When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wow! I think I'm gonna start building DRSD's

alligoat

I just ran across this eBay auction for a DRSD- amazing price

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLEX-SEA-DWELLER-1665...1QQcmdZViewItem

refinished dial,

replacement case,

replacement bezel

no bracelet

ugly crown

And the biddings up to $12K US!

I was looking at building a jewelry and watch DRSD for $2800 today- leaves a damn fine profit margin for a weeks work!

Alli, you ain't kidding!! It is up to $13,6k now and climbing. Not only is this clown ripping bidders off, but he is doing it with a very mediocre franken. Most of our stuff at least looks like the real thing...

_________

UPDATE: I misread the dollar amount (the conversion rate comes to $13.6k in Australian dollars). Still, I can see why people have bid on this thing. He has an extensive sales history. Only trouble is that the previous sales are not watch-related (mostly batteries). Caveat Emptor!!

Yep pretty much a franken. They are just being sneaky in the listing. There are no pics of the movement so it may not even be a 1570 in there... definatly NOT worth anywhere near $12,000. might be worth $500 or $1500 if theres actually a 1570cal movement in there. seems like he mostly sells camcorder batteries and he has one or two watches in his ebay store.. one being a datejust with a cyclops thats not even close to being in the right spot and the dial looks weird to me. the spacing around the 4 and 5 o'clock markers looks off. might just be the pic but the cyclops is definatly in the wrong place.

I just reported this auction becasue someone is getting fukked for $12k here and thats a LOT of money to pay for a replica.

I don't get it... sorry for a nooby question, but, refenished dial, replacement case & replacement bezel... does this qualify as a franken with a gen movement???

I'm with you Lonnie, I reported it also. The more I looked at it, the more it stunk. Like you say, we don't even know if it has a Rolex movt in there. And I agree w/ Bytor, an MBW bezel insert, could even have an MBW case w/ fake HE valve. Really way out of line for a weak Franken- if it is even a Franken.

If it is an MBW case, it is not the correct one for that model. The profile is too narrow & too pointy for a 'dweller. It looks more like a generic rep Sub case than an MBW. That along with the NDtrading dial, off-center date & the ubiquitous rep Triplock crown should be immediate, dead give-aways.

However you look at this, it's not much more than rep 1665 with a $150 redial and supposedly a $750-900 c.1570 movt (no pics mind, hmmm). I doubt that caseback is one you'd receive. Whatever, the seller is trying to scam people, starting the bidding at over $3000. :angry2:

Reported, although I suspect those bids are shills. Either that or VERY stupid people.

well hopefully... even tho the auction may end before they pull it.. the unlucky buyer may have some recourse if they investigate and find out its a fake from the reports we sent... hopefully the buyer uses paypal for safety.

However you look at this, it's not much more than rep 1665 with a $150 redial and supposedly a $750-900 c.1570 movt (no pics mind, hmmm). I doubt that caseback is one you'd receive. Whatever, the seller is trying to scam people, starting the bidding at over $3000. :angry2:

Reported, although I suspect those bids are shills. Either that or VERY stupid people.

The caseback, though has a very well aged "look"... is still a rep caseback as far as I can tell...

Actually, he is not really breaking any ebay rules & has covered himself pretty well, legally speaking. In his description, everything (except the movement) is stated as being a 'replacement', so that lets him off the hook for being accused of trying to mislead or rip bidders off. Certainly, many bidders will assume (out of ignorance or greed) that replacement means genuine Rolex replacement, which is obviously what he is banking on. But the only real problem he could run into is if the watch is found to contain something other than a Rolex 1575 calibre. But I doubt that ebay will check. And because of all the recent media publicity about the collectability & exclusivity of vintage Rolexes, there are alot of nouveau riche entering the market with more money than sense and such a bidder may toss his new trophy onto his wrist before getting it appraised.

The only thing that I would think, freddy, is that GAF (Rolex's counsel) would close this down since Rolex themselves would never condone something like this. But then again, maybe the patents have expired and of course, I'm not a lawyer. I'm just befuddled because the bidding has gone so high.

Alli -- You may be right as far as trademark infringement goes. But there have been so many suits and counter-suits over an owner's ability to use Rolex parts in other watches (as long as the watch is not sold as being a 'genuine Rolex watch') that I guess it could go either way. I just question whether this guy is breaking any of ebay's rules since he declared, albeit in a questionable manner, that the watch consists of mostly non-Rolex ('replacement') parts.

There have been so many of these types of reps for sale over the years that I am sure ebay has a set policy for dealing with them. And since the auction has not been taken down after our complaints were registered, my guess is that the seller did not break any of ebay's rules. Of course, Rolex may yet bring another suit against ebay over the matter, but those things take time and the watch may have been sold (assuming any of the bidders are real) by then.