When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A well-off, upper-middle class, semi-rich cop with a fake Breitling.

Viennawatch

Soooo, the other day I was at the gym. Doing my weekly training. Yep we gotta keep fit! Besides, I've currently got nothing better to do than RWG and gym, while I'm looking for jobs.

So I had quite a good day at the gym. I went to the changing room, showered, got changed and headed out to the parking lot of the gym to go to my car. From the entrance I noticed a beautiful Range Rover Sport had just parked and a semi-muscular guy had gotten and out and started walking towards the gym entrance. He looked scary to me, either way I headed directly to the Range Rover Sport. This is one of my favorite cars, I love this piece of art. It was even in British Racing Green. That dark green color. Ohh, I just got goosebumps.

The car was parked with its back to the wall, so I realized that behind the windshield, on the driver's side was a card which said "Kriminalpolizei" These guys are the cops not in uniform, detectives, inspectors, the guys who solve the crimes. Not your everyday average typical traffic police. That card is used to put by the windshield when you are on duty downtown where parking requires special parking tickets. However these guys get to park for free when on duty and these cards allow them too. I'm sure the also abuse their privileges, but anyhow. I could safely assume that he was a well to do cop with a car like that. I took a look at the back and realized it was the petrol version. 4,2 Liter V8-supercharged 390 HP. The most expensive one in fact, roughly 85,000 euros for this behemoth, excluding any extras of course. I just LOVE this car... I decided to check out the interior and was just amazed with all the wood and leather interior.

Then i noticed something. I was in absolute SHOCK... In the cup holder, I realized was a Breitling. I was like wow, this guy really has got the bucks. Just out of curiosity, I wanted to know if I could spot a fake. I knew it was a Breitling for Bentley. In fact the Bentley GT also in British Racing Green on the dial. As this is one of the only Breitlings that I like. I still had a hard time spotting whether it was fake or not. With a car like that, this guy MUST be rich enough to afford the real watch.

However then something occurred to me. Why the hell was the seconds sub dial ticking like a quartz?!?!? Thats when I realized it was a fake; from my knowledge this watch isn't produced with a quartz movement at all. BIG BIG shock.. I started to doubt the Range Rover. Must have been some cheap chinese knock off as well!

So that was my wonderful story for the day.... I hope I live long enough to witness something like this again! Makes me even more scared to be in the rep scene, as we may have cops who REALLY know what they are dealing with in the replica world... Maybe cops will come over, who'll then confiscate my two outdated watches and wear them for themselves? You never know....

Haha :rolleyes:

Regards,

VW

Edited by Viennawatch

So I had quite a good day at the gym. I went to the changing room, showered, got changed

*daydreams*

Sorry, where we again?

It was even in British Racing Green. That dark green color. Ohh, I just got goosebumps.

British Racing Green MG. The car my parents had when I was born. :wub:

MGBChanen1.JPG

You know what they say, if it doesn't leak, it's not British.

However then something occurred to me. Why the hell was the seconds sub dial ticking like a quartz?!?!? Thats when I realized it was a fake; from my knowledge this watch isn't produced with a quartz movement at all. BIG BIG shock.. I started to doubt the Range Rover. Must have been some cheap chinese knock off as well!

I'm sure it was. Check Trevor's Store. I think I saw him advertising a Range Rover for $499.99. SHIPPED!!!

So that was my wonderful story for the day.... I hope I live long enough to witness something like this again! Makes me even scarier to be in the rep scene, as we may have cops who REALLY know what they are dealing with in the replica world... Maybe cops will come over, who'll then confiscate my two outdated watches and wear them for themselves? You never know....

Haha :rolleyes:

Great story.

But here's a wrinkle. Let me tell you a story too, this time with no name-dropping ON MY PART. Strange but true.

On another forum, there was this chap who was selling a Breitling for Bentley watch. I hope he's not reading this, but it was an ugly-ass watch. Ooh, mama, mercy. FUGLEEE.

It was all golded, and oversized, and the hash marks were all red and nasty. FUGLEEE.

Anyway -- long story short for once, turns out he was a sports agent, and some famous American sports personalities had used this very watch, since he had bought it for one famous player, who not surprisingly declined to wear it.

The second guy, too.

Finally, a very famous QB's backup wore it around for a while, before he too ixnayed the watch.

Now my question to you,

Vbarret, that is very fascinating...but with a watch like THAT, I'd not be surprised that it got passed around so much. Seems like everyone wanted to get rid of it. Even the original... I don't know...

But ahem.. no...The copper didn't make a pass at me in the shower... we passed each other in the parking lot, but yes, nice try. ;) I like women... but who's to know if he does... right... anyways...

I'd be curious to know how many law enforcement officials, famous people, government representatives actually are wearing reps. It would be really interesting to know, but whether we will ever find out.. Highly doubtful. It'd be funny to find out if anti-corruption officers, officials trying to breakdown black market syndicates actually wear reps. Hypocrisy at its highest. However, just because they are fighting for a so-called "right cause," doesn't mean they can afford the real thing, so they may be wearing reps like many of us do.

Benefit of a doubt to a cop, come on dear...just because he is a cop, doesn't mean he will take a bullet for anyone... In fact, I highly doubt they would, even though it is their responsibility in some cases.... Especially not this cop! I don't think he'd want to take his Range Rover to an ongoing street battle versus crime. Otherwise his Rover will be leaking quite a lot!

Anyways... I love these stories!!!

Regards,

VW

PS. I'm having difficulties getting this quoting thing to work... I'll figure it out in time..

Edited by Viennawatch

While at a family meal out yesterday, I noticed a smartly dressed guy having dinner with a lady with what looked like Breitling on. Closer (subtle) inspection showed it to be a rather poor electro-plated clone :p Their conversation was rather "when did you get here..." "Where are you staying..." so we figured they were an online hookup having the 'polite meeting' before 'getting down to the nitty gritty' :lol: Oh, also, I felt like a [censored]ing Mack when I showed one of my friends my 45mm Planet Ocean (explaining what I'd bought with my inheritance) and before I could say anything, he was like "Omega... Niiiccce..." at which point I explained that it was a rep :lol: He still thought it looked awesome, and said he was doing some electrical works on the home of someone who had a huge collection of watches, all boxed, and with the till receipts in the boxes. Part of me thought, "That guy's a real collector..." another part of me thought "What a [censored] for keeping the receipts in the boxes for display <_< "

PS MG's are awesome. I've wanted one since I can remember :D

Vbarret, that is very fascinating...but with a watch like THAT, I'd not be surprised that it got passed around so much. Seems like everyone wanted to get rid of it. Even the original... I don't know...

It's FUGLEE. Whether gen or rep, so yes, I think your idea is right. :)

But ahem.. no...The copper didn't make a pass at me in the shower... we passed each other in the parking lot, but yes, nice try. ;) I like women... but who's to know if he does... right... anyways...

WHAT! Not ANOTHER gay thread on RWG. :lol:

(Just like the "take a bullet" remark, it was meant half-in-jest, Viennawatch. Always remember to read my statements with a pinch of salt. Or in this case, a camel hump's full). ;)

@Freddy: Ooh, Triumph TR5 (not yours specifically). Best sports car ever? Ah well, another thread, another time, Freddy!

I work in corrections, but try to avoid wearing reps @ work...I deal with criminals on a day to day basis and I don't want them looking at me as a potential target to mug or rob because i'm wearing a flashy watch, so I usually wear my swiss army and sometimes my submariner because it doesn't look too blingy...

@vic - indeed MG's are awesome - My pops went through 2 of them while living in california - In his time, they were considered one of the coolest cars..IMO they still are

Edited by UB7

AHHHH, a corrupt law enforcement official!! AHHHHHHHHH!!! ;)

Just playing man! You know we love you UB7!!

I work in corrections, but try to avoid wearing reps @ work...I deal with criminals on a day to day basis and I don't want them looking at me as a potential target to mug or rob because i'm wearing a flashy watch, so I usually wear my swiss army and sometimes my submariner because it doesn't look too blingy...

@vic - indeed MG's are awesome - My pops went through 2 of them while living in california - In his time, they were considered one of the coolest cars..IMO they still are

Edited by Viennawatch

Never seen that show, but heard of it... I need a satellite to receive channels from Germany...

What are you missing, Viennawatch? The only good thing on German TV is Tatort, and you guys get that on ORF, I'm sure.

No offence, but whew, I thought French TV was boring, until I remembered German shows as a kid.

Can't be bothered to watch TV when I've got a speedy internet connection! ;)

Amen! Also, you can d/l any programmes you miss on Bittorent. Not that I have ever done such a dastardly thieving thing, of course. I mean, rep watches yes, but ripping off NBC, nyet.

:lol:

Charging 40 to 60 dollars for an entire DVD season of a show is theft in my opinion!

What are you missing, Viennawatch? The only good thing on German TV is Tatort, and you guys get that on ORF, I'm sure.

No offence, but whew, I thought French TV was boring, until I remembered German shows as a kid.

Amen! Also, you can d/l any programmes you miss on Bittorent. Not that I have ever done such a dastardly thieving thing, of course. I mean, rep watches yes, but ripping off NBC, nyet.

:lol:

To put another perspective on this...the guy in the Rover with a fake watch...I think that many people on this board have very nice vehicles and are passionate about their auto's. However since this is reality most of us have restricted incomes and have to pick and choose our priorities when it comes to un-necessary spending. Personally I have $150K + worth of vehicles but spend soo much on my automotive hobby that there's little else left for my other passions.

I'd hate to think that if Rep expert calls me out on my watch while getting out of one of my cars that they'd think less of me because of the watch. I really enjoy the reps, the quest for better and better reps and collecting reps as a hobby...does that make me any less of a person becuase I enjoy other luxuries and cut corners on watches?

Charging 40 to 60 dollars for an entire DVD season of a show is theft in my opinion!

What price ingenuity, intellectual output and creativity, eh?

I wonder if people complained about Vermeer's, Raphael's, and Botticelli's prices too. Knowing human nature, yes. Fortunately, we couldn't copy their output.

To put another perspective on this...the guy in the Rover with a fake watch...I think that many people on this board have very nice vehicles and are passionate about their auto's. However since this is reality most of us have restricted incomes and have to pick and choose our priorities when it comes to un-necessary spending. Personally I have $150K + worth of vehicles but spend soo much on my automotive hobby that there's little else left for my other passions.

I'd hate to think that if Rep expert calls me out on my watch while getting out of one of my cars that they'd think less of me because of the watch. I really enjoy the reps, the quest for better and better reps and collecting reps as a hobby...does that make me any less of a person becuase I enjoy other luxuries and cut corners on watches?

:1a:

There you go, the perfect answer.

I think very few rep owners in this board, at least, are smarting for money. Most of seem to have a nice lifestyle, and that requires a fair bit of excess cash. But I also reckon few or none of us are multi-millionaires.

As my mother says, middle-class people have to make choices. You can't have it all.

And unfortunately, yes, society will think less of you if they catch you wearing a rep watch. My thoughts have turned a bit sad today, because of my personal circumstances and reading Laz' terrible post.

I thought, what if I die suddenly (toi toi toi)? When they inventory my possessions, they'll find any number of wonderful watches. And then all my relatives and friends will hear (as these things tend to get out) that dear old Vic also had a fair amount of fake watches.

Will they applaud my "sticking it to the man" cynicism? Will they think I was secretly a slimeball?

I'll never forget Raymond's pain in that shop, when the watchshop owner held his gaze for 10 seconds, judging him...well, not all people were meant to be rep watch owners, perhaps, if such guilt and concern of judgementalism is involved. I'm speaking of myself, here.

Anyway, I've turned this morbid post into a positive. Let me post my idea. :)