When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My half-worked 1665 (Not MBK I think, franken perhaps?)

silvio

Been working this project for too loong I think but don't think it's good enough to post here.

What actually encourage me is the compliments I received from foreign traders who have seen it in person and not too few offers attempt :-)... and of course valuable correspondences with Ubiquitous. Randy, whereever you are if you reading this, thanks for all the infos and the forum could need more gentleman like you.

Guys, much valuable your input on this. Please tell me what you think.

SHORT FACTS

- Started as co-project by me and a creative fellow collector which is previleged enough to have a gen 1665, which is a valuable reference point. 2 years long project, really don't invest as much time to it, what initially started as a 'fire' eventually turns into a snail-pace drag. Hope I can pick up the pace soon.

- Case is acquired from a local watchsmith who told us it was a 'custom built' case, sold by a Vietnamnese trader. This is quite a vague story, hazy facts that might be true judging by the different lug shape and engraving to the MBK/MBW I saw from the pic. OK, I've never actually handled an actual MBK in person (still waiting for my first one from TTK to arrive), but I viewed many many pics of modded/non-mod ones and do notice some differences. If not it's my poor eyes.. :-)

Back to this case, it IS amazingly one of the best case we've seen floating around since we compared it side to side with the gen and can fairly say it's very much accurate, lug shape & CG shoulder, etc... only main difference is the thickness of the bezel, the gen's are actually approx. 0,5mm thicker. But if you can see in the pics I hope you can see my point.

- All rep case. Needs: gen. tropic 39, gen. tube & crown, gen. insert and probably a good custom dial.

- Slow beat movement, albeit incorrect proven to fit quite nicely. Silver datewheel... (please see below for details :-) )

PICS (below caption)

Note: Sorry for the poor quality guys, natural cloudy lighting plus a newbie pictaker = far from good pics :-(

Front: dial aged, do need a Superdome....

Front1.jpg

Front2.jpg

Back

Back.jpg

Side: non working He valve, like old MBW

Side1.jpg

Crown: needs gen

Side2.jpg

Lugs engraving: different font from MBW (?-need your opinion please) - 6 million serial no., check out the thickness and curves of the lugs. We're pretty happy with it although not perfect.

Lug1.jpg

Lug2.jpg

Datewheel: silver datewheel, very hard to photograph but it's silver, like gen.

Datewheel1.jpg

Datewheel2.jpg

Movement: wish I can be 100% correct, but I guess a gen.1520 will do... correct slowbeat like the 1570 and silver datewheel. Can't complain with the accuracy, heck it's excellent! +/- 3-5 sec. per day.... not bad for a 50 years movement.

Movt1.jpg

Movt2.jpg

Movt3.jpg

I think this project is far from perfect, but maybe we can say we covered like 50% of the ground? I just hope that we still have the passion to carry on :-). Let's hope that if TTK's MBK arrive, we're not too distracted and tempted to start another one... that's the big procratinator talking.

Thanks for looking guys! :-)

Edited by silvio

Been working this project for too loong I think but don't think it's good enough to post here.

Yeah, it's really not good enough.... you should get rid of it. I'll mail you my address and I'll happily dump it for you... ;)

Seriously: I'm just looking at my MBW... if you feel this one is at 50%, don't waste any time waiting for your MBW to arrive.... ;)

how about sharing with the rest of us? :)

The case looks better than MBW to me and that sure looks like a gen crown and tube.. just look at the tube diameter.

Is this one of those expensive Vietnamese cases that i keep hearing about? 1520 movement fits in there hey? interesting.. i have beaten old air-king date i might canibalize the movement out of for my MBW...

@Repaustria - tell us more about this watch? Sounds like you know more details :)

Cheers

Lonnie

Hi guys,

To clarify about some enquiry about whether the crown and dial were gen. No, they really aren't but that's a kind flattery :-)

The dial is a reworked (re-made) from a non-Singer plate, done so the date window positions real well like gen. Unfortunately, rolex experts in the vintage gen. fora would spot it in a glance :-(

As for the crown, it does look like a gen post 2001 Sub & SD's new thinner & more fanned-out logo crown, but it's not gen. Plus it's uncorrect for a 1665 SD.

Below is a comparison with a gen.Tudor sub. All original rolex parts, same case like a 5513 sub but with ETA movt (a Ford powered Mercedes :-)). A correct triplock 1665 SD should look like the one on the Tudor.

Tudor above, 1665 below

Crown_compare.jpg

Cheers guys :-)

Yepp, i think thats one of the old 1 to 1 cases from vietnam....

Very rare and hard to find.....

Keep it you will never easy find one of these...

:o

Tribal, you hit the bullseye on the vietnam 1:1 :-)

As Olli stated, i think you don't know what nice piece do you have...

FANTASTIC :o

Think I pretty much know now. I'm in too deep and this probably is going to cost me a leg ;-)

Edited by silvio

Those cases fit gen movement straight without ANY mods... MBW's need to get their inside lip holding the movement reshaped - about .5mm...

Rep, Thanks for the info. That's what I'm looking to observe with my incoming MBK -- hope Neil sticks with his fast fingers :-)

how about sharing with the rest of us? :)

The case looks better than MBW to me and that sure looks like a gen crown and tube.. just look at the tube diameter.

Is this one of those expensive Vietnamese cases that i keep hearing about? 1520 movement fits in there hey? interesting.. i have beaten old air-king date i might canibalize the movement out of for my MBW...

@Repaustria - tell us more about this watch? Sounds like you know more details :)

Cheers

Lonnie

Lonnie, it is a 'viet-case', but I do notice some difference from the ones you mentioned (understand a website offers them for sale at a hefty turnaround :-) ). I can't say if mine is the same or a modded version from those. Other details you can find on my recent post.

Wow!!! That is magnificent!!! Very very impressed!

Now then... if that's a decades old watch, wouldn't you think it needs a few bumps and scratches? :Jumpy:

Seriously, smooth the bezel edges to round them off a little... bounce it around in a jar full of spare change for a bit, and it will be even better!

:notworthy:

Nanuq,

Thanks! :-)

Some moderate wabis are applied, but not too much -- not strong enough heart!

But appreciate your input -- the coin jar is a nice idea.