When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

what should my 1st pam be?

UB7

Been collecting for awhile now and I have always wanted to get a panerai just never got around to it, im beggining to like them more and more...any suggestions as to what should be my first? I like the 111, the 005, what are some others?

Thanks in advance~

Edited by UB7

I would agree with the 001 or 111 and would add the 002 /112 (base models without the running seconds).

Personally I prefer the older painted dials in the 44mm models and the 001 or 002 with the closed backs are the most accurate and ultimately the most reliable when fitted with the Swiss 6497 as it will not have been altered in any way. For me?...........the Swiss 002.

Been collecting for awhile now and I have always wanted to get a panerai just never got around to it, im beggining to like them more and more...any suggestions as to what should be my first? I like the 111, the 005, what are some others?

Thanks in advance~

UB7, the reason there are so many models of Panerai, apart from the fact that they're exclusive in production numbers, and therefore it helps to have many versions of the marque -- is that we all seem to follow some kind of pattern when we're beginning our rep PAM careers.

111/112 -- The default beginner's PAMs. They are EVERYTHING the marque is supposed to be. They have sandwich dials which lume better than Pre-Vs. They have exposition casebacks. They are 44mm, which is easier to find straps for (itself, another adjunct hobby). And they are deeply, unbelievably versatile as such. The seconds for the 111 seem to appeal to the mechanically-inclined; the Bauhaus lines of the 112, to the aesthetes.

Then, you might choose a white-faced PAM, like the 113. Or perhaps an 005 or similar. They make us interested and yet comfortable at the same time, since it's not a big leap in difference.

Since we rep watch owners can, usually the Fiddy follows fast on the heels of the base watches. That's obviously not the case with gen owners, I've noticed on Risti.

So we get the Fiddy, and we are OVERWHELMED by it, and the 217. It makes you feel instantly different wearing one.

Then you start to wonder, what else is out there. Could I try a Radiomir? ME?

The 183 or the 190 soon follow.

The 177 or Titaniums are fantastic, people soon find. Then come chronos, and the Arktos and outsized-bezel watches like those. Finally, the Cali dials, which are SO much more covetted in the gen world, than in ours. The 232 is not far behind.

Somewhere along the line, we want vintage watches, or Tantaliums, or something REALLY special, which no one out there has.

You literally cannot own one Panerai. Eventually, the lure of the other models will get ya, especially in the rep world.

So you ask the most fundamental question of all.

Can we give you pointers? I just did, others have too.

But the journey begins with a single click, with your heart exposed. Have fun. :)

Thanks in advance~

Just feel the Blackseal.....

Thanks everyone, some great suggestions...I do like the running seconds feature, I want to get something normal and plain, no chronos..I have enough chrono's..Think I will probbably start with the 111, havent made up my mind 100% yet tho...

Thanks everyone, some great suggestions...I do like the running seconds feature, I want to get something normal and plain, no chronos..I have enough chrono's..Think I will probbably start with the 111, havent made up my mind 100% yet tho...

Well. There is only one problem with that choice.

I recommened the 090. How do you think I feel right about now? Well I'll tell you. I feel rejected. I tried to help you with your first PAM and you ignored me.

What kind of person are you?

How does the synthetic sapphire stack up to sapphire? Is there any AR on the synthetic? I just ordered 1 from andrew the 005 for $128 w/ synthetic saph, brown leather strap, a21 jewel...Cant wait to get it, will post pics as soon as I do.I have a small wrist, can u get those leather straps tight around the wrist? Every single watch I own is SS band :-X

P9230001.jpg

topview.jpg

1 more pillow left...barely and its reserved for the pam :) , than I gotta get a bigger case..mabye ill get a case for my gens and a case for my reps...

Edited by UB7

You can strap it as tight as you wish. You might have to get a shorter strap or punch a few extra holes to your existing one. I'd say, get a good strap, it will make it more comfortable to wear and bring it closer to a gen.

Looking at your current collection: after getting used to the 44mm of the PAM, a lot of your watches will fall from "full size" to mid size.. Anything below 40mm will feel small and will get less wrist time.

Enjoy your new watch.

:)

Is that bigger or the same size as my brietling cso? where can I get some nice pam straps? sites? vendors? Do the straps from panatime come with panerai written on the buckle?

just got this strap from panatime...black croco leather http://store.panatime.com/24crgele11wi.html

Edited by UB7

Is that bigger or the same size as my brietling cso? where can I get some nice pam straps? sites? vendors? Do the straps from panatime come with panerai written on the buckle?

just got this strap from panatime...black croco leather http://store.panatime.com/24crgele11wi.html

Ooh, not Panatime. :(

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure there are some nice straps there, and guess what!, I bought with them first of all before finding this forum section. The owner is really nice too.

But they're like getting a Yugo when you can get a Rolls-Royce.

I'm not saying that just to say. Look, in my "PAM at the Beach" post:

280105-958.jpg

FOR STRAP IDEAS RIGHT NOW:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=50823

Read the second paragraph. This 50% offer ends IN 4 HOURS. So if you want a Mario Paci, GeF and others, hurry. It's an $100 savings, at the very least.

CORRECTION: MIDNIGHT TEXAS TIME. CET.

(Got the La Spezia Cognac, and Chestnut Croc, TeeJay!) :)

In fact, I'm actually here on RWG, just in case anyone PMs me with last minute "can't decide on which strap" PMs. Happened last time!