When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Will I Pine for the Heft and Shine?

khumzi

In short, what statement do you think PAMs make in general
"Let's see if you are a watch connoisseur (you cannot pretend you don't see it)"

and these two models in particular?
considering their lacking a date:

"Either I have a good memory, or I don't care what day it is"

SSurfer: Excellent comment re the lack of date. In truth I do use my watches to check the date from time to time but find that because I'm quite often planning meetings these days that I have a good memory for dates, etc. (Ha! How about a Moon phase PAM?! No, not really.)

SubZero1: Yes, I'm definitely leaning that way, although I will check out the base models Vlydog suggests...

Where's the style guru, Mlle Strap?! VBarrett, I'd really value your view too!

Thanks,

Khumz

I'd have to disagree, subz. I think the 177 on a black gator would look plenty dressy. Is it the brushed finish of the Ti that you think is more casual?

Yes, exactly right - the 177 (which I have, as well as a 111), definitely is more sporty with it's darker case and brushed finish. A 111 on a black gator is much dressier than a 177 on the same black gator.

OOH! Sorry, Khumzi...I've been busy today, as I will tomorrow, but I finally saw this other post calling out to me.

OK, so here’s the thing. I’m a psychotherapist

My mum too. This is why I'm so messed up. :p

and I’m worrying about wearing a PAM. It’s not exactly a low statement watch…

On the wrong person, Panerai watches can look gimmicky. If my father were at all into PAMs, and were doing hospital rounds with them, I would actually think they would look out of place, to be TOTALLY honest.

Patients want reassurance.

There is this medical doctor dad knows who does sock-puppet tricks when checking his patients (no, not a paediatrician, which would PERHAPS make sense), and wears kipper ties as part of his "bedside manner".

Sure, some enjoy it, but most of the people look at him like he's a freak. Even the nurses don't take him that seriously.

In your case, err on the conservative side. It's STILL Panerai, and therefore SUPER-COOL!

I suppose I could not get one or only wear it out of office hours but the thing is that I’d really like one and to wear it. I have the dreaded bug, the irrational desire, the school kid in the toyshop syndrome… I’m a PAMoholic and strap fetishist in the making!

First, whichever PAM you choose, even the pricey DSN or modded TWP ones, I can assure you will turn around a few months later, and buy the other choice you give us below, SO, with that in mind.

So, I would really appreciate your advice: a 111 or a 117? :rolleyes:

The 117 is less “in your face” but is it missing the whole point of the Panerai ethos?

And will I pine for the heft and shine of the 111?

...my answer is an unequivocal "Go with the PAM 111" from TWP, as you said.

And take advantage of the 50% off coupon to get yourself one of these three Mario Pacis (since you mentioned them specifically):

Mario Paci Special Edition Cognac

p74678344-2.jpg

Mario Paci Decima (X) Bourgogne

p399028370-2.jpg

Mario Paci XIII "3646" in Nero

MP13_Black.jpg

...they will all look awesome eventually with your PAM 117, which is definitely quirky enough to buy later!

How about a Moon phase PAM?!

The only statement a moonphase PAM brings:

"Here is a Werewolf"

Not recommended to psychotherapists, IMO. :lol:

Panerais say:

I don't give a f*ck what people think of me. I'm confident, and you're my slave! Pussy!

You see, you see, that's just what I mean!! You write a brilliant reply (thank you), full of excellent, considered and encouraging advice, and then you have to go say that!!! Sigh.

But, I have a cunning plan... As you will no doubt know, shrinks of various hues are quite good at turning things around (to be of help to our clients); to wit, "So, I think you're saying that you find me rather dominating [i fidget with my Fiddy and cat o'nine tails]... I'm wondering how that makes you feel?" :p

TWP here I come. Muah ha ha ha!

UPDATE: Just took the plunge! Ordered the Mario Paci Special Edition "Allora a Ora" in Senape and the MP XIII "3646" in Nero! Oh, and am putting the finishing touches to an order with T for TWP's modded 111H (inc. the crown stuff, probably). Haven't quite decided on the movement yet...

You see, you see, that's just what I mean!! You write a brilliant reply (thank you), full of excellent, considered and encouraging advice, and then you have to go say that!!! Sigh.

Don't try playing those psy tricks on V, khumzi.

She's a female, we have no chance at tricking them (unless they want it, obviously).

Better going plain and just tell her what you want. :lol:

Btw, congrats on your purchase!

Deal with it!

And do as Sssurfer says. Man, that guy knows women. :wub:

But, I have a cunning plan... As you will no doubt know, shrinks of various hues are quite good at turning things around (to be of help to our clients); to wit, "So, I think you're saying that you find me rather dominating [i fidget with my Fiddy and cat o'nine tails]... I'm wondering how that makes you feel?" :p

Err, quite.

My mother usually wears an enormous amount of jewelry on her person, you know, a bit like old Queen Mary (that would be she to the left, BTW...).

5708.jpg

Anyhoodle, the thing is when she was with patients she would always take off all her jewels, watches, and bling, save one piece, and a demure watch. It was apparently intimidating otherwise, since many patients did comment that they kept concentrating on her jewels, instead of on their reminiscences.

I just don't want you to be the male equivalent, though you can't go far wrong with either the PAM 111 or 117 (maybe the destro might be quirky enough to act as an ice-breaker).

UPDATE: Just took the plunge! Ordered the Mario Paci Special Edition "Allora a Ora" in Senape and the MP XIII "3646" in Nero! Oh, and am putting the finishing touches to an order with T for TWP's modded 111H (inc. the crown stuff, probably). Haven't quite decided on the movement yet...

EXCELLENT CHOICES!!

Movement...well, it depends really. Both will run. The question is for how long, and are you the kind of person who might be terribly embarrassed if someone around you finds out it's a rep?

That's why I order my PAMs from Davidsen now, and would with TWP in Swiss version only.

My mum is also a psychotherapist. I find it defines her more than it defines me though. :D

Oh, it defines you, it defines you...remember all those Stanford-Binet tests your mum gave you as a child, because you were her guinea pig? How about talking into a portable recorder, as she observed you in play? How about that time she allowed you to fill out her patients' info unto the word processor, though you were only 12, and you found out what "hypnagogic hallucinations" were?

Come on, you know this happened to you, Pugwash! :p

A Panerai 111h or 183 would be the most versatile, in my opinion.

PAM 183 I see more on Cardiologists. The 232 is clearly for Dermatologists only.

Maybe a psychiatrist should have a complicated PAM, such as a texture-dialed chronograph 253?

Too fussy!

At the outside, the Clinton PAM 089. Also, no go on the Arktos and monsters like that, IMHO. They're great sport watches, but not office watches.

EDIT: Hmm, the more I think about it, the more I think the 082 Amerigo Vespucci recently showed by Maxmillian, might be a good future purchase!

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=50479

Check out Maxi's photo, Khumzi (hope he won't mind):

P9190645.jpg

Maybe a psychiatrist should have a complicated PAM, such as a texture-dialed chronograph 253?

Maybe.

But I personally prefer the 212.

V, Yup, I likee the Vespucci. It's on the list...

Can't say that I'm planning on conducting any tests on my new (and first) baby (a 7 week old girl). I'm less a psychologist and more a philosopher really. She'll probably get [censored] with me for reading her Buber and Tillich instead of Spot and Barney. :rolleyes:

Banter aside, I'm not planning on wearing my snakeskin jacket (you've seen Wild at Heart?) and the 111H in client sessions. I generally hope/aim to help create "space" in sessions so don't want to clutter it up with too much of my stuff (literal and otherwise). So I guess I'm probably with your Mum on that one. I'll see what the thing is like in a few weeks time and make the call for sure then. As an aside, it can be quite handy for some clients to be able to notice the time on the therapist's watch...

Thanks to all and I'm looking forward to contributing here!

Khumzi