When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hublot: New Big Bang and 'in house' movement released

geo1nah2a

From Hublot's announcement:

" Hublot is turning a page in its history book: the Swiss watchmaker can now manufacture its watches from start to finish!

Today, it unveils not just the first fruits of its 'in-house' machines, but also an alloy developed within its very own workshops. The peak of its achievements is the ability to manufacture its movement AND case in a single material. The watchmaker's own alloy combines all the qualities required for both the operation and decoration of the timepiece.

Hublot is to present an exclusive, unheard-of concept in the shape of its new Mag Bang. Not only is it the first time that a case and movement are being made in the same material and finish, but another world premiere is the use of Hublonium for each component! The whole piece is made entirely 'in-house' at Hublot."

You can have a look at time zone's page: hxxp://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=3151388&rid=0

The Mag Bang is so-so for me.. I have to see it in person to evaluate the gray color of this new aloy (hublonium... bad marketing IMHO)

The 'in house' caliber on the other hand is very nice. It is based on the design of the 7750, but Hublot has made several design changes (materials, shape of bridges, etc) . The 7750 is a robbust caliber and these 'in house' manufactured calibers will be even better. Look at the date mod. Tight. Look at the fit and finish. Sharp. I doubt any rep manufacturer will even try to copy this caliber.. I am sure, now they have started with 'in house'7750, we'll wittness more innovations that will put to good use the machinery and personnel that Hublot has acquired lately.

All this to [censored] off the rep makers. Kinda childish if you ask me. :p

Hublot can keep that watch and their Hublonium. I guarantee it will be marked up to the price as if it were platinum. It looks kinda like a steel and ceramic alloy. The color is hideous. Who wants a bland grey watch?

Furthermore, the geniuses that designed the "in house" movement just repped a 7750. They are no better than the chinese factories. I will laugh if swatch group comes after them for infringement.

Hublot can keep that watch and their Hublonium. I guarantee it will be marked up to the price as if it were platinum. It looks kinda like a steel and ceramic alloy. The color is hideous. Who wants a bland grey watch?

Furthermore, the geniuses that designed the "in house" movement just repped a 7750. They are no better than the chinese factories. I will laugh if swatch group comes after them for infringement.

My feelings pretty much mimic JF420's.

I read that they licensed the 7750 design, so that they would revamp-redesign it as they want. As some of the people post in timezone, this is not the 'in house' they were waiting for.. I think it is clear: they have the money to buy machinery, recruit top designers, but in the end there is one thing they can't buy:time. It will take a few more months till they will release a proper in house caliber that is not limited edition (because their bigger bang IS an excellent caliber... trully unique)

For the time being, they sacrificed some resources to fight the 'lightly modified eta7750' in a 20k watch oxymoron and to make it possible for the gen owners to look at rep-gen photo comparisons without freaking out.

PS: The Hublonium sounds like a joke and is one of the first times that I see JCB let such a banality slip by.. Maybe it is a joke??

If I were to use your reasoning, then one can also say that IWC also repped a 7750 in the making of their Da Vinci.

"List price US$26,900": Is this the highest price for a chrono in an aloy case (not precious metals)

"Total weight: 78g" feather weight..

"The whole piece is made entirely 'in-house' at Hublot. " Guess that makes it 100% made in Switzerland?

"Clasp: Simple Ardillon buckle 2 loops, in Hublonium " Adrillon is the classic tang buckle in marketing jargon :p

For that kind of money you have a whole list of excellent watches to choose from, and with a whole load more horological heritage and significance than a 7750 based Hublot. The Big Bang would be quite a cool watch for $2500 but its one of the biggest rip offs in the industry at $26k.

Hublonium?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh dear....

Can you imagine sporting a 26k watch in a business meeting when someone asks you what it's made of? "It's pure Hublonium." They'll think you're retarded.

It reminds me of Billy Connolly's joke as to why the linoleum industry in Fife went to the wall....no-one could pronounce it when they walked into a store.

"I'd like a Hblimun watch please."

"A what?"

"A watch. Made from Hiblininium."

"A watch made from bubble gum?!"

"No! Hababoonlium!! Pure hbli...oh, fuck it, get me a Swatch..."

Hublonium?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh dear....

Can you imagine sporting a 26k watch in a business meeting when someone asks you what it's made of? "It's pure Hublonium." They'll think you're retarded.

It reminds me of Billy Connolly's joke as to why the linoleum industry in Fife went to the wall....no-one could pronounce it when they walked into a store.

"I'd like a Hblimun watch please."

"A what?"

"A watch. Made from Hiblininium."

"A watch made from bubble gum?!"

"No! Hababoonlium!! Pure hbli...oh, [censored] it, get me a Swatch..."

C'mon guys if Thierry Nataf can have his Zenithium (and real in-house movements BTW), then Mr.B must have something like that. I'm surprised he didn't name it Biverium or something like that :lol:

The price for this piece is really ridiculous, you can have Porto 5001 in platinum with real in-house state-of-the-art movement for that kind of money. And I noticed in TZ threads that some of these guys in their praises for this "new" watch are comparing it with Richard Mille watches based on horological value - now, that is even more ridiculous than the price ...

regards

JCB on the Mag Bang

"The new "in house" concept is based on a 7750, but the ebauche is made in house and in a new magnesium alloy. Together with a "in house" case which is also made in the same alloy."

Watch the term "in house", the definition of 'concept', and the absence of "hublonium" :p

Hublot time zone 'spokesman', a few hours later:

"Mr. Biver apologizes that he was not able to completely control the press release or announcement, which were written by his Public Relations lady, who is not a watchmaker, and does not understand the difference between "movement" and "ebauche." The press release should have said that the ebauche was made in-house. Frankly, after being a watch enthusiast for 30 years, I did not understand the difference until today." ...

Yeah, right. I guess being on the payroll doesn't help either..

"Hublot spent over US$1,000,000 to make the modifications necessary to make the HUB44 in AG5 " no comments.. Is Hublot stock listed? Is the above figure audited? :p

And the good news (ie a hint to save the day):

"As a small hint for the future, you can rest assured that the multi-millions of dollars required to set up an ebauche factory were not spent solely so that Hublot could make ebauches for the 7750 in-house." I am sure this time they will get both the PR and the caliber right.

The watch will have a glorious era but soon will die, because the design is sucked to death.

Funny how nearly everyone has this type of reaction with the HBB, but not the ROO, where there are nearly 20 different versions of the SAME watch or dial.

Because the AP RO at least has a famous designer. The HBB is just a rip off design and a copy. :) I share almost the same reaction with the RO, but they are not doing that aggressive marketing and that extreme milking - Biver drives it to the extremum - can't blame him, he seems to succeed.

I would disagree with the agressive marketing with the AP. Although they are of impeccable quality (and I am guilty of wanting to purchase a ROO Montoya soon) , you can't tell me that they haven't aggressively marketed their watches. Fine if East Coast Jewelry, Westime, and AP Singapore commisioned their own versions, but I see it as milking the LE name when now Shaquille O' Neal has his own Offshore!

shaq.jpg

I agree that this was a direct response

A DIRECT RESPONSE to the quality of the reps being produced..

that along with the controversy of Hub sourcing their polished ceramics from a manufacturer in china :lol: i guess there is some truth to the rumor after all