When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Brief Encounter

Victoria

Yeah, I am quite convinced that only Panerai wearing people take compliments well. Its possible he was a rich snob with no concern for what he was wearing on his wrist.

I know hundreds of those guys. They usually all wear Rolex.

No, a guy who wears a SPECIFIC kind of IWC (not the more "covettable" 3717 chrono, either) is at least half-way aware of what he is buying, IMO. :)

@Ape: I did think he might've been wearing a Rep later. But I dunno. I think not. Mind you, anyone looking at me I KNOW would never think what I'm wearing is a rep, unless it's one of those gaudy gold Rolexes. Hehe.

No, a guy who wears a SPECIFIC kind of IWC (not the more "covettable" 3717 chrono, either) is at least half-way aware of what he is buying, IMO. :)

A Germanic fellow wearing a Luftwaffe watch being offended by a British lady tapping his sapphire? Tell me it's not true! ;)

You keep mentioning it's a very specific watch without going in to the specifics. The Big Pilot is based on a military design and therefore can, like the Panerai vintages, carry a lot of history, not all of which is happy and joyful.

A Germanic fellow wearing a Luftwaffe watch being offended by a British lady tapping his sapphire? Tell me it's not true! ;)

You keep mentioning it's a very specific watch without going in to the specifics. The Big Pilot is based on a military design and therefore can, like the Panerai vintages, carry a lot of history, not all of which is happy and joyful.

Wait, so he's a German Norwegian, possibly rich gay Nazi?? :lol: :lol:

(Poor thing, you know, some guy out there who had the briefest of encounters with a British girl in Lincoln Road Mall will never know he sparked such a convo about him. I almost wish he were a rep watch owner. We'd stand a decent chance of seeing him here!

And no funny business, guys. Some made-up ID like "Lars von Himmler" telling his side of the story isn't going to cut it. I'll just ask you what I was wearing and shame you if you lie! :lol: )

Fact - it requires a certain amount of sacrifice and selfish committment to make consultant/attending neurosurgeon (a highly competitive field), and in general women have other qualities, interests and goals (both professional and personal) that conflict with this and preclude the majority from attempting to challenge self-perpetuating myths and break down perceived but non-existent barriers.

Please give your sister my best wishes - if she's good enough she'll make it. However something she should bear in mind - as one of my first mentors so eloquently put it, to make the grade "it's like climbing a huge pile of stinking sh*t atop of which is placed a beautiful rose. To reach it, you have to climb over others, even tread them into the sh*t if needs be to reach the prize. Only trouble is, if you're lucky enough to make it, by the time you reach the summit, you've lost your sense of smell..."

This is true. According to her, there are some males (classmates) who resent her, and others who support her. She says that in a general context, since she says that she finds there is more opposition than she has experienced in the past. I suppose it's like that in any walk of life, however.

Doc, thanks for the well wishes and the advice, I will be sure to pass it on to her, it is a great metaphor! Needless to say, she is extremely intelligent (albeit ditzy at times about practical matters), and I have come across few people in my life that are capable of her level of dedication and commitment to a goal, even to the neglect of other things. Ironically, she says the same about me.

"German Norwegian, possibly rich gay Nazi". :lol: Any more superlatives that we can pin on this rather aloof individual to make him any more comical?

Tell that to Heidi Klum (the future Mrs Doc :D)

Did Kelster really say that? Brit + German no go together?

Someone tell my parents!! A 6'4" British dude and a 5'2" German gal produced a crazy watch obsessed kid, FYI! :lol:

And yeah, sure, DBR. You know I'm the only model you want. Got the PAM already.

Did Kelster really say that? Brit + German no go together?

Someone tell my parents!! A 6'4" British dude and a 5'2" German gal produced a crazy watch obsessed kid, FYI! :lol:

:D thats funny :D

there must something swiss in your family too with all that watches ...