When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Did Not Know That

Victoria

Remember our TeeJay recently said I should get an UV LED torch/flashlight, the better to get the brightest lume on my PAMs?

Check it! :lol:

uvledfiddydw1.jpg

ledfiddydf5.jpg

Photo #1

UV Led torch (140 "bulbs" strong) brought out a strange pattern, never before seen on my Fiddy using either ambient or artificial light. The hands seem Superluminova'ed and Hulk green, but seemingly the light blue numbers and markers (?!) are not!

Photo #2

LED torch held on the DSN Fiddy for the same length of time, and under the same conditions to take the shot. The green is evenly coloured throughout, with not a hint of blue, and may I say, MUCH brighter than the UV LED torch. Lasts longer too.

Wow.

Is this normal, a fault, or simply chemical properties brought out by one torch, and not the other?

Its a property of the UV paint. It glows as a result of primarily UV exposure rather than visible light. Sunlight does a great job of charging the lume, as it sunlight contains a lot of UV light. Wear a rep in a night club with a UV light and you'll be able to read it from across the room.

Wow, those are really varied results... Out of curiousity, for the first shot, was the lume still being exposed to the UV light? Was it a UV bulb used to reveal 'invisible' security markers, or was it a definite 'black light' bulb (not sure what, if any difference there is, but bear with me...) When I used a 'UV Revealing' bulb, I got a powerfull green effect, as shown previously. If, however, I put a watch near a 'black light' bulb, (like in a novelty shop) then I had the same blue/green result as you saw, but, it only lasted while the lumes were directly bathed in the 'black light', once they were back in normal light, they just had the strong green glow... Very interesting results indeed :) You might like my new wrist shot which I'm about to post ;)

I too noticed the "black light" effect. While at Disney World last week with the family I had a few watches in rotation. A lot of rides there use black light inside their displays and such. My watches glowed the best I've ever seen them, while under the black light. My BCE the hands were much greener than the markers, I suppose indicating more lume applied to those areas.

Very interesting.

Wow, those are really varied results... Out of curiousity, for the first shot, was the lume still being exposed to the UV light?

No, not at all. :)

I went to the en suite toilet, which has no window, and shone the torch for about 1 minute. Turned off the torch, and took a quick photo in complete darkness. Same procedure with the bottom photo.

Was it a UV bulb used to reveal 'invisible' security markers, or was it a definite 'black light' bulb (not sure what, if any difference there is, but bear with me...)

Let me try to show you a photo of the torch I bought (on eBay). What you wrote is a bit too techy for me. :)

EDIT: Oops, not 140 UV lightbulbs. Just 41!

"UV 41 LEDs light burn life of around 100000 hours

2 modes of operation: Press on/off button ONCE - 21 LED mode / Press on/off button TWICE - 41 LED mode

Aluminium body

Ideal as a pocket flashlight

Can act as money detector

Twist for constant on/off

Powered by 4 x AAA batteries (not included)

Size: 143 x 53mm"

I used mode number 2, the one with the most lightbulbs.

Looks exactly like this:

PICT0986.JPG

When I used a 'UV Revealing' bulb, I got a powerfull green effect, as shown previously. If, however, I put a watch near a 'black light' bulb, (like in a novelty shop) then I had the same blue/green result as you saw, but, it only lasted while the lumes were directly bathed in the 'black light', once they were back in normal light, they just had the strong green glow... Very interesting results indeed :) You might like my new wrist shot which I'm about to post ;)

Hmm! Interesting interesting, indeed.

And yes, I saw your wonderful Fiddy. GORGEOUS! Shame it has to go back, but there you are. The usual rep watch owner merry-go-round. :mellow:

@All who replied with info: THANKS! I begin to understand why the variations occured. Any more first-hand info would be lovely.

No, not at all. :)

I went to the en suite toilet, which has no window, and shone the torch for about 1 minute. Turned off the torch, and took a quick photo in complete darkness. Same procedure with the bottom photo.

Let me try to show you a photo of the torch I bought (on eBay). What you wrote is a bit too techy for me. :)

EDIT: Oops, not 140 UV lightbulbs. Just 41!

"UV 41 LEDs light burn life of around 100000 hours

2 modes of operation: Press on/off button ONCE - 21 LED mode / Press on/off button TWICE - 41 LED mode

Aluminium body

Ideal as a pocket flashlight

Can act as money detector

Twist for constant on/off