When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

clarks T39 vs Genuine newer and 'Flater' T39 superdome

vlaletom

I would like some advice by the expert.

I am looking for a crystal for my MBW 1665.

If i can find a old gen superdome in my budget i will off course go for it.

But for now i have found 2 options:

The clark T39 or a genuine Rolex T39, but it is the newer version of the superdome, wich is said to be sligthly 'flatter'.

i am refering to this one :

T39 new superdome

What do think, does it worth getting a gen like this?

Anybody had the chance to compare the orginal superdome wth the new one? does it look realy flatter ? i off course whants to keep the vintage domed look.

Any advice apreciated.

The one you pointed out is probably the new flatter top T-39 and not the old style superdome. I've seen those for around $100 so this one appears to be on the high side.

If you're looking for the original T-39 Superdome, this chap on TZ has it but only 2. Price is reasonable considering the rarity of this crystal.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tre...35778&rid=0

I have the gen T-39 sd on my 1665 and it is awesome. :D

I've seen the Clark installed in a few watches and it appeared quite good specially for the price. I haven't compared them personally to the real deal.

Here is a comparison of Clark's T39 Superdome with Helfands and 1 other vendor's dome (sorry, the other vendor's name escapes me?)

Image6.jpg

I have Clark's T39 Superdome in this

Image46.jpg

I think the Superdome being sold on TZ is overpriced, especially since Clark lens gives you 98% of the appearance of the gen. I have seen new gen Superdomes go for between $150-$200 on ebay. If you are patient, you can find them there. If not, $250 will get you a 'mint' (which is not the same as new) one today.

Actually just received my Clarks T39 SD today... had planned to buy a gen but was convinced to do otherwise by a few members.

For $60 it looks really good IMHO and will definitely suit my needs. If I am lucky to find a killer deal on a gen someday (i.e. not $250 ^_^ ), I'll just swap it.

As you can see from Nanuq's comparison photos, the differences between the 2 Superdomes (the gen and brand X) are minimal, and the differences between the gen & Clark's are even closer. I have both Clarks and the gen and, believe me, the differences are almost imperceptible and relate only to a slightly increased diffraction of straight lines (when viewed closely & directly) as they cross the circumference of the lens.

clark_t39.jpg

The increased diffraction appears to be due to a flattening of the inside face of the lens, which is more rounded on the gen. But, again, this deviation is minor & only noticeable at direct & close range. Otherwise, when viewed from any other angle (and to any casual viewer of a watch fitted with Clark's Superdome) the lens looks like the gen.

Image46.jpg

Another issue to consider in favor of Clark's is that these gen T39s are now getting on in age (they have not been manufactured in several years), so their stability and water resistance may be questionable. There have been numerous postings on TZ suggesting that owners not swim with a watch fitted with a gen Superdome. On the other hand, in addition to being less expensive ($60 for a small bit of plastic is not exactly what I would call cheap), Clark's lenses are newly manufactured and seem to be quite well made. I would have no qualms about swimming with a watch (properly) fitted with a Clark's T39 that has been recently tested for water tightness (this is one of the reasons my gen T39 is sitting in a parts box instead of sitting on my DRSD).

Sorry i had not much time to log in latly so i could not thanks you guys for all the valuable information you provided.

For what i see in nanuq picture, the new T39 is very different from the old one.

So for me it exlude the new one at the gen price. i'll probably be better with a Clark.

I'll get a clark i think, i already got a NDTtrading DR dial, so now i only have to source a 24-702/701 crown & tube and i am set :D

I'll post pics when done ...