When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What do you guys say when asked if its real or rep??

djtimodj

Just got my first good rep, A Breitling Chrono avenger Ti. Wearing it in work today and one of the guys i work with came from right across the room and said "come on then you know id spot the new watch" I take it off and hand it over to him. He had a gen Omega chrono seamaster Ti on. He looks at it and hands it back saying "very nice watch".

At this point if i had said thanks im sure he would have accepted the watch as real. My mouth then works on its own and chips in " thanks its a replica". At this point his mouth opens and his hand moves back out to take the watch for a closer look!

he told me if i had not said he would have beleaved that it was gen!

Have you guys had situations such as this and what do you or would you say??

tell them is a rep or let them think its real ????

thanks for the replys.

Tim

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that long ago I'm not sure what I would have said, at this point, literally with pride I would tell them it is a rep. Just a few weeks ago I was in the AD and took my 176H, took it off and handed it to the guy and told him I paid less then 200. It is real sapphire, real Ti and a very cool watch for under 200. I'm not saying it is always silly to buy a gen, but I'm done apologizing for having a rep on.

I once told a drug rep who was wearing a nice Brietling (Chrono avenger I think... I didn't know much about them at the time) that my Rollie was a fake when my boss says "He's such a bullshitter!" (My boss asked him about the Brietling.) I think the guy didn't know what to believe :g:

Since Pams are so funky I get asked about them and fess up. Of course, they just give me a blank stare because they've never heard of Panerai...

the "its a gift" is kinda like fessing up any how. Because who give $5000 watches as gifts?? ha.

also as I am only 20, people look at my age and see fake str8 away??

strange realy as i have a good job where i could afford a gen but just cant justify the money dur to the reps being so good!!!

My guiding principle would be to fess up if asked. No one has ever asked. Then again I am older with all the trappings which would imply I can afford whatever I am wearing. Then again, I have never worn my Patek Sky Moon out. :lol: The people who know I adamantly collect reps think I am nuts though (wife included). :)

the one thing that realy bugs me about peoples veiws on reps is that the watches are ALL cheap crap. i told my dad a paid 180 for me breitling and he said " god thats alot for a rep". i told him that it had saved me £2000 from buying the gen?? the quality of the watches we buy is very good and its annoying that people still think that reps are crap! any one else had people saying you wasting your money spending £180 on reps??

"Nice watch. Is it real?"

- "I sure hope so! It cost me enough"

"Nice watch...to bad it's a fake..."

- "What make you think it's a fake?"

(if "becuase you can't afford real" then "ake another look and tell me if you're sure about that" ---- if "because the rehaut is too shallow, the minute hand is too short, and the lume is too uneven" then "Far out...what reps do you have, this is one of my favorites")

"Nice watch. How much was it..."

- "More than enough...but you can't understand he true value of a nice watch until you own one."

Bottom line...I wear reps, and nobody has ever called me out. I have even gotten complement on cheap canal street reps. If someone indicates they know enough to know its a rep then i fess up and start taling about reps.

Not many people have seen reps as good as what we get here...not even many dealers. It's amazing how many people just casually glance at your wrist and change the way they treat you...especially in stores like Mayors. I just love it when they rush over to my wife and I and start pulling out watches...usually we'll get a "that's a mighty fine watch you're already wearing... have you seen this model.... (on with sales pitch).

You know, when I wear my real TAG nobody notices anything. When I wore my TERRIBLE canal street Tag people complemented it all the time it seems. My Rolly reps get the most attention. Nobody has ever attempted to call them out after verifying the 28.8k second hand.

Edited by Category 5

It all depends on who the person is. A friend I will tell right away.

At work there are a lot of people who could afford gens, but few who are really into them enough to buy one. They would sooner spend $700-1,000 on a PDA, GPS system, or game setup than a nice watch.

With most people at work, I would prefer not to chance the potential negative connotations associated with reps, so I wouldn't wear a really flashy watch (say a gold Daytona) at work -- but then, I tend to prefer more subtle watches such as an IWC or VC Overseas any way.

thanks for all the replys guys ive had this on my mind for i whill now, i realy like catagory 5's answer!! ha. I also think that for a young person like my self that its dumb to buy a full gold daytona or similar bling watches due to know matter how good of a rep people will just see a young guy and think FAKE. Ill stick with the lower class watches such as omega SMP, PO and bast ss subs thanks.

People just typically say "Nice watch" and move on. I find that "normal" people don't spend more than 1 second (if that) looking at your wrist. If they spent more time looking, I'd worry more about the possibility of being mugged! :p

If someone does ask me if it's gen, I just give them a BIG smile and say "Do you think I'd be wearing a $BIG watch here?" They can come to whatever conclusion they want to...

I've never been asked. But, I've thought about this scenario, and I think I'd probably respond by asking, 'what do you think?' Family, friends and colleagues who know me, other than my wife (who monitors these purchases) and brother-in-law (who is a member on these boards), assume my watches are real, so they would never ask the question.

Based on the person's response to my question, I would try to assess whether they knew anything about watches and go from there. Ultimately, I think it comes down to whether the person believes that you could possibly afford to own a genuine watch, such as a Rolex. Most people around you will have no idea what a Panerai is or appreciate a "double red" sea dweller, let alone whether it's a rep. My wife thought my 217 was a "Panera" watch . . . you know, like the Panera Bread chain. Actually, for years, my wife refused to believe that my watches were reps (I've owned gens in the past and her watch is a genuine Rolex) - she thought I was telling her they were reps to keep her from complaining! Damned if you do, and damned if you don't!!

People who know me won't say anything because I have a few (not many) genuine watches. A couple of them have gone with me to the AD to get it serviced so they know it's the real deal and don't ask me about any others. They know I am crazy when it comes to watches!

Either way, most won't know what a Panerai is... some don't even know Breitling. And one guy even said a genuine Omega was fake and he wouldnt pay more than $50 for it... but then this is a guy who doesn't wear watches, what does he know, he thinks every watch is fake!

In my experience, most people have heard of R*l*x and Omega, anything more than that is a surprise.

I told one friend that my 029 is a replica... he seems to think it's not great because of that and didnt seem to hear when I say that the same exact movement as the genuine is used. Maybe it's because it cost more than his Accurist he loves so much ;)

Maybe I should tell him I sold a gen PAM because the reps are just as good. :Jumpy:

When people ask if my watches are real, I say "yes, they're real. Here, take a look. See, real case. Real dials. Real sweeping second hand. It's a real watch."

When people ask if my watches are fake, I say "Here, you tell me if it's fake."

As far as I am concern, they are real watches. The brand name means absolutely nothing. I know the watch I am wearing is a real working timepiece.

Now, if they ask if it's was a genuine rolex, panerai, omega and so on...that's different.

In generall had been only asked by friends if it's a gen or not... so the answer was always rep...

And most of them checked our dealers too and have a nice watch or two too... i just give them some help by deciding which watches to buy and what they have to look for but prefer they do most of the learning themself :lol:

When people ask if my watches are real, I say "yes, they're real. Here, take a look. See, real case. Real dials. Real sweeping second hand. It's a real watch."

When people ask if my watches are fake, I say "Here, you tell me if it's fake."

As far as I am concern, they are real watches. The brand name means absolutely nothing. I know the watch I am wearing is a real working timepiece.

Now, if they ask if it's was a genuine rolex, panerai, omega and so on...that's different.

Very true. :thumbsupsmileyanim: