When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Brief Encounter

Victoria

So, there I was today. Waiting for a table at a trendy restaurant in Lincoln Road Mall, when I spied a tall, blond dude to my side, all alone.

When the hostess asked who was waiting for a single table, he and I both went "Me/I am!", raising our hands reflexively to indicate a number 1. Being right-handed, I did so with my right. But he was left-handed.

Curiously, he was wearing a watch on his left wrist, which is unusual for a southpaw.

And when he raised his hand, what did I see but this:

iwc5004015872ye0.jpg

The IWC Classic Big Pilot, 5004, I believe - yes?

GORGEOUS.

On a custom-made brown pilot strap.

Being a flirtatious little thing, I flashed my pearly whites, and actually tapped the crystal (gen sapphire for sure), and said, "Nice IWC". Big saucy smile.

You know what he said?

Without a hint of a reciprocal smile, "Thanks", in a heavy Teutonic accent. Silence.

Didn't even ask about my Franck Muller Crazy Hours, lying so bodaciously on my dainty wrist.

Crashed and burned. Ouch.

So, there I was today. Waiting for a table at a trendy restaurant in Lincoln Road Mall, when I spied a tall, blond dude to my side, all alone.

When the hostess asked who was waiting for a single table, he and I both went "Me/I am!", raising our hands reflexively to indicate a number 1. Being right-handed, I did so with my right. But he was left-handed.

Curiously, he was wearing a watch on his left wrist, which is unusual for a southpaw.

And when he raised his hand, what did I see but this:

iwc5004015872ye0.jpg

The IWC Classic Big Pilot, 5004, I believe - yes?

GORGEOUS.

On a custom-made brown pilot strap.

Being a flirtatious little thing, I flashed my pearly whites, and actually tapped the crystal (gen sapphire for sure), and said, "Nice IWC". Big saucy smile.

You know what he said?

Without a hint of a reciprocal smile, "Thanks", in a heavy Teutonic accent. Silence.

Didn't even ask about my Franck Muller Crazy Hours, lying so bodaciously on my dainty wrist.

Crashed and burned. Ouch.

Please dont take this wrong way but if a stranger reached out and 'tapped my watch crystal', i would be quite annoyed

Please dont take this wrong way but if a stranger reached out and 'tapped my watch crystal', i would be quite annoyed

I know! I don't know what came over me, Ajoesmith. I'm not a handsy person at the best of times, either.

I'm guessing it was a combination of being somewhat excited at having someone near me with a Big Pilot, in that specific situation, and his being somewhat handsome in sort of a Norwegian way. :)

Now that I am HYPER aware of watches, as I wasn't before, it's all a bit clumsy for me. Like a 4th former writing "Mrs. Ajoesmith" on her notebook, over and over.

@Ratchpot: LOL! Cleavage?

Reminds me of a time I was at a gas station in South Florida and a man in Ferrari was next to me, I said wow cool car (I was driving a volvo rental car). He was the same style as the South Beach dude, "yeah thanks" and thats it....

Norwegian style is more reserved that average American. Who knows maybe he thought it was shallow that the first thing you noticed is the brand name of his watch (unlikely in an area like south beach where everyone seems to be showing off something)...or maybe he's a just a jerk. I noticed in that some wealthy people there is a tendency to not want to be bothered at all, some are just aloof.

I bet some of the people who have a reps of that watch actually appreciate the design of it more than snobs like that tourist who can afford the genuine.

Reminds me of a time I was at a gas station in South Florida and a man in Ferrari was next to me, I said wow cool car (I was driving a volvo rental car). He was the same style as the South Beach dude, "yeah thanks" and thats it....

Norwegian style is more reserved that average American. Who knows maybe he thought it was shallow that the first thing you noticed is the brand name of his watch (unlikely in an area like south beach where everyone seems to be showing off something)...or maybe he's a just a jerk. I noticed in that some wealthy people there is a tendency to not want to be bothered at all, some are just aloof.

I bet some of the people who have a reps of that watch actually appreciate the design of it more than snobs like that tourist who can afford the genuine.

Or, World Traveller, as I later reflected, he was one of those people who are just not quick on their feet. You know how it is.

When you have a a good personality, even if you're not fluent in the language, you just radiate it, even with a smile or a wink.

But to give him the benefit of the doubt, I'll go with Ajoesmith's suggestion of his being taken aback at my gesture. Had I been a guy, he might've decked me. :)

Amusing tale :D

Couple of things though.

One, incidental but not all lefties wear destro's or sport on their right wrists ;)

Two, I must admit I'm not the best when it comes to receiving compliments....about anything. My reserved Anglo/Celtic ways probably. However, if it's female and attractive, then my reliably-effective self-depreciating charm kicks in, easy as drawing breath, and I'll steer the conversation elsewhere.

Three, Norwegian is not a Teutonic accent. Not even close.

So, considering all the evidence then......combine his obvious lack of humour and not even the slightest sexual response when it came to a strange Bridget-Jones-type gauche/clumsy Englishwoman trying to steal his reservation, whilst grinning at him like a lunatic and tapping his watch (oh dear) with a long, red, manicured talon, and it is not difficult to reach the obvious conclusion that he was German and/or gay.

Elementary my dear Barrett - just keep telling yourself that "German and/or gay", over and over again if necessary, until you start to actually believe it ;)

I'm guessing it was a combination of being somewhat excited at having someone near me with a Big Pilot, in that specific situation
Well zere vee 'ave it in unt nutshell, Doctor Freud :lol:

Not all of us Germanic tow-heads are gay, even if we choose to wear pearls on occasion... and no, not those big, fake ass "shell-pearls" the party boys wear down Miami way...

VB, you can tap my crystals any time, and you may even get a chance to see some of my movements.

Whenever I encounter someone sporting a nice watch I want to walk up and compliment them. I've done it once or twice and gotten a bewildered but polite thank you, with no encouragement to begin a conversation.

I guess it's because I see so few people wearing decent watches in public that when i see someone I get excited, so I can understand Vic's behavior.

So, considering all the evidence then......combine his obvious lack of humour and not even the slightest sexual response when it came to a strange Bridget-Jones-type gauche/clumsy Englishwoman trying to steal his reservation, whilst grinning at him like a lunatic and tapping his watch (oh dear) with a long, red, manicured talon, and it is not difficult to reach the obvious conclusion that he was German and/or gay.

:lol: classic stuff doc. and a good story vic; i always love seeing nice watches out in public. as much as we drool over watches here, we are definitely hypersensitive to the subject...

Oh, God, how this made me laugh. Talons! So true.

Elementary my dear Barrett - just keep telling yourself that "German and/or gay", over and over again if necessary, until you start to actually believe it ;)

He wasn't gay. Women have good gaydars. ;)

If I had to place him, I'd say North German. You know, Hamburgers are very socially awkward. No offence to you, Rolli, but post-War Germans have no "esprit" in social situations. It's like it's been dinned out of them, or something.

Well zere vee 'ave it in unt nutshell, Doctor Freud :lol:

Yes! Alas. :p

Whenever I encounter someone sporting a nice watch I want to walk up and compliment them. I've done it once or twice and gotten a bewildered but polite thank you, with no encouragement to begin a conversation.

HMM. You know, who mentioned that rich(er) people tend to be standoffish about such compliments? They could be right, because all my life, I always have complimented people on their jewelry or watches, to break the social ice.

Not just the richies, but waiters, fast food drive-thru' attendants, porters, etc.

They excitedly say, "THANKS!", and you can see it is genuine, as my compliments certainly always are (I don't say it, just to say). Often, they tell me where they got their watch, the ring, the bracelet, or that they have other pieces at home, yadda yadda.

But with a "high-end" watch-wearing person, this is the case -- it doesn't spark any kind of convo about it, although I do get nicer smiles than Mr. Tourist gave me.

Maybe they think we're being competitive?

I guess it's because I see so few people wearing decent watches in public that when i see someone I get excited, so I can understand Vic's behavior.

Thanks, Rima! I knew you would understand. :)

He wasn't gay. Women have good gaydars. ;)
You think so? OK then, taking North German social mores out of the equation, which precise bit of the pushy Bridget Jones, crazed grinning, overly familiar watch-tapping behaviour do you think turned him off the thought of entering into further intercourse with you??? :g:

Let me know if you want a clue :whistling:

HMM. You know, who mentioned that rich(er) people tend to be standoffish about such compliments? They could be right, because all my life, I always have complimented people on their jewelry or watches, to break the social ice.

I must admit I'm not the best when it comes to receiving compliments....about anything. My reserved Anglo/Celtic ways probably.

:unsure:

Funny encounter. Personally, if I was wearing a BP and a very elegantly dressed, classy, attractive young woman wearing a nice watch paid me a compliment, I would be caught off guard for a second or two, but would have already processed the situation by the time the reflexive "thanks" was said. I would then proceed to be cordial, compliment her on her watch and appearance, and strike up a convo about watches, etc.

On the other hand, if a woman who was trashy/slutty/gaudy/tasteless in appearence and/or personality/conduct, the reflexive "thanks" would ensue, but that's where the convo would end, irrespective of the watch she might have been wearing. In my eyes, a compliment on my watch coming from a woman like that carries opportunism (golddigging) with it. Perhaps I am oversensitive, but I think I would be hard pressed to find any male who wholeheartedly disagrees with this statement. I should also add that the above qualifications do not include a woman who happens to be casually dressed, so long as she carries herself with a suitable air of elegance and class.

That said, if a man compliments me on a watch, I still do cater my reaction a little bit based on overall impressions, but I am generally non-judgmental when it comes to receiving a compliment from a dude. It has been my experience that a man will usually only offer a compliment on a watch if he is relatively versed or interested in horology, particularly if he recognizes or is curious about the make. Call me sexist, but I simply feel that guys have little or no underlying motives when paying a compliment on a watch, whereas women are more likely to have some underlying motives.

Funny encounter. Personally, if I was wearing a BP and a very elegantly dressed, classy, attractive young woman wearing a nice watch paid me a compliment, I would be caught off guard for a second or two, but would have already processed the situation by the time the reflexive "thanks" was said. I would then proceed to be cordial, compliment her on her watch and appearance, and strike up a convo about watches, etc.

I am always nicely dressed. And by nicely, I mean, well-dressed in a relaxed manner, never overdressed yet always in fashion. One thing though, I haven't put on a pair of jeans in 10 years -- they don't suit me and my ex-runner's thighs. :)

There are some people, regardless of money, position, or even personality, who just project a certain something. And I'm vain and arrogant enough to tell you that I'm one of them. I think the most accurate thing anyone has ever called me is "regal"...less kind people usually say "frosty" or "standoffish", depending on their degree of dislike. I'm just reserved, but beneath that distant layer lies a very approachable, even tender person.

So, that puppy Bridget Jones attitude ascribed me is not the case. What is the case is that I was too forward, too soon, about an unusual topic such as watch appreciation to a total stranger, and a foreigner to boot.

Too many cultural signals were crossed. :lol:

On the other hand, if a woman who was trashy/slutty/gaudy/tasteless in appearence and/or personality/conduct, the reflexive "thanks" would ensue, but that's where the convo would end, irrespective of the watch she might have been wearing. In my eyes, a compliment on my watch coming from a woman like that carries opportunism (golddigging) with it. Perhaps I am oversensitive, but I think I would be hard pressed to find any male who wholeheartedly disagrees with this statement. I should also add that the above qualifications do not include a woman who happens to be casually dressed, so long as she carries herself with a suitable air of elegance and class.

Wow, interesting!

Poor white trash girls, eh? I've never met a gold-digger in my life, from either side of the track, but then, I'm usually not the target of that side of their personality. :)

That said, if a man compliments me on a watch, I still do cater my reaction a little bit based on overall impressions, but I am generally non-judgmental when it comes to receiving a compliment from a dude. It has been my experience that a man will usually only offer a compliment on a watch if he is relatively versed or interested in horology, particularly if he recognizes or is curious about the make. Call me sexist, but I simply feel that guys have little or no underlying motives when paying a compliment on a watch, whereas women are more likely to have some underlying motives.

Whoa. :)

But hey, thanks for the frankness! It doesn't diminish you in my eyes, Defacto. It just makes me see that there are all kinds of viewpoints in this world, even ones which didn't occur to one.

P.S.: I'll give my typical 70s liberal parents this -- they never raised me with one ounce of preconceived ideas about people, including about what boys and girls should like. In one way this is very bad, because I lack utterly any kind of street smarts. But also, they didn't tell me that certain things are in the "male" or "female" spheres. Whatever enthusiasm I had, they thought was great and encouraged me.

Hence, my love of guns, militaria, pens, watches, sport as well as my love of fashion, stuffed animals and dolls, jewelry, and handbags.

Sucks. :)

There are some people, regardless of money, position, or even personality, who just project a certain something. And I'm vain and arrogant enough to tell you that I'm one of them. I think the most accurate thing anyone has ever called me is "regal"...less kind people usually say "frosty" or "standoffish", depending on their degree of dislike. I'm just reserved, but beneath that distant layer lies a very approachable, even tender person.

Precisely. I think my statements may have come off a bit coarse. That je ne sais quoi that we were both referring to transcends wealth, social stature, origins, etc. There are plenty of people of very, very modest means who project that air of refinement and sophistication that others couldn't hope to attain, even with the help of experts. I know plenty of people of great means who do not posses this elegance, this je ne sais quoi. They could not buy, nor rent it. I am fortunate enough (well, depending on one's perspective...I think I was fortunate :lol:) to have the je ne sais quoi, a master of distinction, elegance, confidence, and refinement, who remains extremely approachable, sensitive and at ease with himself and others. Others may think that I'm a loony who takes himself way too seriously. Thus far, nobody has ever called me that (well, to my face!). My current girlfriend, as well as my mother both came from very modest means. Both posses all of these traits.

Therefore, I think I should clarify...my initial statement pertained more to how a woman carries and presents herself, however, the main factor is the manner in which she compliments me. If a woman says "wow, your watch is stunning, is that a breguet?" when I'm wearing one of my benzingers (they are the most frequently complimented pieces in my lineup, and both are always mistaken for Breguets, which is totally understandable), she could be wearing a floral print moo-moo...I'm going to strike up a convo, simply because it was a genuine comment from someone who appreciates horology, not someone who appreciates the financial means needed to afford such trappings...I may be a bit shallow in certain respects, but I'm not THAT shallow! Regrettably, I have yet to run across a woman wearing a moo-moo compliment me on my watches...my life would be a little bit more fulfilled having had that experience. :lol: However, with someone like that, I'm not going to lie...it is much more of a "guilty until proven innocent" mentality, whereas a woman with the je ne sais quoi will get the "innocent until proven guilty" treatment. Not to mention the Paris Hilton types...they might as well be on death row in my book, I flatly refuse to interact with such types unless someone I know and trust can vouch for her legitimacy.

Wow, interesting!

Poor white trash girls, eh? I've never met a gold-digger in my life, from either side of the track, but then, I'm usually not the target of that side of their personality. :)

Again, as I said above, wealth has nothing to do with it. There are plenty of women with money who are startlingly trashy. For what it's worth, I've never met a trashy woman of great means who earned said means on her own. I've met classy ones who did it on their own...I've met frumpy ones who did it on their own. I have great respect for women who fit into these categories, and everything in between. However, I have yet to find a trashy one who got it on her own. Like I said above, one cannot buy, nor rent class. Trashy women with money are able to be trashy with more expensive things. It has nothing to do with her means...trash is trash, whether black, white, latino, asian, or any other race one may find on this earth.

Yes, you have met a gold digger; I'd venture to say that you've met many. In some cases, it is sheathed in a polished, refined exterior. In others, it is painfully apparent. In fact, in many of the former cases, money isn't the ONLY appeal to the woman...however, it is certainly of great concern. I have had the misfortune of discovering the painful, painful reality of girlfriends having significant alterior motives (money) in two long-term relationships at a young age. I am now watching this happen to my uncle. I pegged this woman as a gold digger from the start. She is nice, reasonably sophisticated (needed a bit of decoration and fashion coordination sense, but I overlooked that), and capable of holding a halfway decent conversation. I should also mention that she isn't destitute by any means, however, hers and my uncle's respective financial situations are in two different galaxies. However, the fact that she is a raging liberal, yet insisted on getting engaged before moving in with my uncle struck me as suspect. The fact that she flatly refused to sign the pre-nup, and has refused to see him until he PROMISES to not make her sign a pre-nup, really made her true colors shine through. Pretty sad. If money hadn't been her primary concern, she wouldn't have been half bad for him. I can't begin to recount the other blatant examples of gold digging opportunism that I have personally experienced. It makes the prospect of finding someone really daunting.

P.S.: I'll give my typical 70s liberal parents this -- they never raised me with one ounce of preconceived ideas about people, including about what boys and girls should like. In one way this is very bad, because I lack utterly any kind of street smarts. But also, they didn't tell me that certain things are in the "male" or "female" spheres. Whatever enthusiasm I had, they thought was great and encouraged me.

Hence, my love of guns, militaria, pens, watches, sport as well as my love of fashion, stuffed animals and dolls, jewelry, and handbags.

Your parents raised you properly. My parents raised me and my sister in the same fashion. My sister is a pretty gifted and accomplished artist...yet she majored in biochem at UPenn, and is currently at med school studying to become a neurosurgeon. Art is a socially acceptable field for women. However, society still relegates most science and medical related subjects as male domains. Needless to say, it didn't stop her; it only inspired her to be the best, and to stand out the most. The vast range of interests/passions that my sister and I have are a testament to this. My opinions on golddiggers, however, comes strictly from experience. Not to mention the fact that my mother and sister both share even stronger views on such individuals, and are my primary screening resource. t

My sister is a pretty gifted and accomplished artist...yet she majored in biochem at UPenn, and is currently at med school studying to become a neurosurgeon. Art is a socially acceptable field for women. However, society still relegates most science and medical related subjects as male domains. Needless to say, it didn't stop her; it only inspired her to be the best, and to stand out the most.

Interesting. I disagree about the 'society' bit. Apologies for venturing WAY off topic but....

Fact - my year's intake at medical school was majority female 55% vs. 45% male.

Fact - trend has continued by all accounts over last 10-15 years, hitting 60% in some schools.

Fact - fast foward approx 10 years from entry and FRCS membership (surgeon exam/registration) comes out at 75-80% male. :huh:

Fact - female neurosurgeons? Hens' teeth, I know of only two senior/prominent ones in the entire UK.

Fact - female neurologists? relatively more common, but still...

Assumption/myth - there is some societal-imposed sexist barrier to women reaching these positions, the old boy/school tie network still rules the profession, more than most in neurosurgery; etc. etc. Hmmm :g:

Fact - it requires a certain amount of sacrifice and selfish committment to make consultant/attending neurosurgeon (a highly competitive field), and in general women have other qualities, interests and goals (both professional and personal) that conflict with this and preclude the majority from attempting to challenge self-perpetuating myths and break down perceived but non-existent barriers.

Please give your sister my best wishes - if she's good enough she'll make it. However something she should bear in mind - as one of my first mentors so eloquently put it, to make the grade "it's like climbing a huge pile of stinking sh*t atop of which is placed a beautiful rose. To reach it, you have to climb over others, even tread them into the sh*t if needs be to reach the prize. Only trouble is, if you're lucky enough to make it, by the time you reach the summit, you've lost your sense of smell..."

Guest carlsbadrolex

Yeah, I am quite convinced that only Panerai wearing people take compliments well. Its possible he was a rich snob with no concern for what he was wearing on his wrist.