When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sold!

Victoria

Read this.

"Power, steel, and color express the identity of man and machine. This brilliant XXX's black-edged red leather strap joins sets off the massive brushed steel case framing an intricate dial. The tachymeter scale on black and gray surrounds the white centre with concentric metal rings beneath reflective hour markers and the Arabic numeral 12. A date window at hour 8 and three counters offer an intricate play of indices; the red split-second subdial is a delight. Squelette red hour and black minute hands with Superlite highlights and thin black seconds hand mark time."

Based on reading this watch description, have you got a good mental image of it?

I just read the description in Google, after inputting a search string with "intricate indices". I thought, wow, that sounds like an interesting watch. So I clicked.

http://www.squiggly.com/swatch/p/product/i.../Red%20Storming

Even I couldn't do justice to that description in the Capers.

:lol:

"Power, steel, and color express the identity of man and machine. This brilliant XXX's black-edged red leather strap joins sets off the massive brushed steel case framing an intricate dial. The tachymeter scale on black and gray surrounds the white centre with concentric metal rings beneath reflective hour markers and the Arabic numeral 12. A date window at hour 8 and three counters offer an intricate play of indices; the red split-second subdial is a delight.

After all of that madness, the best way he could describe the subdial was to call it a "delight"? What happened? Did the computerized thesaurus overload or something??

After all of that madness, the best way he could describe the subdial was to call it a "delight"? What happened? Did the computerized thesaurus overload or something??

I absolutely love the intro:

"Power, steel, and color express the identity of man and machine."

You're thinking at this point, wow this is, oh I don't know, a Rolex Explorer worn by Ed Hillary his-self! A Bentley for Breitling! A new tourbillon, two-tone Vache AT LEAST!

And then, whammo. Right in the kisser. /Peter Griffin

"Presentation is nine tenths of the meal"--I whole-heartedly agree.

I've tried my best to describe even the most mundane items that I've sold here, and on on other boards (e.g. RWI, TRC, etc.) & in all honesty, spending the extra time sounding like an English Lit major, really helps promote the item (coupling them with detailed photography boosts the appeal as well). Most items I've sold--even high-end Bergeon pressure testers for $500--usually gets my stuff sold in only a matter of minutes, and at most, just a few hours.

Under-promise and over-deliver is the key to satisfaction.

:)

• 2 months later...

:lol: Great find - perhaps the Squiggly copywriter is a frustrated wannabe Mills & Boon author! :p

Can we try some more - see if you can guess the watch....

"Born to drive and built for speed: the story of a man and his stylish big machine"

Did you guess - this?

swatchtopreliefyos4045wp5.jpg

Imagine these monstrosities:

"Swirls and whorls put a spell on you. The fabric strap features a fascinating pattern in relief in a darker and lighter shade of beige, offering a subtle tactile pleasure. The transparent plastic case..."

"Stars twinkle in the depths of a black velvet night"

"Sculptured cartoon kitty-cats perch on the pink and white criss-cross patterned fabric strap of this adorable Gent"

"For the gentleman hunter on the prowl"

"For the man who feels at home in a coat of armour made of shining metal"

Wow - I think the folk at the J Peterman catalogue are getting worried....!

I had no idea that so many of Swatch's watches were THAT awful - wow.

"For the gentleman hunter on the prowl"

WTF. :lol: Sounds like a Victorian pater familias looking for poonanny in the East End.

Wow - I think the folk at the J Peterman catalogue are getting worried....!

LOL! I was only just looking at their online site the other day. Check this out:

"New York Subway strike of the late