When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

This is what i sent for mods

lazarini

Hi all.

We have a 1665 DRSD that is going for a full mod job and also swapin the dial with GW .

Second we have my unlucky Day Date that is with luck gonna be changed to DJ with a gen silver stick dial and become a bit of a franken ....

Here is the picture of the package that has been sent of today , ill keep u updated with job progresion , what has been done , trying to share with other members who are thinking of modding there watches the transformation as it happens .

Ill ask the modder to jump in with comments of his own . Lets say its an attempt of a small mod diary .

Comments question are welcome as always guys :)

03102007069.jpg

regards laz

Hello all ...

the first feedback is back ...

Lets strat with the SD ...

the watch seams to be fine and one of the latest 1665 Mbw models , one thing that was noticed and reported is that the tube hole is much smaller then on the older cases there fore will need to be drilled to accomodate the gentube/crown combo ...

Also this watch came with a modern caseback i went back to check the watches caseback from the seller and i realised its featured with the old style case ... im send him a small mote asking why this is the case with my 1665 ... i mean its not a big deal but then u shoud get what u bought right :)

One thing on this watch is also that it has upgraded end links i mean they look much more gen. then the ones that originaly came on my 1680 mbw and reseble my now gen 501b links ... the downside do is that they dont fit gen springbars so looks like back to square one ...

ATM CG's are reshaped, Lugholes drilled, but not polished next driling the hole to right dimmension to fit the gen tube and crown ...

here are some pics of the work in progress ...

IMGP3763.jpg

IMGP3762.jpg

IMGP3761.jpg

IMGP3759.jpg

IMGP3757.jpg

Now for not so nice news the Day Date to DJ franken piece .

Ater opening the case and instaling the dial we hit the wall the gen dial is 1mm smaller then the case ! :(

That said next thing is the markers are to high there fore the minute hand is touchin them ...

The solution that is beeing discussed now is instalment of the tension ring to make it sit on the movement also probabaly slight bending of the hand in order to avoid touching the markers ... thats said we still have a too small dial in the end .

Now callin all DJ frankemasters ot there if anyone is reading is this making sence to persue and if so what is needed to be done to make this happen all ideas are welcomed ...

here are pics small but the 1mm is visible there take a look ...

IMGP3755.jpg

IMGP3756.jpg

Thats all for now comments gents ...

regards Laz

Hi S.

yes indeed im really keepin my fingers crossed for that DJ and that we will find some solution ... there are losta DJ builders around im sure someone will jump in with some ideas .

Regarding the SD it was an DRSD originaly but i purchased another GW dial with the watch as i was not sure about the RED part on the dial ...

I was right i much more prefer the GW dial look and decided to swap it out with DRSD one ...

Regarding the case back on the picture from the seller it looked like this :

cropedback.jpg

if u compare it to the picture of mine in my previous post thats not te same one im just wondering why ... not that it bothers me that much but just wanna understand why mine did not came as the one pictured here :)

regards laz

Laz... unfortunatly I can spot the 1 mm. in the DJ dial... how can it be possible? probably you have an old case with a modern dial... the dial can be seat in a ring on the movement (you must build the ring) but the 1 mm. will always be seen. The canon pinion of the minute hand (and probably the seconds hand also) might be changed to a toller one (I've had to do it many times).

If I would be you, I will sell the new dial and buy an old one, according to the case ref. and age.

Hi V.

the case is a rep case so i dont know what reference it is as i did not check between lugs ... lesson is i did not do my homework on this and thought this is a modern case there fore got a modern dial ...

I thought that the modern case comes with cristal and the vintage was plexi ... there fore automaticaly assumed its modern case ...

regards laz

That is one of the biggest problems with Rolex watches--whether you are servicing a gen or building a franken--there are so many variations between (and within) model lines that you really do need to do your homework before embarking on the work. Like they say, 'Measure twice, cut once.'

At first, when I was trying to build a frankenjust, I was using rep cases and both times, the gen dial was too small. I got a couple of gen cases from Roling on ebay- 16013 and 16014 and the problem went away. The 16000 series DJ's w/ plastic crystal take a 2836-2 movt. Later 16200 series DJ's take a 2824-2 movt.

At first, when I was trying to build a frankenjust, I was using rep cases and both times, the gen dial was too small. I got a couple of gen cases from Roling on ebay- 16013 and 16014 and the problem went away. The 16000 series DJ's w/ plastic crystal take a 2836-2 movt. Later 16200 series DJ's take a 2824-2 movt.

That's the way... gen case, gen dial... Laz, if you have a modern dial buy a moder case from Roling on eBay... 16200 it's the one. But nothing less than 200 USD unless you are extremely lucky!

Oka im in the middle of negotiation for a 16200 gen DJ case that most of the mebers here sugested (thx for the input guys)

i found an actual gen piece that has the same silver gen dial that i purchased instaled the end piece with the case im looking to get shoud look like this :

dj5.jpg

comments gents ... i think it looks smashing !

regards laz