When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Reps sure teach a lot of lessons

People can say what they like about the rep industry, but I am sure that a lot of rep owners own, and can afford gens. I have sure learned a lot screwing around with the reps.

For example, I first thought Rolex bracelets felt cheap with their hollow links, especially when compared to watches like the 9937 Invicta with it's incredible bracelet. After slowly migrating to nice shark or stingray straps on Sub Style watches, I find that the only bracelets I like are the hollow ones.

Also, I didn't think I'd like the SD with its no mag date, but after wearing Subs and SDs, I find that the unmag date is actually more legible because you don't have angle distortion.

I would have never believed that I would like a 44mm watch and there is no way I would have ever bought one - but sine reps are relatively inexpensive, I tried some Pams and found that I really like them - especially my PVD 028.

I always thought Chronos looked very cool, until I started wearing them and found that the busy dials were too confusing to read at a glance. I like my Breitling collection for the occasional wear, but I am sure glad I have no real money invested.

Similarly, I would never have believed that I would wear any watch by Chanel - and porcelain seems like a crazy thing to make a watch out of. I got Ms. King's best J-12, and I find that it is one of my favorite watches. That bracelet has a feel that you would recognize instantly with your eyes closed.

The most valuable thing other than the experience, has been the exposure to people who cheerfully serve as a wellspring of information like Ziggy and Joshua.

Bill

With all the stuff that you have learned here you know more than most gen owners. It makes for good cover as well. If someone is inclined to doubt you, you have the resources to shut them down. You can compare the AP royal oak to the IWC Ingenieur and actually know what you're talking about. You can drop names like Sub, Seadweller, etc. and actually visualize the differences.

One guy noticed my SS Sub and said, that is my favourite Rolex. He had an older GMT Master. I told him that I like mine but am considering a Seadweller because of the cyclops issue. I handed it to him and said that I wasn't sure how I liked the hollow mid links, and waxed philisophical on the 3135 cal movement. At the end he handed it back and said, "damn, that is a nice watch. I think that I'm going to get one".

The more you learn here, the more you can appreciate the quality of gen vs reps, so when you get a fine watch (if you don't have one already) you really know what you have.

It's nice to know that people here can appreciate the wealth of information and knowledge that we have here.

With all the stuff that you have learned here you know more than most gen owners. It makes for good cover as well. If someone is inclined to doubt you, you have the resources to shut them down. You can compare the AP royal oak to the IWC Ingenieur and actually know what you're talking about. You can drop names like Sub, Seadweller, etc. and actually visualize the differences.

very true. there's no way i'd have any idea about gens if it weren't for (old and new) RWG.

Edited by Hok

TJ-

Very well put. I had never thought about it but my watch vocabulary and general knowledge of who makes what and the movement therein has definitely increased exponentially. Before I came here the only gens I knew anything about were AP, PAM, Breguet and Vacheron (and even within that limited range I had no concept of the underlying movement). Hooray for RWG! :D

I agree with Bill .. we have the PRIVILEDGE to wear and handle watches and at the end see what we like best.

And if the price is not a problem we WILL get the PERFECT genuine for us.

For example I have find out that the watch tha fits me, my style and could easily buy as a genuine and keep it forever is the Panerai 212...

Too bad though I cannot afford it :(