When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Using Fleabay wannabe sub for project?

trance220

I was looking on ebay and found this "Musk submariner" it looks like it may be a good watch to practice mods on. The crown guards look like they could be worked, lugholes, and the rehaut looks like it's nice and deep. What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Musk-mens-watch-Automa...1QQcmdZViewItem

Sorry if this has been mentioned before...

I have one of these from a different seller. The case is nice. No markings inside or out. It has a smallish Chinese or NK, tight functioning, jeweled automatic, with HACK and QUICKSET. Bezel isn't the sharpest, and a little loose, the pearl is freakishly round and pronounced.

The bracelet on mine is not the bracelet on the one pictured with this auction, but has crappy fliplock and non-fuctional extension (ie always extended, not engineered to actually close).

For reasons completely my own, I welded directly on the caseback with a MIG welder, burning a nice hole through it's thin skin, close to where the mainspring was located, which lightly smoked the inside of the crystal, and melted the plastic spacer a bit. However, the movement is a little trooper, and is still running happily within seconds per day.

The crystal, although the cyclops is a bit under powered, has a nice surprise waiting for you though...

Yeah, that dial has gotta go. Thanks for the timeholders info! got my bid in on a blue bezel sub. The bezel is getting replaced anyways so no biggie. How's the bezel setup? Is it like the mbw, or more like the new hard to remove noob style? I couldn't wait for my trustymariner to arrive, and now that it's here it's too nice to possibly ruin it so the musk watch is perfect! Thanks for your info on it!

Edited by trance220

I'm bidding on a different watch now. check this out - hope it's the right size..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Luxury-Men-Automatic-M...oQQcmdZViewItem

The original link also said it came with a leather strap, so I think it might have been a "cut and paste" description from another watch. Hope this other watch is correct..

Edited by trance220

I don't really do anything that isn't "unobtainable" vintage... so, I don't have a Noob, or MBK. And can't rightly compare it against any "named" Rep.

It is not the same as a Gen, in that the retaining lip is continuous around the case, and the click is a long (1.5") wire going half way around the bezel to around 5, starting from a hole at about 10:45. The Gen would have a wider lip with indent and hole around 1 with a short click wire extending to 12.

Yup, that's the watch. Probably not going to be the band though.

HA HA! I was thinking the same thing! If it was a TW case I would order 20 more! We'll see what's up when it arrives... I'm pretty sure it's just a run of the mill sub case with no serial's etc.. rehaut looks really deep though... deeper than my trustymariner I just bought...

Edited by trance220

Here's another one for ya.

Tudorish Sub on the Bay

It would be sweet to have a model decal maker make a Tudor Sub decal set for this dial. Most dial lettering comes off easy enough. Then the dial could be clearcoated. Snowflake hands and a movement upgrade. Maybe drill the lugholes and add a non-sel band...maybe a black bezel and a Tudor crown.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got my Musk sub yesterday and it was a disappointment. Shallow rehaut, no lug holes. I guess the cases have changed from the picture. 30.5mm crystal w/ cyclops too far right, Rolex datewheel w/ open 6's and 9's.

Only good news is that the inside diameter of the chapter ring is 27.3mm- a gen dial could fit, but the case sux-

what's the point? Cheap chinese movement inside.

I wonder about the Alpha watches- $50 or so. I'd love to find a TW best case.....

Man, that really sucks.... Mine still hasn't arrived yet. Now I'm bummed knowing I'm going to get a crap case. At least I can use it to practice mods though... The alpha sub looks okay on the pics, kinda conical rehaut, but who knows? It could be like the musk sub, different pic from the actual item...

Edited by trance220

Mine came today, and really it's not that bad. My eyes may be fooling me, but case thickness looks thicker than my trusty sub. Rehaut is deep, but is a little conical, not really any worse than my trustymariner though. No lugholes, but I can fix that. I've already shaped the crown guards, they weren't as thick as my trusty, all I had to do was knock the pointy tip off and round them a bit. I must say that for my first attempt, it looks pretty decent. Just trying to get a good polish right now. I've started the aging process, added some nice flaws to the sides. Cannot get the bezel off to save my life though. Here's something funny, the pearl looks better than the one on my trustymariner. So will a plastic crystal fit? How would it look as an older sub? Any ideas of where I should take it style wise?

trance,

thumb at 12... push the bezel down (toward the lug, not the case), pry up with case knife or butter knife or whatever at 5-6...

Even more fun trying to put it back.... (don't try and put that long ass spring in it's hole first... lay it in the bezel and set it as you are putting the bezel on...)

Yes, with an aftermarket plexi it will make a fairly decent near vintage.

BTW: how's the crystal?