When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which ETA Movement To Build The Closest Replica to Authentic Sea-Dweller?

allank

Hi All and respected watch experts on the forum:

My name is Allan K. This is my first post after following the articles for years here.

I do not know if this is the place to ask this question. If not, please move this article to its proper section, Admin.

I'm planning to make a Sea-Dweller 16600 replica. Having read the ETA 2836-2 movement is not a good choice to build a Rolex replica, I would like to ask which ETA movement would be the best choice?

Thanks in advance!

Allan

I'm planning to make a Sea-Dweller 16600 replica. Having read the ETA 2836-2 movement is not a good choice to build a Rolex replica, I would like to ask which ETA movement would be the best choice?

2892, but you'd need to get a case that takes a 2892 unmodified or you'd need to rework a case, a lot.

Your best bet is to wait a short while for the new Seadweller rep.

yes!!! Pug is correct

the new sea-dweller rep that we are all waiting for comes with the ETA 2892 that makes for the correct higher crown position! These same reps will also be available with a used gen rolex 1570cal movement for about $2500. They are available now but the first run has some major flaws. Incorrect dial being the biggest issue. Hopefully the one from ANgus is better. It should be out anytime now

ANyone have any updates on this?

Lonnie

yes!!! Pug is correct

the new sea-dweller rep that we are all waiting for comes with the ETA 2892 that makes for the correct higher crown position! These same reps will also be available with a used gen rolex 1570cal movement for about $2500. They are available now but the first run has some major flaws. Incorrect dial being the biggest issue. Hopefully the one from ANgus is better. It should be out anytime now

ANyone have any updates on this?

Lonnie

Thanks a lot for answering. This piece of information is very valuable for us.

So, if I put an ETA 2892-A2, the case will have the identical rehaut depth and the correct crown/stem position? This is the only important key factor I'm still trying to figure out as the rest cosmetic issues are easy for us to handle.

Please confirm. I will appreciate your help.

By the way, this is really an amazing place! I learnt a lot here.

Allan

Hi All and respected watch experts on the forum:

My name is Allan K. This is my first post after following the articles for years here.

I do not know if this is the place to ask this question. If not, please move this article to its proper section, Admin.

Thanks in advance!

Allan

Rolex uses their own, proprietary movements.

However, an ETA 2824-2 will work fine and replicate their movement in every way that you need it.

Good luck....BTW...These are available from the trusted dealers on the forum already built up.

--Doc