When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Should i buy a rolex?

ajoesmith

I like the rolex styling, i do BUT...

I have had a MBW Great White and liked it but it didnt get any wrist time so i sold it. I also had a Submariner and also didnt get wrist time, so i sold it. Ironically when i was younger, yes younger around 18 years old i had a cheap and nasty blue dial sub and wore it everyday, now rollies dont get wrist time.

Well i have always liked the styling of the Milgauss 1019. I was thinking of getting it and do a washing machine job on it to make it look vintage.

Or maybe on e of the vintage rollies the 5517 maybe and also doing the washing machine job.

What do you think?

Joe, both great watches but the Milgauss and 5517 are as rare as hens teeth and fetch a princely sum. The 5517 requires mods specially to the CGs. If you're comfortable wearing watches of such rarity, go for it. :p

The MBW 5513 might also be an option but again, one can't help but mod this watch. It is not a rare model (as is the 5517) that a collector would keep under lock and key and rarely wear.

You might also look at the vintage Explorer or the current 14270 which IMO, do not scream rlx. The latter is specially accurate.

Cheers!

Joe, both great watches but the Milgauss and 5517 are as rare as hens teeth and fetch a princely sum. The 5517 requires mods specially to the CGs. If you're comfortable wearing watches of such rarity, go for it. :p

The MBW 5513 might also be an option but again, one can't help but mod this watch. It is not a rare model (as is the 5517) that a collector would keep under lock and key and rarely wear.

You might also look at the vintage Explorer or the current 14270 which IMO, do not scream rlx. The latter is specially accurate.

Cheers!

You mean this one?

1.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
What do you think?

Go for it. Tastes evolve, and I'm beginning to think they are practically cyclical. I also started with Rolexes, and after swearing I'd never buy even a rep of one, there I am, back in Rolex mode.

I don't suggest you buy the ones you've had and never wore. That Milgauss is a wonderful. If you can afford it, I think your character will accept it this time. :)

That is the one i am after, but i have been quoted 280 dollars for it.. anyone care to shoot me a PM for a cheaper version, only one i have seen is from Andrew.

I bought the "Top Grade Vintage" ETA 1655 model from Andrew. It came on a diver's strap, and had next to no date mag. I was not that impressed. To be fair, Andrew sent a replacement strap at no cost to me which I thought was excellent service. After all these are only "reps". The date mag is an issue that all of these 1655's seem to suffer from, they seem to be poor to say the least. I have fixed this issue on mine by fitting an OEM acryllic crystal from Cousins (only

Edit... Oh yes, and I have made a replacement date wheel overlay, you know the one with the "flat topped threes". I used autocad to create a vector image of the date wheel, and then just printed it onto a self adhesive (purists look away now) envelope label. Just stuck it over the original overay. Cheap (believable from a disance) fix. Go for it get a 1655 and mod it to within and inch of its life. GREAT FUN !!!!

No offense to any of the team who produced it, but that was essentially what the Watchmeister datewheel overlay was. You could probably also print it on a matte compact disc or DVD label.