as OCD about my stuff only in reverse. I have instruction manuals around of electronics I don't even own any more -- some from gulp, almost 2 decades ago! (Like the mini-white portable TV I got when I was a kid). A Minolta camera I got 14 years ago still is in its original container, and has plastic all over it. It looks MINT.

I think I'm like this because both my scientist/absent-minded professor parents are careless people, to the point of vagueness. They ding, scratch, bang, and clunk, not to mention lose..., anything they get within minutes of acquiring it. It's ennervating.

I have to admit, somethings I do like to keep mint, others, I feel a little wear gives character :lol:

TeeJay, I went the diamond paste route, and bought some on *bay! :tu:

I couldn't find the TZ directed 3.0/1.4 microns, and just got the 3.5 micron diamond paste. Do you think I'll be all right?

I haven't ever used it, so I wouldn't like to say for sure if it'd be okay. One thing I would advise though, would be to mask off the watch case with electricians tape so the paste only affects the crystal, or you could wind up with a few extra polished spots on the case ;) Best of luck :)

I would oblige, but my religion prohibits it. :wounded1:

Zoroastrism also prohibits the transmission of voices via Skype, just to head you off that pass.

I never resort to anything less than telepathy anyway.

Here's an anecdote that might lift your scratched sapphire/crapped-out iPod spirits: after a rapid search on Google for "Wabi-Sabi" and some of the links contained in the results, I based two classes today on the concept and some of its ramifications.

There's actually an international movement of programmers (Agile Alliance) which claims to be influenced by the concept

http://www.agilealliance.org/home

and well as a current of design philosophy

http://documents.stanford.edu/Traumwerk/29

and doubtlessly still more.

As one thing led to another in my presentation (aided by an overhead projector and an Internet connection), I waxed enthusiastic on what I saw to be other applications of Wabi-Sabi, including the whole "intuitive" philosophy behind Apple's operating systems, iPods (uh....sorry about that), and by some sort of serendipitous leap of free associations, the French designer, architect and funny-man, Philip Starck!

Quoting:

"It is VERY possible to polish a sapphire crystal and leave no trace of the offending starch. All you will need is some good quality diamond paste, a camera lens cloth (or similar) and a bit of elbow grease."

Dare I try it?? Perhaps I'm too newbie?

Anyway, thanks so much, M4rcus. You're a diamond which doesn't scratch. :p

This also removes rep AR and even "light AR".

It's the Ghost of Davidsen's Past!!

DSCF5476.jpg

Only ghost I know which wears a wife-beater. Muy caliente.

I never figured out why it's called a wife-beater.... I take it you don't have a wife ;)

WOW! I had heard of Philippe Starck before, but had never actually seen him action.

I am half-admiring your honesty, and self-awareness about your profession, but also a little sad. Is this really the truth? Or is the truth not important, but perception is all in life?

One day, I shall be an University professor too. I know it, even though my path is not as clear as others. And I would hate this attitude to befall me -- though it's one borne out by experience, and that's what worries me.

And also, you must be pretty darned good at what you do.

Yipes...then the question is not so much why do they tolerate you, but why do you tolerate them?

Yes, it's the truth.

You have to understand this: YOU have heard of Phillipe Starck (a Frenchman) before. These people - and let's be clear - this is not a "No dark sarcasms in the classroom/teacher leave those kids alone!/One more brick in the wall" type of school: this is the number one private electronics engineering school in France. These 'kids' are in their early twenties. They are French. And to a man and a woman, they've never heard of Phillipe Starck. If this weren't enough, I know more about microelectronics and information technology than they do - and I was a Humanities major.

As for being good at what I do, I think I'm the best, naturally.

Why do I tolerate this situation? It's simple, in a French sort of way: they've got me by the cojones. I have to work for them to be able to teach at the University - which is a great place with great students, teachers - everything.

It's the price I pay (the price demanded by weird French legislation) to be where I want to be: my head in the clouds and my feet in the mud.

They're now refered to as 'wife-beater's as that's what a lot of Trailer Trash guys wear while, you've guessed it, beating their wives...

That'd be my guess too... but still an odd name and how it is the popular name for this garment :o

I thought most called it a vest ;)