When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How many of us are actually happy with our collections?

subzero1

Curious, how many of you are actually happy with your rep collection? I know a lot of people are "ecstatic" at the quality of their reps, but is that a long term feeling? Are you happy with all the pieces you have purchased? Or is there a nagging doubt at the back of your mind everytime you strap on one of these reps and walk out into the public eye?

Curious, how many of you are actually happy with your rep collection? I know a lot of people are "ecstatic" at the quality of their reps, but is that a long term feeling? Are you happy with all the pieces you have purchased? Or is there a nagging doubt at the back of your mind everytime you strap on one of these reps and walk out into the public eye?

funny.... i was just talking to my wife about this during dinner. i'm initially happy with my purchases and knowing that in 5-10 days i'll get a nice present to myself. Just the thought and excitement of a watch coming in the mail makes me want to buy more. I sold and traded most of my watches so i'm down to only 10. then again, i really only wear 5 of them.....the others are just "trophy watchs" hoping that if i'll hold on to it, it'll become one of those "rare reps" we all want in our collection. I may get rid of some more very soon... only to be replaced again...................... i hate this hobby.

i asked my wife if i was weird being a rep collector. she repied "you kidding me? a "COLLECTOR" keeps their collections...." go figure. <_<<_<

When i first started collecting reps my emphasis was more on quantity over quality. I have sold many of the watches I stated with. My current collection i am very pleased with. Quality now. Here is just a few of the noteworthy, Audermar Piguet MBW coming from Paso, Breitling bentley Big date, Bretiling Navitimer and Navi TT, Breitling SFSO in blue and white dial, Breitiling Super Avenger, Chopard GMT Mille Miglia, Chopard Mille Migla Ultimate, IWC 3717 from Eddie Lee, IWC Cousteau 06 and 07, IWC AMG TI, IWC AMG ETA, IWC Portuguese, IWC GST TI and White Dial, Hublot Big Bang Black Magic SS bezel, Big Bang Rose Gold, Big Bang SS, Omego UPO, Panerai 127H fully modded, Panerai 005 fully modded, Panerai 111H fully modded, Panerai 113 fully modded, Panerai 112H fully modded, Panerai 183H fully modded, Panerai 036 fully modded, Panerai 202A fully modded,vacheron overseas blue dial and white dial.

I have more but those are the ones worth mentioning.

Cheers

T

Like TWP, my collection was on quantity over quality. I had more than 25 rep watches at one time, including some craps I bought at Chinatown. However, I've since parred down my collection to only 3 watches now - one Omega Speedy, one PO and another gen Seiko, all which I consider good on quality compared to what I used to have. And I'm quite happy now.... :)

Right now I owned 5 reps : Daytona 116509 (Dead...), IWC 3717 A7750 serviced+ETA DDW swapped, Hublot Big Bang Black Magic, Omega ETA Ultimate Planet Ocean 45.5mm, DSN Panerai 113. I'm happy with them; sure my requirment on quality get much higher than before as long as my knowledge growth. As a result; I became more selective on my purchase. That's why things just getting better & better.

Best Regards,

Raymond

I really hate to wear any of my Rolex reps in public or at work. I always get all of those "is that real?" questions. It doesn't matter if it is real or fake, they still ask. When I wear my gen datejust, everybody assumes its fake. I'd rather wear my Omegas because few people even know what they are where I live.

I really hate to wear any of my Rolex reps in public or at work. I always get all of those "is that real?" questions. It doesn't matter if it is real or fake, they still ask. When I wear my gen datejust, everybody assumes its fake. I'd rather wear my Omegas because few people even know what they are where I live.

80% agree with u!! No one even ask me "is that real?" or I had been call-out when I still owned several Rolex before. However I think in the rep market; Rolex is the worse & flawly.That's why I sold out all my Rolex reps. Nowaday; I know whether they're Gen or not in a single sight (Because I knew where should I looking for...). I believe most of the newbies will get their 1st rep on Rolex; because they're so famous & the most easiest to get.

In most cases; Rolex is the 1st step lead us to the dark-side; are we going to became a Pro rep-collector or stay away from rep anymore , all depend are we going to found the right place or right way to learn/equip/expend our knowledge......

Best Regards,

Raymond

This is a neverending battle. I always say to myself, J once I get these last 3 watches my colection will be done. That's it, no need for any more.

Then something new I had never thought I wanted comes out and I gotta have it. The thrill in collecting for me is the hunt, the talk with dealers and other collectors and everytime I open one of those packages from the far east it is like christmas.

Am I satisfied with my watches, YES.

Am I satisfied with my collection, NEVER.

As far as wearing my watches in public, why else would I buy them. The first thing I do when I get home from work is de-bling. I take off all my jewelry and watch. Noone would dare call me out on a watch, they might get fired :D

However all my friend know I wear fake watches. Noone seems to care too much.

I'd say I'm pretty happy with my collection ^_^

A Predfan said, Rolex, in the minds of most of the viewing public, = Fake, but other than that, I'm quite happy to wear any of my (working :lol:) reps in public. Most people don't know enough about watches to question if they're real or not, or even notice. I tend to not wear my Rolexes now, because I just think they're too small, rather than for fear of being called out in one, and because my tastes have moved on to Omega and Panerai. As mentioned in another thread, I think a lot of the trouble people have being called out is a projection of their own concerns, rather than an all-knowing public.

Going back to my collection, I can't say I'm totally happy with it, as there are still watches I want to aquire for it, so I don't view it as complete, so that takes away from me being 'totally happy' with it as a collection. I am, however, totally happy with what I have :)

I'm pretty happy, although I tend to do my research after the purchase (which is a bit daft I know), hence one or two watches in my collection bother me a bit because there are now very obvious flaws that I wasn't aware of before.

I wear them all though, I rotate them about once a week. I have one or two that I have my eye on at the moment to complete my collection - been saying that for months though!

• 3 weeks later...

I read your post last night, subzero1, and have been thinking over your question since. Am I really happy with my reps? In addition to that question you are also asking am I proud or ashamed of my reps, or more pointedly, scared of being outed.

First question: No, I guess I'm not really happy with my reps. Sure I love when I first get one and put it on. But in a few weeks the excitement wears off. But is it a rep thing? That's what I've been mulling over today. I guess I'm not satisfied/content with much that I have. Let me explain. Years ago I bought a new Audi A4. Absolutely loved it then, and love it even today. But a few months after buying it, I started looking at BMW M3s and wondering if I shoulda bought that. These days I think about trading the A4 in for either an A6 or a BMW M3 or 6 series. Earlier this year I built my own Vista Media Center system, Origen case, kick-a** mobo, mem, grfx, 2 standard tuners for satellite and 2 over-the-air HD tuners. Paired it with a 42" LCD flatscreen. Is it nice? Yes. Do I still love it? Yes. Am I now looking for ways to improve it or replace it? Yes. Couple of years ago I replaced my iRiver with an iPod. This past spring I replaced the iPod with a Toshiba Gigabeat S, mainly due to it playing nicely with my Vista Media Center. Am I happy with it? Yes. Am I looking for an excuse to ditch it and get an iPhone? Yes. Years ago I started collecting reps. Bought way too many and was having a great time. A few years ago I got my first luxury gen (JLC Master Compressor Geographic). Do I love it? Yes. Am I satisfied with it. I guess so, but not really. :) Am I looking at getting some other gen? Yes.

See, the bottom line I guess I arrived at today is that for many of us guys, we are happy with what we have and are content to a point, but we also love to get something new, continually improving or updating our gadgets and toys. This learning new things, playing with new things, upgrading, changing my tastes... it's what keeps me feeling alive. So, basically I'm not really happy with my reps but it's not because they're imperfect. Rather, it's because I'm always wanting something else or something different. And I'm not scared of being outed - if someone busts me (never happened to me yet), I'll try to use it as an opportunity to talk watches and educate.

:rolleyes:

Edited by neuhoover

I've been at this for a lot of years and have a lot of reps (70+ at last count). I've enjoyed the increased quality of the new generation...and still wear the older ones.

This has been a lot of fun for me. Most of my friends have no clue because I also have my share of expensive Gens. Truth is I don't distinguish between them any more. I just pick one and wear it for the day.

Now that the prices have gone up dramatically I'm much more circumspect about what I buy next. Curiously, I've only sold several over the years.

Guess I'm an addict.

So what's not to be happy about?

the only thing i'm dissapointed about is that i broke a personal rule..

never get more reps than what i can wear

i am not one of those buy it and store it in a box guys..

so basically, I wear my HBB and UPO heavily..

but because i was missing a 'classic' SS watch..

I bought a Montblanc Timewalker.. that same day someone offered the legendary FM Conq 2892.. which I also took

so both arrived at the same time.. but both never get worn because of the HBB -.-

that's the only thing i'm dissapointed about.. i don't even see it as reps anymore, they're watches..

yet people notice.. ohhhh people notice the watch on my wrist ^_^