When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

grrr.. questions about waterproofing a sub..

arminvanbuuren

hi i just received my beginmariner today.. and straight away i took it to the shower.. and the crystal inside fogs up.. so the first thing i did was remove the caseback to check the o-ring first thing i found out is that the o-ring was ripped in half.. so i replaced it with the one on my yachtmaster.. and also replace the crown with the one on my "perfect" yachtmaster...

but for some reason the watch still leaks.. and i need this watch to be waterproof.. my question is.. is there any other way that water could go in from other than caseback and crown?.. (btw i don't have the equipment to close the caseback properly so i use the "ball of masking tape method")..

What a piece of sh!t.

I'd be working on a replacement.

it really is not worth it.. by the time i send it back i have to pay $50.. and basing on experience (all my 6 watches that i ordered from andrew has always similar problem.. whether its missing pearl, bezel insert fell off, not waterproof).. so im not taking that gamble!

Hey buddy,

Yeah i wouldnt send it back.. you have to pay for shipping then hope customs doesnt grab it etc etc. Ive been there, done that and its not worth the risk. i"ve lost 3 watches this way, the last of which was my new sec@6 daytona that lasted 2 weeks... i sent back to Paul at Pam111 and he recieved it (according to the tracking #) but says he didnt.. and theres another issue also... the dealer customer service and trust.

Get a nice bezel insert with a nice pearl and glue it in really well. You could contact the seller and ask for a replacement bezel insert and a new crystal and gasket and see if he sends it. If not i would use some clear UV glue (crystal cement) and seal that crystal into the gasket. It might not help much but should keep it dry in the shower and during casual swimming. Be sure to grease the o-rings inside the crown also and verify they are there... in theory there should be 3 o-rings on the crown tube (aka Triplock)

Let us know how it turns out and how you resolved it all

Lonnie

it really is not worth it.. by the time i send it back i have to pay $50.. and basing on experience (all my 6 watches that i ordered from andrew has always similar problem.. whether its missing pearl, bezel insert fell off, not waterproof).. so im not taking that gamble!

First, make sure the crystal does not contain any hairline cracks or fissures. Remove the crystal from the case, clean it well and hold it up to light to see if you see anything. Then, if it looks ok, reinstall the crystal with a new gasket (if applicable for your watch) and use silicone watch sealant on both the gasket and around the bottom edge of the crystal. Also, be sure to apply a light coating to the entire caseback gasket and the gaskets in the crown tube. Depending on the maker of your sub, there can be between 1 and 4 gaskets in and around the crown & crown tube. If the caseback gasket was damaged (you said the original one was in 2 pieces), then it is very possible that the crown tube gaskets are also damaged or lacking silicone sealant. And although some believe it is ok to close the case with one of those 'balls' or a wad of tape, I do not believe these methods provide a reliable seal. You should purchase a Rolex caseback wrench. You can find cheap ones for as little as $40 or so (I have an extra one (mint condition) that I would be willing to sell for $25 plus shipping costs--PM me if you are interested). This is one of the wisest investments you can make if you plan to be opening your cases in the future.

Might be time to try a new dealer, amigo ;)

thanks for your suggestions.. but i think so far it'll be good.. andrew said he'll replace my bezel insert.. and i guess if i cant wear it for shower or swimming then it'll just be my dress watch.. i mean my omega UPO is bulletproof.. and i swear i think andrew sent me a wrong watch anyway.. the movement on my beginmariner is really an eta copy.. it looks exactly like the eta 2834, moves like a 2834 and feels like a 2834.. the only thing that isnt there is the eta stamping.. when i get home later i will post a pic :)