When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What do you guys say when asked if its real or rep??

djtimodj

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that - I really laughed out loud!

I just hope that I get the opportunity to use it someday

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

:lol:

I've never had anyone ask me if any if my watches were authentic or not. I think it's actually fairly rude to ask, it's almost as if you are questioning a person's means to buy anything expensive. Then again, I stay away from flashy things like Jacob & Co. diamond encrusted waches and solid gold rolex watches.

If someone is a true watch entheusiest, and they aren't a total snobby jackass, I'll fess up and let them inspect it. Mostly, I still think it's rude to ask someone if something they are wearing is "real" or not.

If someone is a true watch entheusiest, and they aren't a total snobby jackass

What about fundamentalist Paneristi ?

Whenever I'm asked about one of my vintage Rolex frankensteins I just straight up tell them the truth- I built it! Some parts are genuine, some parts are aftermarket... At that point people are more interested in the fact that I built the watch up than if it's real or fake. And then I'm typically asked if I can build them one...

that generally falls under the total snobby jackass category

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Whenever I'm asked about one of my vintage Rolex frankensteins I just straight up tell them the truth- I built it! Some parts are genuine, some parts are aftermarket... At that point people are more interested in the fact that I built the watch up than if it's real or fake. And then I'm typically asked if I can build them one...

Can you build me one ? :):group:

This is what I say...

"It's real but got it cheap because it's stolen."

"Is that your real hair?"

"On the record? It's a fake. Off the record? It's real. "

"It's not necessarily not unlike the real thing." (By the time they figure that out, you're gone.)

"Of course it's real, you can touch it"

"It's a hallucination."

"The watch is real, I'm a fake."

"It's a trick watch."

"It's as real as me sleeping with your wife!"

"It's real but I replaced the band, case, and movement."

"I don't know if it's real. It came with my artificial arm."

I have only had one person ask "is it real"...and I said, no...its a fake. I have had about 9 or 10 notice and say "nice watch" without identifying if they recongnize the brand, and to them I also say its a fake. I also explain it as a hobby and that I collect replicas of many many watches.

I could not imagine lying about it and having someone say "no, it is fake"

I have only had one person ask "is it real"...and I said, no...its a fake. I have had about 9 or 10 notice and say "nice watch" without identifying if they recongnize the brand, and to them I also say its a fake. I also explain it as a hobby and that I collect replicas of many many watches.

I could not imagine lying about it and having someone say "no, it is fake"

If it's some dodgy looking guy (eg. someone that looks like me), then i say it's fake. If not, then i dont have to say anything ;)

actually the first situation has never happened. :Jumpy:

One of the guys in my office came in with a Canal Street Breitling Chrono and was trying to pass it off as a Gen, I couldn't stand by and let him do that, so I gave him the smackdown and embarrased the hell out of him (It's OK he's a pompous ass) He then began to question my watches and asked if the Omega Seamaster I was wearing was real or not (I have several Reps and a few Gens, the SM happens to be one of the few Gens) and he said he bet it was a fake, So I bet him $200 on it. Needless to say with a large panel of my co-workers judging, we went to each of the watches Web Sites, and looked for the differences, His were Legion, Of course mine had none. Best $200 I ever earned, I am going to put it towards a 4th Gen PO I think.