When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Correct Cartier Santos Dial Project Part 2.

rocket754

Just as the title states. I need people to help me quality control this dial before it gets produced.

I believe we basically have a good example here but it may require some tweeks. Let me know.

Sorry to say but I have had more demand for the dials then I will have in hand. I can try to get some more produced in the final run but don't hold me to that cause it will cost me even more $$$.

Unless anyone wants to donate to the rocketgirl foundation :p

Anyhow, here is the sample

samplesantosdial1hb7.jpg

The gen pic for comparison

dialtw2.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "L" to the right and left of the "swiss made" at the bottom is not the version we want to have produced. That is a special edition.

I see 11 and 12 roman numberals need to be spaced closer.

roman numberal 5 needs to be spaced up against the "made".

The word "automatic" needs to be spaced ever so slightly lower.

The word "cartier" needs to be strecthed a bit and the font is slightly off but in the original dial project nobody could find the right font so we may have no choice in that respect

I just got this sample emailed to me just an hour ago

Hi Rocketman,

one other thing that I notice is that the rep numbers tend to be raised more than the gen dial markers. is this what subzero was trying to say? if so, just please excuse me for bringing that up again. But the dial on the gen has that flatter feel, where as the rep dial looks all 3-D on you......lol, am I crazy or what? I must be, it's starting to be late here in the midwest......

Hi Rocketman,

one other thing that I notice is that the rep numbers tend to be raised more than the gen dial markers. is this what subzero was trying to say? if so, just please excuse me for bringing that up again. But the dial on the gen has that flatter feel, where as the rep dial looks all 3-D on you......lol, am I crazy or what? I must be, it's starting to be late here in the midwest......

dude...it must be getting late :lol: :lol: What's going on woody :1a:

I think subzero was just making mention that the dial it should be printed on should be semi-gloss and no flat white in color. I better go to the cartier AD in the cherry creek mall this weekend to verify. B)

Hi Rocketman,

I agree, on the rep there appear to be highlights on the numbers (there are no highlights on the gen) - not sure if this is because the numbers no the rep are raised or if the highlights are part of the font.

Anybody willing to photoshop the corrections in text format pointing to the problem areas?

Here is an overlay of the above pics of the OEM and the prototype. I found this technique very helpful when I was working on the DW overlay project, because overlays don't lie, the way side by side comparisons can.

Of course you'll have to do this yourself from a scan of the sample dial, thigh higher res the better, and as dead-on-fro- the-front pic of the OEM as you can find. I tweaked the perspective on the pics to get them both as straight as possible, but there is no way to get the sample dial pic aligned accuratetly...the dial was leaning too much on the surface. Foir that reason, this overlay won't be all that useful. To do an overlay:

Scan the sample dial as straight and in as high a resolution as possible. Save the scanned image.

find a pic of an OEM dial as dead-on from the front as possible. The one above is pretty good if you cant find better. Let me know if you'd like me to adjust that image so it is straight on.

1)Open the pics of the OEM and the image of the scanned dial.

2)Crop both images (use the crop tool in photoshop in the tools pallate) so that only the dials are visible.

3)Make a new document that fits both images .

4) on the OEM dial image "Edit>"select all" then "copy" and "edit>copy" Then open the new image and click "edit>paste"

5)Repeat this with scanne sample dial image. It should automatically paste directly over the OEM image.

6)In the layers window select the second layer, which should be the sample dial scan

7)Slide the "opacity" slider to the left until both images are clearly visible.

8)At this point you may need to resize the sample dial scan. Click edit>transform>scale and adjust the bounding box until the a specific part of the images (I used the #9) line up.

If the picture and scans are fairly straight, you should have a fairly useful overlay. If you can get me straight on high res scan of the sample dial I can do this for you.

From my quick and dirty overlay I would certainly check the following:

Did they use the right "font?" for the numbers? It looks like each number on the OEM dial is all solid with no "cutout" areas?

The position of "Cartier" and "Automatic" needs to be checked. Also the size of "automatic."

The numbers look slightly thin to me, especially the thinner lines on each number.

Just from the pic of the sample dial, the ink application looks not to crisp or even, although that may be the pic.

Also keep in mind the OEM dial is enameled solid silver, which I believe would create a slight shiny and almost translucent silvery appearance to the white areas.? Can this be duplicated somehow?

All in all, a GREAT start. How do we go about reserving one of these?

post-53-1190341839_thumb.jpg

I'm still down for 2, right? I have 2 Santii coming from Silix, one SS and on TT. After upgrading to the dial, I think I'll also get the crystal AR's (wrong though that may be), and get the TT bezel and clasp replace with solid gold. Should look good when done.

oops... I didn't know you wanted 2 dials. I will have to start a list based on the people who PM'd me and those made thier requests known.

I will start a official sign up list soon.

I can add you to my list however, I need to double check with the maker to make sure I can add extra dials to my production run. I know it should be possible with some more $$$ being put into it :p

Why limit your production (and proifit) to what you estimate you can sell? Anyway, I can tell you from experience (and so can lello, chieftang, etc. I bet) that your actual demand will be less than the number of people you think want these dials at present.

A good way to do do this--which has been done w/ many projects including the cylops and DW projects I was involved in--is to request a partial payment up front. This serves several purposes: First, it lets you collect enough money to make enough to satisfy demand since you can pay your source half up fornt with the members' payments. You only make the amount you have money for. Second, it really separates the serious from the not serious. I've found that lots of people say they want 16 but when it's time to pay that number goes down to 1. Finally, it helps you organize the shipping because people can provide their addresses directly into Paypal when they pay. You don't have to keep track of PM's and Emails and PayPal, etc.

What seems to work best is to make a deal w/ your supplier to pay a percentage of the money upon completion of a good prototype but before production. Then posting a new thread when you have pictures of a prototype that meets your expectations, announcing how many you will make, what they will cost, etc. People can then pay a percentage and you can send that money to your supplier. If you're making a decent profit on these you might be able to pay your supplier 75% or more...or at least avoid taking a loss when it's time for people to pay the rest of the money. When production is complete you can collect the rest of the money. That way you have spent your time and energy, but hopefully not very much money.

The down side, of course, is that nobody is going to send any money unless your supplier gets these right. I know we're all willing to help w/ that in any way we can--not for money but just to get a good dial for our Santos 100's!

BTW, do you have an agreement w/ your supplier that they will not sell these dials until you sell out of the ones you commissioned? There is precedent for people commissioning projects only to find a dealer offering them at the same or lower price as sson as production is complete. Feel free to PM for details.

I have done my due diligence with respect to this project and I am following what you had mentioned above. I did not take any money from any members as of yet because I think that would cause more hassles than it's worth for me at this point. I am limiting my supply to this point because when I put out a feeler on all the forums as to who would be interested in a correct santos 100 dial- the response was minimal to say the least. I think only about 12 people really showed any interest. With the help of another member I could have had a 100 dials made but that was just too much money to dump into this project with only 12 people showing interested. I would have been out a substainstial amount of $$$

You did mention something that I need to make sure and look into. That is the issue of the supplier selling the dials at the same time I am selling them. I believe the chance of this is very unlikely but I think should look into it just to cover my a$$. :(

I really like the thank everyone who has helped with this project. I got to say it's has been interesting to say the least but fun and it's not even over yet. :1a:

If you're willing to wait a bit, then I can do what I did before and overlay the two. My computer's down for a bit, and it's the weekend (woohoo!) so I probably won't have time til Sunday or so...

Thanks Jdub. I need something like this but with all the new changes on there. I really need to keep the instructions as simple as possible.

dialqcky7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...