When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do You Wear Jewelry?

Victoria

MULTIPLE CHOICE  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Wear Jewelry as well as Watches?

• Yes, I wear jewelry
    • No, no jewelry
    • Watch & Wedding Band only
    • Watch & No Wedding band (but I'm Married)

Lol. If you enter the US you are scanned...IDed...fingerprints...what the [censored]... they would have IDed you :)

But good thing anyway.

Yes, it's easier for legal aliens such as I was, because of the full complement of fingerprints, background checks, physician vettings you have to go through.

It would be doubtful that TeeJay here would have been in a John Doe situation, even if he were just in a confused state and had to be admitted to hospital -- which however, might've taken a few days to resolve.

Ahh, I never got far enough into the immigration process to find this out :lol: Oh well, at least I have a momento which serves to keep me vigilant of others ^_^

I mean, is there any country with more ID cards, more police checks, etc. etc. than Germany, and remember that Piano Man mystery some years ago? Lasted for MONTHS.

He was a Bavarian.

I remember hearing about that, but didn't realize they'd identified him as it pretty much drifted out of the news... Any other details on who he was?

Queen Louise of Sweden (British-born) loved to shop in London, like anyone else, and went totally alone to Harrods, etc. No ladies-in-waiting, no police, nothing.

But she too was concerned that something might happen to her, for example, be run over by a car, and no one would be able to identify her (LOL).

Lightning struck one day, and she put inside her handbag a long white piece of paper with this message in black capitals:

I AM THE QUEEN OF SWEDEN

:lol:

Smart lady :lol:

watch only

any other jelwery gives me the heebie jeebies.

my father lost a finger in a milling machine because of a ring....and i saw an electrician blow a finger off when he shorted 2 hi viltage breaker bars with his platnium wedding ring...poof....

also saw a really nasty pic of a lady who slipped and fell on the ice...as she fell she grabbed at a nearby fence..caught her ring on a spike...and you can guess the rest.

so....needless to say i dont wear rings. when i try they just feel uncomftrable. like a bad idea.

i even dont like wearing watches with too robust of a steel braclet..rather loose the watch than the hand. :)

ive always got my paws in some moving mechanical thing or another. ;)

sad though cause i see a lot of rings (chrome hearts) that i like.

Have to admit, I've also seen/heard my fair share of rings being the causes of industrial accidents, but fortunately, I don't have a career which would put me in such a situation where a ring could pose a danger (other than freak accidents like the lady who slipped...) An interesting story I heard on another forum was of a British dock worker who's watch strap got caught in a crane hoist, got pulled into the air (I forget how high), whereupon the strap gave way and he fell to his death :mellow:

Ahh, I never got far enough into the immigration process to find this out :lol: Oh well, at least I have a momento which serves to keep me vigilant of others ^_^

Indeed. There are some tough customers out there. :(

I remember hearing about that, but didn't realize they'd identified him as it pretty much drifted out of the news... Any other details on who he was?

This is curious. I am fairly sure I remember when the story broke that he had been shipped back to Bavaria, and that his name was Klaus or Karl. His family were happy he was back. Hmm.

But apparently, he turned out to be a Czech musician called Tomas Strnad.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/05/29/uk.pianoman/

"On Sunday the Mail on Sunday newspaper quoted Klaudius Kryspin, a fellow member of the Prague tribute band Ropotamo 20 years ago, as saying: "When I saw the picture I know it was Tomas."

Friends told the paper Strnad's age -- around 35 -- matched that of the Piano Man and he was a classically trained pianist whose first love was always Chopin, Mozart and Liszt.

Kryspin's twin brother Richard, a computer analyst in Columbus, Ohio -- the band's guitarist -- told the paper Strnad had mental problems."

Blimey, he washed up in the Isle of Sheppey! LOL. Went there once. Deadly dull, as all of Kent is, but sweet, as all of Kent is.

Smart lady :lol:

Lord Mountbatten's sister, BTW, and thus the Duke of Edinburgh's auntie. ;)

Watches

-- Modern - mostly stainless, mostly bracelets

-- Vintage - mostly gold, some stainless and chrome, some pockets with chain.... all varieties of bracelets, some leather straps

Titanium ring (size 16)

22" Strand of black pearls

When I was younger, several earrings.

No tattoos.

Indeed. There are some tough customers out there. :(

That's for sure. I've always found myself to be a fairly good judge of character, but sometimes I've been swayed by positive opinions about someone from others, only to find out that the person really was a scumbag afterall (ala my fiance's Bio Dad :lol: ) At least this way, I havea reminder to remain vigilant, could serve an identifying purpose should the worst ever happen, and, from an aesthetic point of view, is much more interesting than wearing the conventional double dogtags as worn by US Forces :)

This is curious. I am fairly sure I remember when the story broke that he had been shipped back to Bavaria, and that his name was Klaus or Karl. His family were happy he was back. Hmm.

But apparently, he turned out to be a Czech musician called Tomas Strnad.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/05/29/uk.pianoman/

"On Sunday the Mail on Sunday newspaper quoted Klaudius Kryspin, a fellow member of the Prague tribute band Ropotamo 20 years ago, as saying: "When I saw the picture I know it was Tomas."

Friends told the paper Strnad's age -- around 35 -- matched that of the Piano Man and he was a classically trained pianist whose first love was always Chopin, Mozart and Liszt.

Kryspin's twin brother Richard, a computer analyst in Columbus, Ohio -- the band's guitarist -- told the paper Strnad had mental problems."

Fascinating. It's always interesting when such anomolies occur in the news, it's just a shame that more breaking events sometimes push them to the back of the queue and people forget about them.

Blimey, he washed up in the Isle of Sheppey! LOL. Went there once. Deadly dull, as all of Kent is, but sweet, as all of Kent is.

Never been there, although I have been to Seven Oaks, so I could sit with a friend while they had a tattoo done :)

Lord Mountbatten's sister, BTW, and thus the Duke of Edinburgh's auntie. ;)

Ahhh :)

I just noticed your shoutbox about the 100% PMs. Did you get the messages I sent earlier about the straps?

Narikaa=ballerific. To think I was self concious with my pinky ring! Plenty of married women would envy single 3ct, high grade diamond on a ring! Do you have any pictures of the rings, I'm interested to see the settings, since I need some ideas.

PS, what is the deal with everyone from the UK/Europe thinking that they're going to be randomly killed and dismembered upon entry into the US? Seriously...

Up until recently, it was just the watch and a crucifix around my neck. Now that I'm married, I also wear a gold wedding band.

I was never much for jewelry. I always saw wristwatches as "mens jewelery" and the only real option for men (ya, lots of guys wear gold bracelets (well, used to in the 80's), or earings, but those things never worked for me). But, I will say that a well placed and artistically done tattoo can be considered jewelry for men. Again, it's all personal taste.

I may wear my Mason's ring from time to time, but usually only for Mason and/or Shriner functions.

SR

Interesting that there was a category for my preference, married with no ring but wearing a watch. Never much cared for any type of jewelry other than the timepiece. I am a lucky guy, married for 21 years and my beautiful wife does not care a twit about jewels, diamonds or even watches. She does not need them and knows it I suppose, although I have tried to buy jewelry for her, she would rather save the money for automatic weapons and explosives. ;) My watch hobby therefore has been a bone of contention to say the least. :(

I usually wear my family gold signet ring. My dad has the older version, which is vast, lightly decorated with floral swirls on the large surfaces (which would otherwise be empty) and solid silver. His, which he never wears, was made in the 1600's.

Until a few years ago I often wore a captive bead earring (quite a thick gauge and black) and a platinum wedding band on the continental side (because of the signet ring on my left hand). I divorced and no longer wear it but still love that ring. My current partner isn't so keen to see it around and I must work out what to do with it.

The crowd that I grew up with frown on jewelry (other than signet rings but only if you have a title). Wedding rings were not the done thing either. It's pretty funny really as the moment you step into the realm of formal occassions (black tie, etc.) you start seeing fanatastic cufflinks, shirt studs and a range of ornate accessories (lighters, cigarette cases, swords...!).

A previous wedding ring saved my finger and possilby more. I was on a yacht and I was manually guiding the lowering of the anchor when my hand got trapped between the chain and the thing the chain runs over. The ring stopped my hand being crushed. When I got free, the ring had been squashed into an oval and I had to get it off painfully fast to prevent it cutting off circulation.

Being brought up in an upper middle class Jewish family in Long Island New York I have been around bling my whole life. My Grandfather owned several gold watches, rings bracelets, ETC. My Grandmother and Mom are always blinged to the gills.

I normally wear a ring on each pinkie, diamond huggie earrings (yes one in each ear), a princess cut diamond solitare in my left above the hoop, one of a few necklaces I own in yellow gold each at least a half inch thick and 24 inches long, a braclet and a watch. If that isn't enough I wear gold rimmed wood temple prescription Cartier eyeglasses. This is if I am wearing a gold or two tone watch.

For the laid back days when I wear a stainless watch I have platinum rimless Fred Lunettes, a thick silver byzantine, White gold diamond pinky ring, Rolex or diamond bracelet and white gold diamond hoops.

I also try to match my belt buckle and bits on my Loafers to the gold or silver. Now, I'd like to see anyone here top that............... :lol:

Some may say I'm gaudy but you only live once.

As Zero Mostel (from Longuyland too?) said in The Producers, "If you got it, flaunt it baby!!".

I like discretion, restraint and a modicum of good taste, but I'm not beyond matching you lunette for lunette, JFreeman. We could definitely hang! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Being brought up in an upper middle class Jewish family in Long Island New York I have been around bling my whole life. My Grandfather owned several gold watches, rings bracelets, ETC. My Grandmother and Mom are always blinged to the gills.

I normally wear a ring on each pinkie, diamond huggie earrings (yes one in each ear), a princess cut diamond solitare in my left above the hoop, one of a few necklaces I own in yellow gold each at least a half inch thick and 24 inches long, a braclet and a watch. If that isn't enough I wear gold rimmed wood temple prescription Cartier eyeglasses. This is if I am wearing a gold or two tone watch.

For the laid back days when I wear a stainless watch I have platinum rimless Fred Lunettes, a thick silver byzantine, White gold diamond pinky ring, Rolex or diamond bracelet and white gold diamond hoops.

I also try to match my belt buckle and bits on my Loafers to the gold or silver. Now, I'd like to see anyone here top that............... :lol:

Wow...you go to work done up like that? No offense, but I'd have trouble taking someone dressed like that seriously. Also, just because you were brought up in an upper middle class Jewish family in LI (don't know where though, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that you were raised in the 5 towns) doesn't mean that a remote majority of 5 towns LI Jews dress or act the same way. My father was raised in a very upper-middle class Jewish household in Great Neck; he still plays golf with some of his friends from Fresh Meadow CC, in fact. You'll be hard pressed to find someone who is more nicely, elegantly and classily dressed than he, and you'll never find him or any of his friends (pretty much all of them are Jewish) blinged out like that. If you and your family choose to outfit yourselves in a "bling" manner, that's fine, it is not my decision. However, I take issue with false stereotypes that are much more of a modern phenomenon among 1st generation Americans than anything.

Rant over. ;)

P.S- I also match belt buckles, watches, and cufflinks with one another. :)

What is your title? Cheers

Dude, that's asking what my name is and I'm not comfortable with giving that out here. I have however over the years been given many titles by friends, colleagues, enemies and complete stangers... ;)

I think it would be cool if we felt somewhat like the Elizabethans did about blokes and jewelry without getting hung up about sexual orientation, class, and other stuff. I lived in the States for quite a few years and loved that it was more possible to do your own thing without running into as many judgement boundaries as seem to exist in England. As a bud of mine was fond of saying, "Joke 'em if they can't take a f**k." On the flip side I also recognise that people really like feeling that they're part of a clan/tribe. Part of that is saying what you are but just as much, if not more sometimes, is saying what you're not. One theory about the origin of some Jewish law was that it in part arose in distinction to folks like the Canaanites, who for example celebrated one major religious festival with kid goat cooked in milk.

Dude, that's asking what my name is and I'm not comfortable with giving that out here. I have however over the years been given many titles by friends, colleagues, enemies and complete stangers... ;)

I think it would be cool if we felt somewhat like the Elizabethans did about blokes and jewelry without getting hung up about sexual orientation, class, and other stuff. I lived in the States for quite a few years and loved that it was more possible to do your own thing without running into as many judgement boundaries as seem to exist in England. As a bud of mine was fond of saying, "Joke 'em if they can't take a f**k." On the flip side I also recognise that people really like feeling that they're part of a clan/tribe. Part of that is saying what you are but just as much, if not more sometimes, is saying what you're not. One theory about the origin of some Jewish law was that it in part arose in distinction to folks like the Canaanites, who for example celebrated one major religious festival with kid goat cooked in milk.

My apology. I did not intend to out you or cause you discomfort. I intended the question only in a generic way and was looking for a general answer such as a "Baronet" or "Knight" et alii. It was my bad form to be so forward. Cheers

Wow...you go to work done up like that? No offense, but I'd have trouble taking someone dressed like that seriously. Also, just because you were brought up in an upper middle class Jewish family in LI (don't know where though, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that you were raised in the 5 towns) doesn't mean that a remote majority of 5 towns LI Jews dress or act the same way. My father was raised in a very upper-middle class Jewish household in Great Neck; he still plays golf with some of his friends from Fresh Meadow CC, in fact. You'll be hard pressed to find someone who is more nicely, elegantly and classily dressed than he, and you'll never find him or any of his friends (pretty much all of them are Jewish) blinged out like that. If you and your family choose to outfit yourselves in a "bling" manner, that's fine, it is not my decision. However, I take issue with false stereotypes that are much more of a modern phenomenon among 1st generation Americans than anything.

Yes I go to work like that. I'm the boss. My bosses were all flashy before I became the boss as well. I have been in the South Florida sales industry for 17 years. People in my business like to flaunt.

As for the LI jews, I'm not trying to put all of us in one category, but for the era and our circle, most were flashy and everyone drove a Cadillac. Not stereotyping but my own experience.

@VBarrett: I am also an afficianado of eyewear. Love the Freds and gold and wood. France makes the best eyewear.