When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another Beginmariner thread--Check it out

llsteve80

Hi, I got my beginmariner with asian 2813 copy movement in it today, and for 118 USD shipped it looks great! The band is all that it's cracked up to be, the points on the crown are sharp as can be, and the dial looks perfect. The only things I have to complain about are that the crown tube seems to be not screwed all the way in so the crown isn't flush with the case, the band is noisy, and the rotor spins like a freakin banshee.

I'm going to mess around with the crown when I'm done posting this, but does anyone have any idea how to tighten that rotor or something? When I just turn my wrist that thing whizzes around like crazy. It only winds while rotating in 1 direction too.

Using the highly technical method of "counting" I count about 8 ticks per second, it really doesnt appear to be 6, so it's just as advertised as 28,800 bph. Super smooth.

Now, for the fun stuff. I have another caseback that has a different depth to it, I'm wondering which one is more accurate to the original sub. I also have gen crown, but my carpet ate the tube for that and it seems to be bent anyway. I'm thinking of purchasing a gen bezel insert, and I'm also pondering doing something about the band, as this one is very noisy and sharp around the edges. I really like the finish on this noob watch, so I would hate to lose that, but damn is that thing loud! Heres some pics and short descriptions of this baby and its (maybe) future parts. Let me know what you guys think.

Heres the movement. i like the colored gear, but whats the point if the movement is entirely the wrong color anyway? Either way, gotta love it

movement2.jpg

Here's a head on shot, see what I mean about the crown not being flush?

face.jpg

Lucked out with sharp points here

crown2.jpg

So which back? Beginmariner on left, some other one on right in both pics

both2.jpg

bothcase.jpg

Here's the 2 clasps, I think the beginmariner actually has a better crown on it

clasps.jpg

And here's my gen crown, see how its bent? It looks like its leaning, but believe me, its bent :(

gencrown2.jpg

gencrown.jpg

Caseback on the left is more accurate. Boy, they have the CGs pretty good on these stock. The crown is way too thick I believe, that's the biggest problem.

Who did you get this from?

Cheers.

I got it from perfectclones, pc-80108.com. You're right about that crown, holding it up to the gen it looks huge. I got the thing all the way flush now, at least. The stem was too long.

By the way, what is that beautiful watch in your avatar? It sort of looks like a 6062 stelline....but not sure.

Cool that you were able to get the crown to tighten up by, I guess screwing the stem into the crown a little more. I just put an aftermarket case tube and a gen crown on my $99 River noob w/ eta copy movt. It went ok, but first you have to tap the hole, then you have to countersink it w/ a larger drill bit so that the case tube will seat properly. Unfortunately, the countersinking cuts into the backside of the case maybe a mm or so. The rep case is obviously not as thick as a gen, or the gen crown position is higher on the gen case and that prevents this from happening on the gen. The assembly still works ok, but just doesn't look that good from the backside.

I put a watchmaterial pearl in the bezel insert, but it wasn't that easy and then I compared it to the pearl in my Paul's eta noob and really can't tell the difference. I'm certainly not going to attempt to put a gen insert on either one of these noob watches- it's not worth it IMO.

I'm wondering about getting a thinner rep crown and using it in lieu of the thick noob crown on my Paul's noob. Then you wouldn't have to do anything w/ the case tube. And after I finished putting a gen crown on the River noob, I wasn't all that happy w/ the results- it's not much smaller than the noob crown in the first place.

BTW, I did straighten up the cg's on the River noob in the process, but yours are pretty good out of the box.

Hey alligoat we meet again! R-W-G, Ebay and here. I'm tempted to bore out the hole in the rep crown tube with the hope that the threads will be the same on both the rep crown and gen crown. I can't try it because the spring tube is too thick to fit. I do have a spare tube in case it doesn't work but I want it for a franken project. Oh ya, the frankenjust is making a comeback. I made a oyster perpetual out of my parts b/c I didn't have a good date overlay but now I do, so I'm just waiting on parts. Also building a YM for about 50 USD total cost. That one might be a month though.

OK, it's coming back to me...

Anyway, the rep crown threads and the gen crown threads are completely different, so a rep crown will never screw down on a gen tube or vice versa. Use a gen crown and you have to change out the case tube, to either a Rolex case tube or an aftermarket case tube that'll fit the Rolex crown.

That's why I said maybe a thinner rep crown might be a possibility, so you didn't have to change out the case tube, which can be a bear to do sometimes- I think they've started glueing them in there lately! I had hell getting a rep tube out of a TW Best last night- it would not turn and I finally had to take a hacksaw and saw a groove across the top so I could stick a flat blade screwdriver in there and turn it. It had glue all over the threads!

As much as I like the noobmariner, I'm reaching the conclusion that's it's not worth spending a whole lot of money on them.

I'm almost to the point where it's tape the case tube and bezel, file the cg's a little, grease the o-rings and put it back together and go swimming! If a thinner rep crown would fit, I'd do it and be done. They are great beaters and if they're WR, it's perfect.

My noob crown isnt too bad. Im happy with it. Its not as wide as some of the ones i see here. I modded the crown guards on this one.. and its got some wear from daily abuse ;)

Noob crowns 'teeth' are 3.5mm wide

Gen crowns 'teeth' are 3.25mm wide

pretty close.

CIMG0839.jpg

Lonnie

As far as I can tell. Same case, dial, bracelet. The only question is, will the asian ETA copy accept genuine ETA parts when servicing?

I don't know about the 2813, but according to The Zigmeister the 2824 probably would. who knows who makes what over there though.

Here's a link to the thread on that if anyone is interested. http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=22000